ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Sound deadening

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2004, 01:36 PM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound deadening

I have 2 10" subs fitted in the boot of my UK300 , and the bass causes some load vibrations from the boot itself. Has anyone come across this problem with theirs, and have now stopped it?
Old 03 December 2004, 04:21 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just fitted an amp and sub in mine and i am getting a bit of buzzing from boot trim , coated the floor in dynamat but the parcel shelf vibrates so need to remove it or pack it out with foam or something, i`m interested in any thoughts on this as well.
Old 03 December 2004, 05:08 PM
Schumacher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kjdmk1
Just fitted an amp and sub in mine and i am getting a bit of buzzing from boot trim , coated the floor in dynamat but the parcel shelf vibrates so need to remove it or pack it out with foam or something, i`m interested in any thoughts on this as well.
I'm also looking for a solution to the problem. As soon as the bass kicks in, the boot lid and spoiler rattle like mad, which block out all the bass.

At the moment my subs (2x12'' Pioneer spl's) are facing outwards, should I try and face them inwards? Would this make any difference?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

-Schumacher
Old 04 December 2004, 12:01 AM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

they all do it, apply dynamat everywhere that you can in the boot and pack as much as you can to stop the rattling, that's the usual trick, it wont cure it, but it will help, and also keep the bass in the car, the only downside is the weight of the stuff, might make your car a little slower, or alternatively leave it be and put up with it, i'm not doing it with mine because it's an RA, but will do when I've got 400BHP and can afford the extra weight!
Old 04 December 2004, 08:07 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Have been trying to stop the 'spoiler rattle' for three years with no success. I've used a double layer of brown bread on the underside of the boot lid, which makes the boot lid very heavy,it does help a little though.Ive also used the spray-on type for INSIDE the boot lid and the panels behind the trims, this has had little impact and is expensive and messy to use. The trim inside the boot also rattles like a mad man, got to do something with this eventually, when the decent weather returns. Also remove the tools from the spare wheel well as they too rattle like crazy.

I have a single RE SX12 sub, I had a Rockford 15" sub before and the boot did not rattle as bad as it does now. Ive had to retighten my solier a couple of times because of the vibration.

Lea
Old 05 December 2004, 05:09 PM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

Listening a bit closer I think mine is coming from the locking system for the boot. There seems to be a bar just inside the lid that vibrates.
Old 05 December 2004, 06:05 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevenuk300 still
Listening a bit closer I think mine is coming from the locking system for the boot. There seems to be a bar just inside the lid that vibrates.
I cracked that one mate with a cheap sponge from wilko's, trap it between the bar and the boot lid, not to tight so as not to stop the catch working. Stops that annoying one!!!!
Old 06 December 2004, 02:02 PM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

Excellent tip. Cheers mate, I'll give that a go.
Old 08 December 2004, 04:05 PM
stevethesoundman
Scooby Newbie

Talking sound deadening

When looking at noise reduction you should always remember that different materials may be needed.
Dynamat or Noisekiller Barrier Mat are used to reduce metal vibrations in the boot area and will not absorb the airborne sounds. They are great at reducing the vibrations from the spare wheel well and side wings along with the rear wheel arches. Barrier mat does not need any heat and is very mouldable.
To absorb airborne sounds and further reduce vibrations Noisekiller also produce an acoustic mat that can be placed above the spare wheel and under the boot carpet, this is a sandwich construction using a rigid damping sheet and an absorbing acoustic foam.

Hope this helps

www.noisekiller.co.uk

Steve
Old 09 December 2004, 01:11 PM
GabsterWRX
Scooby Regular

Had the same problems with vibration from bass in my MY95 Wagon (noise source = a pair of Cerwin Vega 12" subs).

Used to have a Golf which I did sound offs in about 5 years back and the best product i found then was Accumat, but even this doesn't eliminate all vibration. I took drastic action for the shows and run expanding foam around the seams in the rear arches and filled the tail gate with the stuff. Worked a treat, not a single vibratation after that, although the down side it's there for ever (or at least the way I did it was). Should have pushed strong binliners into the various spaces and filled those so it didn't bond to the body work... ...oh well, got 148dB out of them.

There was no way I was doing that for the Scoob, and don't really rate Dynamat, so made enquiries and found Noise Killer (someone else on here had posted about them). Fitted this kit last weekend and was very impressed. Has reduced a lot of the vibrations, and road / exhaust noise. Easy to fit too with pre-cut pieces.

Neil
Old 10 December 2004, 09:33 AM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

Like Steve says get the acoustic mat, it helps alot as it absorbs the vibes...I got mine with a kit from Steve a while back and cant recommend his products highly enough and at a damn fine price too. Excellent customer service and prompt delivery.

Cheers
Daz.