Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

What Speaker for P1 standard fitting

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2001, 07:25 PM
satori
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to upgrade all the speakers in my P1.
Can anyone tell me what is best and which will fit into the current fitting without having to make any cuts etc..

Thanks

Pete
Old 11 May 2001, 09:54 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hi Pete,

I haven't replied before as I do not know categorically what speaker fittings are in a P1... (and, by the looks of it, neither does anyone else)

Anyhow, at a guess, I'd say that they should be the same as MY98 onwards, and take 6 inch speakers to drop in, or 6.5 at a squeeze. I'll speak nicely to Rum and dismantle his doors for him sometime . Given that a 22B is the same, I'd hope that this has some basis of fact...

Looking at the current threads, you'll see that the Infinity stuff is well liked and popular, and that there's two different ranges (90 quid and about 130 quid, IIRC)

Sound is also a very personal taste - what music do you listen to? This probably affects recommendations... The Infinity stuff is a good compromise between neutrality and a more forceful approach, and I like 'em for the money.

Also, prices for a pair of speakers range from 50 quid upwards to as much as you want to spend. I'd say 150 quid will get you an very good pair. What sort of set-up do you have at home? Do you like music to be "forcibly" played at you, or do you prefer neutrality?

Give us a clue on the music tastes and price range, and you'll find people leaping in.
Old 11 May 2001, 12:51 PM
satori
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help guys....NOT
Old 11 May 2001, 03:36 PM
wacko
Scooby Regular

I will be upgrading mine in the summer - August time. If you can wait, i can tell you what i went for. Maybe of some help ?
Old 11 May 2001, 05:25 PM
HAPPY
Scooby Regular

i should be doing mine next week.
i too was looking for answers on here a few days ago but i will have to strip and search and then drive around for a few days with no door trim in.
i will mail yu my findings together with pictures if you like!

pete
Old 11 May 2001, 06:07 PM
satori
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yeah thanks eveyone, appreciate any help as it seems like a minefield out there what with everyone claiming their set-up is the best!!!

Chiark - My system at home is the excellent and very neutral Audiolab 8000A/8000P set-up feeding a pair of pro Tannoy studio monitors (v good). As you would expect what comes out it is a crystal clear unadulterated sound which is what I like. My musical taste don't really help as I like everything anything from deep jungle bass lines through to poppy stuff like coldplay. Only thing I dont bother with too much are the classical tunes such as Mozart etc.. I don't want to be audiophillic(!) about my car setup but i do want the best possible sound I can get, depending on whats possible I would spend up to about a grand!

Thanks for your help guys.

Pete
Old 11 May 2001, 06:12 PM
satori
Scooby Regular

Oh by the way just spoke to a car audio guy who said they were 16's in the back and 6 x 9's in the front! The front ones look like a pain to change!
P
Old 12 May 2001, 01:51 AM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Check out the CDT 3 ways if you have that much money.If you're looking for sq,these babies deliver.
Old 14 May 2001, 08:31 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Wotcha Pete,

Out on a limb here, but I'd guess that the chap is wrong in both bits of info - there's 16 cm speakers in front and back, and the fronts are absolutely simple to fit whereas the backs are a swine. That's at least the situation with the 4 door Impreza, but I'd love to be proved wrong . I really doubt the 6x9 up front..

A bit more details on the back speakers: they're currently 16cm speakers on a metal plate, which is about a 5.5x8.5 hole - some 6x9s fit in easily, others need metal to be cut.

If you do like your music, then I'm with Rockin' on the choice of speakers - I run the CD Technologies HD62s, which I find are really pretty neutral. (I run Kef Q35s from a Rega Mira amp and Rega planet CD player, so it's the same sort of ethos as your home system - neutrality...) I actually got them as B stock from the factory direct at a great price because the baskets for the drivers had a scratch on them - guearanteed acoustically the same as the top dollar stuff.

Steve's recommending a 3 way, which would be a challenge to fit as you'd need to mount woofer (will go in stock locations with some MDF spacers), midrange and tweeter. Midrange would have to be mounted in either the kick panels, or in the doors. A kickpanel install would be a challenge in an impreza due to the cabling in the driver's side...

So... For a grand... I'm assuming that your head unit is quite decent
Decent 4 way amplifier (there's a second hand Phoenix Gold amp on here which would suit you brilliantly) = £300ish?
CD Technologies HD62s or similar £300ish direct from factory
Subwoofer + box maybe hung from parcel shelf = £300 ish?

With 100 quid for beer money.

If you're in the Yorkshire area, you're welcome to have a listen to the HD62s in Impreza doors to make your own mind up, and Audio Images in Bradford apparently can make a wonderful box that may be just the ticket?

Nick.

[This message has been edited by chiark (edited 14 May 2001).]
Old 21 May 2001, 03:11 PM
Doc1
Scooby Regular

hiya

This is the reply I got to exactly the same question. (From VDO dayton)

Dear Rob

Please see attached the system diagram for our P1.

As you can see, we are running VDO QM1320's in the front and QM6930 on the
rear parcel shelf

If you want the diagram i;ll send it to you

Cheers

Rob.

Old 22 May 2001, 08:12 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

To get to the rear speakers I removed the seats, side plastic trims that go next to the rear window and then had to cut the parcel shelf away from the window sealant.

Not a nice job
Old 22 May 2001, 12:16 PM
satori
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, but I have already put in some new ICE. And I can tell you it was a bit of a nightmare. Fronts no problem I went for Cadence Speakers which are excellent! Need a bass box though as they are very high and mid range. Fantastic when not too loud though! The backs were big problems though as the standard speakers are on a custom mounting which need modifying in order to fit anything decent, I would be very surprised if there is something that will slot right into the back!!! Anyway we got there in the end but made the best of a bad job having to snip out the old crap things in order mount the Cadence from the back with some ad-hoc drilling. You have been warned, the guy who fitted never wants to see a P1 again! I would love to know how other have approached the back speakers. I think im going to take them out some time and get a custom mounting made!
Pete

[This message has been edited by satori (edited 22 May 2001).]