Advice sought ... what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2007, 09:40 PM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice sought ... what to get?

Hi all,
Looking for some advice - got a Spec-D with the Pioneer DEH-P70BT headunit. Thinking about upgrading the sound system - got a budget of about a grand at most to spend.

One proviso is that I'll need to get it fitted, managed to fit a Vibe 10" active sub in the boot and CTD Classics in a prior Impreza, but I'm not looking to wire an amp etc, and I hate the rattles when things dont go back the way they were!

So, I think keeping the headunit makes sense, it seems reasonable, has the ipod connection and bluetooth.

So its speakers, amp(?), and sub that are up for thought. I've had the CTD Classics, liked them apart from thinking they were a bit too "bright" (tweeters too powerful?). Liked the sub as it balanced things out a little. So what speakers, sub and amp (incl fitting) would you all suggest, and where are good places to get it from, and fitted around the North West?

I don't need loads of bass, just enough to balance things out. If there is a good sub that would fit in the car rather than the boot that would be a bonus too.

Any thoughts?
Old 21 May 2007, 11:53 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

One of the most oft given pieces of advice when buying HiFi is "Don't buy it without listening to it first." This is because our taste differs as to what sounds great, what merely good and what cr@p.

Speakers are probably the one piece of ICE you NEED to listen to. If they don't sound good in a showroom, how will you like them in car?

Visit either a GOOD ICE dealer, or have a visit to a Halfords, pref a large store, and take someone with you. Audition the speakers, then do a blind test. That's what I did, and bought Sony as I liked the sound.

My lad has just done the same and has Kenwood speakers now.

Alcazar
Old 21 May 2007, 01:54 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm watching this thread with interest as I'm about to do exactly the same thing in exactly the same car and with an identical budget.

Except I'm going to fit it myself as I've done a few cars and it isn't hard. You just have to take your time.

I'm looking at a stealth box in the boot, unknown sub as yet, but probably something well known and respected such as Alpine, Rockford Fosgate or JBL maybe. Size most likely 10" as I don't want to go silly. And the bootlid having a bit of dynamat slapped on in the bits between the bracing.

Front speaker wise, Focal and Infinity componenets seem to be popular here and someone mentioned Vectra spacers as doing perfectly, though there are car specific spacers for the Scoob that I found on SN searches which seem to be recommended. More dynamat arount the spacers and speaker location in the front doors then.

Rear speakers, no ideas as yet, but most likely quality drop in replacements as I don't think they do much. and a bit of dynamat there for luck too.

Amp wise, I think amping the fronts and the sub should do me just fine. Undecided on what amp or amps to use, but would like to only use one, so that means a 3/4 channel jobbie. I need to swot up on amps, but I'm sure alpine stuff is of a good and suitable quality for me.

I'm going to try that all with the Pioneer headunit as it should give a good sound, allows you to tweak the sound an awful lot and has a built in high pass filter which I'll use on the front and rears.

So, come on SN'ers, give nraponi and myself some pointers here.....
Old 21 May 2007, 10:46 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Come on you lot, anyone out there help us out..?
Old 22 May 2007, 08:22 AM
BigBoots
Scooby Regular

A few weeks ago, I went to Source in Sheffield (Welcome to Source Sounds in Sheffield We Sell Great Car Audio Essential for Pimped up Cars.) to have a listen in their demo area. They have Focal, MTX, JL Audio on demo.

I was really impressed by the Focal stuff (165 K2P Speakers : £390, FP 4.75 : £400) on demo. These two along with some decent cabling and dynamat xtreme will be somewhere around your £1000 budget. If you can stretch the budget, around an extra £400 will get you a Focal sub as well.

When I get some funds, I'll probably be having these installed in my 06 WRX.

However, as alcazar said, go and have a listen for yourself taking some of your favourite music. For example, the Focal stuff will sound completely different to the MTX stuff.

Don't know whereabouts you are in the North West, but I'm in Rochdale and it's just a quick blast over the tops to get to Source. Alternatively, you may be closer to a place near the Trafford Centre called "SQ Plus".

These are the 2 places I considered to provide a full service (supply and fit) regarding getting my audio upgraded.

Ian

Last edited by BigBoots; 22 May 2007 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Remembered the name of other place
Old 22 May 2007, 07:29 PM
midas303
Scooby Regular

Ive fitted a few systems into different cars ive owned, I would recomend Alpha Car Audio, Bolton.

They will offer a balanced system for your budget and not try to sell you something you dont want. By all means go and have a look and listen in Halfords but don't buy.

I think Alpha will fit for you but I'm not sure I've only fitted myself.

Don't forget sound deadening, just as important as your system. I use a product from Noise Killer, probably not as good as Dynamat but will save loads of money. They also make custom kits for most cars.

If you are looking at a sub in a box. Box clever from Norwich will make a custom box on a CNC maching. He made me one for a JL 15 ported, for about £100 dont waste money on a cheap shop bought box. They need designing for the individual speaker to get the best sound.

If you need phone numbers im me and I will look them up for you.

I am just about to fit a new system into my Scooby using Alphasonic reference components for the fronts and 800 series 6x9's in the rear shelf. JL15 in a sealed box in the boot pushed about by an Alpine 1000 Watt mono block, Alphasonic and Alpine amps for the other speakers.

One last thing to think about, dont scrimp on the price of cables, they can make all the difference.

Hope this is of some use.
Old 23 May 2007, 07:21 AM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the feedback - I'll give both Bolton and Leeds a visit hopefully.

A follow on question - is it better to get noise deadening at the cost of getting cheaper speakers?

As an aside went to a well known shop in Preston yesterday, they wanted 100 quid for the front (and the same for the back) to do the sound deadening, and by the time everything was covered I had about 250 of the budget left for the components and sub! Hopefully will get more for my money at some of these other shops...
Old 23 May 2007, 08:16 AM
BigBoots
Scooby Regular

From what I've read, noise deadening is pretty much a prerequisite to getting decent sound. You can get a dynamat xtreme door kit for about £70 from here (Dynamat Complete Door Kit - Extreme £69.99 including VAT. DYN10435. Buy discounted car audio online at In-Car Express) and I think I was quoted around £80 for fitting (front doors only). That spends about £150 of your budget and if you want the rears doing as well then we're probably up to £300 just for the sound deadening alone.

However, you really need to discuss your requirements and budget with a good dealer who will, hopefully, give you advice on how to get the most for your money.

As you appear to be located a bit more north west than me, you may want to have a look at this list (MMSA InCar Expert :: List Shops by Town) with the Blackpool or Burnley dealers being a bit more local to you.
Old 23 May 2007, 09:32 AM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Thankyou for that info - its really useful, not sure whether the 100 quid was to just fit or included the sound deadening - I should have checked.

A follow-on question - would a really good set of components be better than a basic set of components and a cheap sub?

Cheers
Old 23 May 2007, 09:40 AM
midas303
Scooby Regular

I am no expert, but would fit good quality front speakers with a decent amp. As the front is where you want good clear sound. If you buy a decent 4 channel amp you could fit 6x9's on the rear shelf and control levels front to rear with your head unit if it has two pre outs. At a later date you could add a sub. With subs it is important to get the right sized box or you could end up with a £300 sub sounding like a £50 sub. For subs the quality of the amp is not quite so important so for a buget sub you would be better to go for a decent speaker with a cheap amp and upgrade the amp as funds allow.

What is important for base is the size of the cable used. For base the thicker the cable the better, within reason. The mid and high frequencies dont require such thick cable but better than supplied should be used.

Watch out though as some manufacturers just use more plastic surround than more wire so looks impressive untill you look at the strands or lack of poking out the end.

Sound deadening from noise killer can be bought in sheets approx 2m x 1m for about £60 a lot more for your money compared to dynamat. Every one will talk about dynamat but there are other products available.

The shops I mentioned above also provide mail order.

If this is going to be an ongoing project for you. You would probably be better fitting a 4 channel amp with decent fronts and rear shelf speakers, adding sound deadening and sub when money allowed.

Good luck deciding, at the end of the day it is you who has to make the decision we cant tell you what to do but pass on some of the knowledge we have learned allong the way.

Midas303