Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Postioning tweeters.

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2005, 09:34 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Postioning tweeters.

Will installing a set of Infinity 655CS speakers shortly and I'm curious as to where is best to fit the tweeters?

I've assumed that the best place is the grille next to the door handle, although from the looks if it I'm not sure the tweeter is small enough (depth-wise) to fit.

I've also seen tweeters fitted on the black "triangle" on the door where the wing mirror is connected.

Which is best?

The tweeters I have are also directional so I can turn them in a bit to face into the car more.
Old 29 March 2005, 11:02 AM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

I always thought it was anywhere in the line of sight, so errr... anywhere where you can see 'em should be fine IMO.

I had some on another car on the door mirror bits and they sounded good to me.

Nige.
Old 29 March 2005, 10:04 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
Will installing a set of Infinity 655CS speakers shortly and I'm curious as to where is best to fit the tweeters?

I've assumed that the best place is the grille next to the door handle, although from the looks if it I'm not sure the tweeter is small enough (depth-wise) to fit.

I've also seen tweeters fitted on the black "triangle" on the door where the wing mirror is connected.

Which is best?

The tweeters I have are also directional so I can turn them in a bit to face into the car more.
i've put my tweeters behind the grill near the door handle and it sounds better than when they used to be in the corner of the dash pointing at me - there was too much sound seperation for my taste when they were positioned like that. I used numberplate sticking pads to fix the buggers to the door, 4 months and they are still stuck fast

James
Old 30 March 2005, 04:03 PM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

Top of the dash, pointing up towards the windscreen for me, but get some blue tack and long wires, connect them up, sit in the car and try various positions to where YOU think they sound best.

Adam.
Old 31 March 2005, 07:11 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Depends on the tweeter.

Some sound way better "off axis", as in not pointing towards you. Others sound horrendous.

I mounted mine on the triangles behind the door mirrors, pointed towards the centre of the car's roof, or firing towards the top of the opposite seat. That's the almost standard aiming that will work in most cases...

Some tweeters work nicely being bounced of windscreens, others can cause a very harsh noise due to reflection. As Adam says, try the blutak and flying leads way. For a few hours of messing around here and there, it can make a massive difference!
Old 06 April 2005, 01:34 AM
Pauleds2
Scooby Regular

Mine are here and sound great.
Old 06 April 2005, 09:34 AM
SwishOvBolton
Scooby Regular

id listen to Scoob+Bike=Fun (Adam) as he fitted all my alpine system + dvd and 2 tv`s and its his Job to fit Ice ,
Old 06 April 2005, 08:42 PM
daveg@bsng
Scooby Newbie

Lashed mine in behind the grill on the door handle. I found that if you put them on the door they point towards the steering wheel, so I used lashings of duck tape and I stuck mine to the actual door cards, behind the grill, pointng inwards..........

How did you others get them pointing in, when sticking them to the door?? Did you build a little bit of packing so they would point in the right direction??