Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Best in-car (portable) sat nav? Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2005, 02:00 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best in-car (portable) sat nav? Your thoughts?

Chaps

Going to buy a sat-nav for the car - not an ICE one but a portable one. Was looking and waiting for the new TomTom 700 that comes out soon, but I do seem to read many complaints about tomtom's mapping, and that fact that Garmin (for example) use a different supplier who's maps are generally acknowledged to be better. Anyone any thoughts on their sat nav's and, better still, do you know of any sites that can provive a good comparison between the various models...

Thanks

Andy
Old 17 May 2005, 03:28 PM
05WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Chaps

Going to buy a sat-nav for the car - not an ICE one but a portable one. Was looking and waiting for the new TomTom 700 that comes out soon, but I do seem to read many complaints about tomtom's mapping, and that fact that Garmin (for example) use a different supplier who's maps are generally acknowledged to be better. Anyone any thoughts on their sat nav's and, better still, do you know of any sites that can provive a good comparison between the various models...

Thanks

Andy
TomTom and NAVMAN both use TeleAtlas mapping.

I've got a classic TomTom GO with only the Benelux maps (and major western europe roads)... it's usually fine, but you need to use big SD cards to get more maps on. The new 700 has a 2.5GB harddisk built-in with all street-level mapping of western-europe already installed. It's also got a faster processor and bluetooth. The cradle is good too because you plug the charger into that, so when you leave the car, you just quick-release the TomTom unit, but the wiring all stays put in a tidy sort of way.

I've also got the new NAVMAN iCN510 (GOLD EDITION) which comes with three CDs with all the street-level maps of western-europe. I've had to buy a 1GB SD card for it.. but even with that, you still can't fit all the maps on in one go... not a real big problem unless you are going on a huge european-scandanavian 6 month marathon and don't have a laptop to exchange maps.

NAVMAN also do the iCN650 which, like the TomTom GO700, has a 2GB harddisk and all the maps pre-installed. It's abit pricier... but at least it's currently available, unlike the TomTom Go 700 which isn't out yet. There are some deals to be had on the 650 (Lowest I've seen is around 899 Euro for a new one).

I don't think you would be disappointed with the 700 (I certainly haven't been with the classic GO in 1.5 years of ownership...)
Old 17 May 2005, 10:24 PM
SCC PERFORMANCE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Chaps

Thanks

Andy

Hi Mate

I use a Navman Icn510,

Its very very good, easy to use with all the UK maps installed, its basically plug in and use

seen em on offer in PC world for £399

Rob
Old 18 May 2005, 09:34 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Navman 510 for me too...nice bit of kit and slimmer and more compact than most of the other units, but still easy to use with clear mapping.
Old 18 May 2005, 10:50 AM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

I've got a Tom Tom classic.

I think it's generally excellent. But like every system it's only as good as the maps. Tom Tom have just released a map update to bring it more up to date but many people are disappointed that the faults they've been reporting for years are still there - this is a good source of info - www.pocketgps.co.uk.

Tom Tom uses Tele Atlas - i don't think there's any plug in and go units that use the better Navteq (I know Navigon do for their PDA based system).

The latest version of Tom Tom software has many more features than the earlier versions - different routing methods (quickest/shortest, etc), itinery planning, speed sensitive volume and loads of other stuff. And it now has FULL postcode entry facility.

Also, if you charge the Tom Tom at home, it's good for at least 2 hours without having to plug into power point in car - so no cables.

The newer models (700 and maybe 500?) also have built in bluetooth hands free phone function and livve traffic warnings/weather, etc.

Ian
Old 18 May 2005, 12:20 PM
Rewolf
Scooby Regular

Thanks to a deal through work where I get it tax free, I now have an Acer n35. This is a Pocket PC pda with built in GPS receiver and Destinator 3 in the package. Pre-tax it is £240 (take off the tax and it cost me £142) for a portable Sat Nav that also does MP3 player impressions and is obviously still a PDA.

It isn't perfect, and there is the odd mapping issue (usually where the layout of a junction is wrong) but for the money I am pretty happy with it. I got a new 1GB SD card to allow a decent amount of music to be loaded, and have loaded up the speed camera database which got a good test on a recent drive through Staffs. The Sat Nav and the Contacts in Outlook are shared, so you can find addresses by Contact name which is a nice feature, but for some reason my house number isn't on the database so Home is registered as a Favorite.

Fits in the car onto a sucker on the driver side windscreen with the power cable draped over the steering column and the only thing that has annoyed me about it so far is the "Warning Over the Speed Limit" message that is triggered at about 0.0001 mph over the limit. Fortunately you can switch this off.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:39 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Up_North
Tom Tom uses Tele Atlas - i don't think there's any plug in and go units that use the better Navteq (I know Navigon do for their PDA based system).
Garmin Quest uses Navteq mapping. Its also small and fits in your pocket.

Only downside (for me) is that you cannot get it to give warnings for speed camera locations.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:45 PM
2old4this
Scooby Regular

Talking

I am allso looking into buying a TTG 300 or the 500 that will hit the shops in june 3rd any good offers around anyone work for comet/pcworld/curry/dixons looking to buy 3 TTGs any discounts
Old 18 May 2005, 03:39 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all this. Still yet to be convinced about TomTom - it seems that there are many issues with it, and some of the forums have users who positively slate the package - but then if Navman uses the same mapping software, why would there by any difference. I think I'd go for the newer TomTom 700 as it is the newest and therefore hopefully the best, but again, there does not seem to be any right or wrong answer.
Old 22 May 2005, 08:51 AM
05WRX
Scooby Regular

TomTom and NAVMAN use the same maps (Teleatlas) but not the same mapping software (i.e. routing etc).

Both products are good in their own way. I used the new iCN650 NAVMAN over the last few days to navigate through the south of Britain (Saabscene Goodwood trackday) through France, Belgium and Holland. It was fantastic. It got a GPS fix in about 10 secs of switching it on and it's streetlevel maps were seamless allowing me to enter my home address (Delft, Holland) in Britain, selecting the tunnel as a way-point and it just worked! It never lost the signal through the whole route (except through the channel tunnel obviously.)

The package contains all western-europe maps on it's 2GB harddrive, it's available NOW and can be bought at Halfords right now in the UK for UKP 699. Which is 100 off retail. There are other places that are doing better deals.

The speaker is really clear and loud (like the TomTom, unlike the iCN510), the screen is a non-reflective, high contrast unit (unlike the iCN510), but it isn't a touch screen unit (unlike the TomTom and iCN510).. but to be honest that isn't a big issue since it has a remote control.

Downsides.. only one. It doesn't use an internal battery to keep the unit working after you've unplugged it from the car's electrical system. (This isn't an issue for me, but it may be for others).

I was so impressed with it, I bought one and returned the iCN510 to the store for a refund.

Happy bunny.