ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

ICE for P1

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2001, 01:27 PM
Dave25
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Am picking up my P1 tomorrow, and looking for advice on the ICE side. My MY00 is getting it's Nakamichi 45z head unit and changer taken out tonight, and due to various problems with it I'm going to get the dealer to change it for something else to fit to the P1.

My current preference is for the Alpine 7755 MD Head Unit, because I like MD and want a feature rich unit with good sound quality ( although not as good as the Nak from what people have said ) but I am intending to upgrade with Amps and other speakers so should make up the difference.

So, what would be good amps to go with the Alpine head unit ( or does anyone have any opinions on other units ). Completely new to Amps, looking to spend couple of hundred on one, but really open depending on quality. Also any thoughts on speakers gratefully received.

Thanks,

Dave.
Old 02 January 2001, 02:00 PM
Andrew O'Hara
Scooby Regular

Dave,

Have a look at Genesis amps and Infinity Kappa speakers.

Old 02 January 2001, 02:07 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

How long's a piece of string? Personally, I've had Kenwood, Alpine, Philips, Rockford Fosgate and Soundstream, in ascending order of preference.

I'd go for a four channel amp, as that'll give you flexibility and allow you to add a sub easily at a later date.

Something in the Caliber range is worth looking at as performance per £ is good - though I have no experience with them.

Speakerwise, this appears to be very much down to personal taste. I gritted my teeth and bought what sounded best to me (CD Technologies). It *really* helps to have a listen to a few cars and see what you like. The car is a harsh environment and you'll never get a sound as good as a decent home hi-fi set up, but you can get excellent results by tinkering. For an easy life and good sound a few people on the board have used Infinity and JBL sets to good effect.

Half of how good a system sounds is in the set-up: getting the gains right, fiddling with speaker locations...

Head unit wise, I run the Kenwood KMD970R and think that it's a wonderful In-dash minidisc - now replaced by the 971, and knowing kenwood the 972 will be available in March time.

Hope this is of some use.
Old 02 January 2001, 04:28 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The Alpine is a very very good choice
I've also got a calibre 4channel amp running front and rear speakers.
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the sound quality
Just make sure you let your retailer know exactly what YOU want from the system.
Old 03 January 2001, 12:07 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've got ALPINE is my P1..

I use one of their CD headunits and changers, then..

Amp it with a Alpine F407 V12 4x amp, with DDDrive 6.5" in the front and 6x9" in the back..

Sounds great! recommend it.

Cheers, Alex
Old 03 January 2001, 11:00 AM
Dave25
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks everyone for the advice. Only question is how I will cope *without* any radio or CD until I can get it fitted!

Dave.
Old 05 January 2001, 11:59 AM
wacko
Scooby Regular

Genesis amps - enough power to shake your whole car to pieces.
Old 09 January 2001, 08:41 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Dave

What trouble did you have with your Nakamichi? I too run the 45z - as yet no trouble except a temperamental RDS and occasinally it resets.

As far as speakers are concerned I can recommend focal, kappas are OK. Genesis is the gold standard. Try