ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

MY05 WRX speakers

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2005, 12:29 PM
edthedoc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY05 WRX speakers

Has anyone changed the speakers in a MY05 WRX? I read in an earlier thread that the doors are even thinner than MY04 doors. If they're the same depth then hopefully Infinity 6000 with the usual MDF collar should work but hopefully someone has done this already.
Old 14 January 2005, 11:51 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by edthedoc
Has anyone changed the speakers in a MY05 WRX? I read in an earlier thread that the doors are even thinner than MY04 doors. If they're the same depth then hopefully Infinity 6000 with the usual MDF collar should work but hopefully someone has done this already.
Something I need info on too.

Cheers
Paul
Old 15 January 2005, 12:45 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Get your philips screwdriver out and take a look. It only takes 5 minutes to get the door card off.
Old 16 January 2005, 02:12 AM
Crazycar
Scooby Newbie

I've just fitted Infinity CS6500 to my MY03 using 12mm MDF spacers and found that the windows were fitting them when lowered. I ended up spacing them off the door a further 5mm. If thats any use, can't comment on the MY05 though!
Old 16 January 2005, 11:08 AM
RIGPIG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryCat
Get your philips screwdriver out and take a look. It only takes 5 minutes to get the door card off.

And two hours to put it back on,until you know what your doing (but well worth it)
Old 22 January 2005, 10:38 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by edthedoc
Hi Ed

Went along to my local premier installer (Turners of Sunderland) and had a chat about this with them.. he took me to the Rainbow Audio stand and blew me away with a pair of Dreamline SLX 265 Delux component speakers (6in) http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products...=2&pro=1&lin=9. I was convinced he was trying to con me by running a sub at the same time and told him so! but I couldn't find one working anywhere... the bass coming off them was incredible! Anyway..... said yes... and 1.5 hours later my car was returned to me with the above fitted along with 2 rolls of Dynamat sound proofing.

The sound is Awsome... I'm actually now dubious as to whether I need a sub anymore! loads of deep punchy bass and no sign of the speakers bottoming out or distorting. I am running with a little more power than standard, Alpine Head Unit 4 x 60w

The next move is to have the 5" versions installed in the back doors and run them together with the fronts from a 4 x 100W seperate amp, then I'll make the decision as to whether or not to put a sub in (think it'll be a no no though!)

By the way... the cost.... £99 !!!!!!!! the total with fitting (including 2 rolls of Dynamat @ £25 each) £180.

I now have a sound system that betters any OEM system of any car I've been in (apart from the 300 watt hop up you can get in the Volvo S60... that is amazing)

So Infinity's aren't the only way to go... and I'm told by the installers who used to be an Infinity stockist that the Rainbows are far superior, however having never heard them I can only relay what I'm told... Turners showroom however is litterally littered with trophies from comps though so I have no reason to doubt thier views!

Paul
Old 22 January 2005, 11:31 PM
st3ph3n
Scooby Regular

Vipa, did they need to do any modifying of the door card and are the speakers mounted on a collar of some sort?

Also got an 05 and looking to change the speakers at some point and maybe put in some sound proofing too. Does the soundproofing work well on reducing the bass rattling that seems to happen at anything more than -8 Bass on the stock head + speakers?
Old 23 January 2005, 10:53 AM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by st3ph3n
Vipa, did they need to do any modifying of the door card and are the speakers mounted on a collar of some sort?

Also got an 05 and looking to change the speakers at some point and maybe put in some sound proofing too. Does the soundproofing work well on reducing the bass rattling that seems to happen at anything more than -8 Bass on the stock head + speakers?
No bass rattle any more, at any volume! I think they had to fit a collar but don't think they had to make any mods to the door card.

Was going to do it myself but for 30 quid there really was no point!

The speakers and soundproofing will improve the quality without doubt but i don't think the stock HU will have the power to run the new speakers efficiently so you will probably get some clipping and the bass may well sound sloppy!

The only problem I have now it that the dynamat seems to be interfering with the central locking mech. so every now and again the front doors won't unlock when I disable the alarm but that can be easily fixed with a quick visit back to the installer.

Paul
Old 23 January 2005, 05:33 PM
st3ph3n
Scooby Regular

The stock HU will get a swapping. Don't you worry about that.

It's what's going in to replace it that's the big question.

Think the idea is to mount a mini-itx based PC or a mac mini in the glove box or under the passenger seat, then put in a 7" flip out display in the top din and a regular HU in the bottom din. No one does a 7" flip out with a VGA touch screen yet though.

I'll probably replace the HU and speakers in the next few months and do the PC/Mac idea nearer the end of the year.
Old 27 January 2005, 06:09 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know of a Stockist for Rainbow products in the South of England?
Old 31 January 2005, 11:50 AM
dave-h
Scooby Regular

while on about speakers does anyone know if the new 05 model sti has tweeters fitted as standard or not.
Old 05 April 2005, 04:17 PM
clanhome
Scooby Regular

Smile Speaker advice excellent Vipa

Just had some Rainbow SL 265 deluxe front components and Rainbow SL 100 4" rear coaxials fitted with Dynamat extreme to my 05 WRX By ED Sturgess at Sextons in Southampton they gave a much clearer sound even with the standard head unit (on Max Bass and Volume) but really the standard unit does struggle to drive them ...so I have fitted a Panasonic CQ-C9800N head unit which gives big sound for the money (70 watts) I cant believe the difference.
Both sets of speakers installed were £289 including the spacers and dynamat the Head unit was £250 from Car audio Security including next day delivery(retail on this head unit is £499).
Thanks VIPA for the excellent speaker choice.
ps In answer to the question about tweeters in an 05 yes they heve them as standard but like the speakers they are a bit on the challenged side!!!
Old 12 April 2005, 11:08 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car Audio Direct stock Rainbow speakers now! Although they seem a bit more expensive than quoted above.

Rainbow SLX265 Deluxe @ Car Audio Direct