ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Inifinity 605cs - underwhelmed?

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2001, 10:00 AM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi everyone
Fitted the Infinity 605cs speakers a while back and have to say I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be after reading about them.

I love the clarity of the high frequencies (even to the extent of thinking they're too clear/loud at times!), but am seriously underwhelmed by the level of bass.

I assume there must be a fair level of bass (the rear view mirror dances in time to the music ;-)) but I just don't seem to be able to 'hear' it.

When other people fitted theirs did they connect the terminals on the cross over box that reduced the tweater response? (going from memory - I seem to remember there was a connector to reduce it by some amount?) Would this make the bass seem better? I dont want to turn down the high frequencies on the graphic equaliser as I don't like the sound when doing this either.

Would fitting some new rear speakers help solve this? I'd rather do this as I don't want a sub - need the boot space and I'd probably only bugger it up fitting it anyway.

The head unit should be ok - its fairly new and 4*50watt.

I like all sorts of music so its not really aimed at one type - the best sounding album I have in the car is Dave Ralph/Tranceport but I also like various artists such as Joe Satriani, Gary Moore, Anything 80s poppy, some housey/trancey stuff, Robert Miles, Mike Oldfield, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi.....

Any ideas gratefully accepted ......

Thanks
Nick

PS: Dont seem to listen to cds/mds much anymore unless on the motorway since getting the PPP ...

But there and again 45 miles on the motorway each way to/from work means I still listen to rather a lot :<
Old 11 September 2001, 10:49 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you got the phase of your midbass drivers correct? This can have the effect of sucking out bass.

If there's enough sound pressure to make your mirror dance, but you're not hearing it, I'd guess that the left hand is cancelling the right hand out.

To check this, swap polarity of the left hand driver and see if it gets better or worse acoustically...
Old 11 September 2001, 10:57 AM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Hi Chiark
Thanks for such a quick reply.

I'm a bit dim when it comes to anything non-computerish - so can I clarify - are you suggesting reversing the wires that go to the big speaker on the crossover box?

Lets just say that the fact my installation works is proof of how good the instructions are ... cos I managed to fit 'em..

Cheers
Nick
Old 11 September 2001, 02:07 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Another thing to remember is that the 605's are a mid-range speaker. This means that altohugh they are pretty clear, the bass will not me 'mega'.

I finished up installing a 10" sub in the boot then reducing almost all the base from the car speakers. Sounds fantastic now, also has the added attraction that turning up the sounds doesn't make the doors rattle

Laurence
Old 11 September 2001, 02:52 PM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

OK - So Im about to show just how little I actually know ....

I don't understand how the sub box in the boot makes the sound in the front half of the car sound so good. Surely the fact that theres a parcel shelf and back seat in the way 'lose it'?

Given a lack of skills in DIY and the amount of work needed to change the back speakers would putting a sub in the boot make that much difference? How is it fixed? If I put one in it would have to be removable at short notice.

My stereo (Sony MDX-C8500R) has a sub out - would this be good enough to do the job. I really don't want to be playing about with amps and suchlike.

I could see a case for just connecting a sub in the boot to the stereo out and then just unplugging it when needing the space. Will this cause problems with the changer being in the boot?

Any suggestions for either a good sub thats not too expensive or a good site that gives information on how they compare (i.e. what effect size has etc..) would be welcomed.

Sorry for so many questions
Nick
Old 11 September 2001, 03:12 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

before the sub, try moving the balance completely to the left (or right) & seeing if there's more bass. If there is, then the speakers are probably out of phase - just change one the pairs of cables over at either the speaker end or the head unit end (but not both!). If there isn't more bass, then you need a sub
Subs do a good job - just stick'em in the boot & you can hear them up front (they lose something on the way, but that's the stuff they're not very good at!). You can get ones with amps built in, so there's no playing with extra amps, although there can be quite a bit of cabling... I think most of them can be set up for 'quick removal' if you want the space. And it will live in the boot quite happily with a changer!
As for a good sub... anyone?
Old 11 September 2001, 06:48 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I'm not at all surprised you are disappointed if you are running them off the headunit. As I have said in similar postings, the Infinity 605CS are not particularly sensitive - there are some Kenwoods that are literally double the volume off the same source. Your 4x50W headunit will be giving an honest 4X12W. Lack of power means you will lack bass in particular. These speakers can take about EIGHT TIMES as much power and will sound much better amplified, and can give an impressive amount of bass. I can get all three mirrors vibrating and feel bass in my back and calves from these speakers with my sub disconnected. They are so good I nearly considered selling my sub/amp to save 12kg and get 1% increase in performance, but then I got a new CD and "appreciated" the sub again. I feed them from a 150WRMS rated amp, although it is Kenwood, so the figures are at 14.4V. Personally, I would try a 4 channel amp on the seat back and run it bridged to 2 channels as your next step. Then if you want to add a sub you can unbridge it and connect a sub, but you may be pleasantly surprised.