Hidden Rear end Bass

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2005, 01:16 PM
grey-wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hidden Rear end Bass

Hi,

I am after a touch more bass from my system, but I am not overly keen on the large Sub box cluttering up my boot
I am not into huge amounts of volume but a bass that sounds the part without damaging my eardrums (Quality rather than Quantity :-) )
The car is a MY05 Wrx (4 door), I am interested in any ideas. pics or known solutions.
Looking at some of the posts on this site I am confident that you will be able to advise

Rgds
Old 12 July 2005, 01:45 PM
scoobynut555
Scooby Regular

How about something like this:

http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/sho...ub+Amp+Kits%2F
Old 12 July 2005, 02:19 PM
grey-wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi Scoobynut555,

many thanks, that looks like a solution, (should keep the missus happy with that thing vibrating under her seat too )

I would be interested to hear if anyone has one of these units installed or if anyone else has any other ideas

Regards
Old 12 July 2005, 03:05 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by grey-wrx
Hi Scoobynut555,

many thanks, that looks like a solution, (should keep the missus happy with that thing vibrating under her seat too )
Yeah, looks a good solution. Just wired up a 200w amp and 2x 10"subs in boot, got to say absolutely pants - not worth bothering with. Its a good job I already had the subs cos I'd have ben really p1ssed off if i'd gone out and bought them and found that they were so ineffective in the boot.

Am deffo going to go for genesis/kenwood 6x9 subs or the under seat jobbie now.
Old 12 July 2005, 03:15 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

I tried the under seat option but was amazed at how little space there is there (on a classic). Be sure that you measure well before you try.
I ended up taking this route:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...hlight=kenwood

I'm happy with the results. The only downside is that it screws up the sound for rear seat passengers but I never really use the stereo with any volume if I have passengers.
Old 12 July 2005, 07:31 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbwrx300
Yeah, looks a good solution. Just wired up a 200w amp and 2x 10"subs in boot, got to say absolutely pants - not worth bothering with. Its a good job I already had the subs cos I'd have ben really p1ssed off if i'd gone out and bought them and found that they were so ineffective in the boot.

Am deffo going to go for genesis/kenwood 6x9 subs or the under seat jobbie now.
a 200w amp really isnt going to get you anywhere, in most cars thats not much power for a sub let alone the scooby. You need atleast 300W RMS i think to make it worth having the sub, but a 200W amp power 2 amps... thats not going to be worth it at all!

ScoobyDoo69
Old 13 July 2005, 06:03 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
a 200w amp really isnt going to get you anywhere, in most cars thats not much power for a sub let alone the scooby. You need atleast 300W RMS i think to make it worth having the sub, but a 200W amp power 2 amps... thats not going to be worth it at all!

ScoobyDoo69
TBH I only bought the amp to power 6x9s and thought I'd give the subs I already have a bash just to see what happened.

Until i sort out the 6x9 subs can i run both the amp channels through one sub and will it make any difference?

Actually - hold that thought, i'll go and try it now.
Old 13 July 2005, 06:15 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

TBH I only bought the amp to power 6x9s and thought I'd give the subs I already have a bash just to see what happened.

Until i sort out the 6x9 subs can i run both the amp channels through one sub and will it make any difference?

Actually - hold that thought, i'll go and try it now.
Nope, no difference, sub level controller on head unit on 0 or turned up full makes no difference at all to sound in the cabin, although when boot is open you can hear the bass.
Old 13 July 2005, 06:50 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

how are you running both channels through one sub? have you bridged them in the way that the amp suggests or are you just running 2 sets of signals to the sub?
normally when bridged, it uses the +ive of 1 and the -ive of another. and how have you got the sub positioned?
cheers

ScoobyDoo69
Old 15 July 2005, 10:54 AM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
how are you running both channels through one sub? have you bridged them in the way that the amp suggests or are you just running 2 sets of signals to the sub?
normally when bridged, it uses the +ive of 1 and the -ive of another. and how have you got the sub positioned?
cheers

ScoobyDoo69
Only just picked up on this, had no idea about bridging, as nothing in the amp manual says anything about it. Just done it in the works car park and frightened the fooking birds off the trees in the park behind.

I now have a big smile on my face and a massive improvement just by using one of the subs in this way. Great news i'm finishing work in 2 hours and will see what happens when I have a play with the settings.

Thanks
John.
Old 15 July 2005, 11:16 AM
scoobnoob05
Scooby Regular

Only just picked up on this, had no idea about bridging, as nothing in the amp manual says anything about it. Just done it in the works car park and frightened the fooking birds off the trees in the park behind.

I now have a big smile on my face and a massive improvement just by using one of the subs in this way. Great news i'm finishing work in 2 hours and will see what happens when I have a play with the settings.

Thanks
John.
If there is nothing in the manual about bridging it I would be very cautious about 'just doing it' mate

an amp needs to be specifically designed to meet the current demand of bridging two channels together or it will end up with some VERY hot components inside

and heat is not good cos when the heat gets too much components tend to 'let out smoke'

And we all know that everything electrical runs on smoke power, let it out and it wont work! simple electronics rule

J
Old 15 July 2005, 02:04 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobnoob05
If there is nothing in the manual about bridging it I would be very cautious about 'just doing it' mate

an amp needs to be specifically designed to meet the current demand of bridging two channels together

And we all know that everything electrical runs on smoke power, let it out and it wont work! simple electronics rule

J
I havent got it to hand at the moment. Its a Sony Xplod 2x100rms amp. I agree with going with the instructions and you probably know more than i do on whats possible and whats not so i'll disconnect it until i get home.
Old 15 July 2005, 02:19 PM
scoobnoob05
Scooby Regular

I havent got it to hand at the moment. Its a Sony Xplod 2x100rms amp. I agree with going with the instructions and you probably know more than i do on whats possible and whats not so i'll disconnect it until i get home.
looking on sonys website they all seem to be ok bridged, but without knowing the model number cant be sure

not trying to scare ya mate, just dont want you killing ya amp

J