cd changers - compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2004, 04:37 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default cd changers - compatibility

Hi all
My my97 scooby has a subaru head unit and no cd changer in the boot, although there once was one as the cable which is still there demonstrates.
I have a kenwood head unit and 6 disc changer. I know the cable in the car won't mate up to my kenwood unit. But can I buy a converter to allow it to be used. Or should I just ditch the subaru unit and put the kenwood headunit and changer in?
Thanks
Nick
Old 11 December 2004, 05:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Remove Scoob unit, fit kenwood.

Alternatively, contact Philips who, IIRC, made the OE Scoob units, for a keen price on a changer for that unit. (they WERE about £50 LESS than Scoob dealers!)

Personally, I'd go for option one

Alcazar
Old 11 December 2004, 06:01 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Remove Scoob unit, fit kenwood.

Alternatively, contact Philips who, IIRC, made the OE Scoob units, for a keen price on a changer for that unit. (they WERE about £50 LESS than Scoob dealers!)

Personally, I'd go for option one

Alcazar
Ta
Do you know if it's difficult to remove and replace the cable from headunit to changer?
Cheers
Old 11 December 2004, 09:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Nah, mate, piece of p*ss, Scoobs are quite easy to get the trims on and off.

I've two changers in my boot, CD and Minidisc, fitted Minidisc myself, with selector unit in centre console behind gearlever, totally hidden.

The leads to the changers run under the inner trims along the bottoms of the doors/sides of floorpan, loads of space.

Alcazar
Old 11 December 2004, 09:25 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removing and replacing the cable shouldn't be too hard - I've just taken mine out as I've switched HU and the new one reads MP3's, so no changer required.

Mine ran under the passenger side front seat, then into the boot via the base of the backseat. There are other routes you can use, down the centre via the transmission tunnel, for example.

You'll almost certainly have to take the rear seat out, which is pretty easy, then pop some of the carpet fixings to give you some wiggle room. To save time lash one end of the old cable to the new one with some electrical tape - as you withdraw the old cable it'll pull the new one into position.
Old 11 December 2004, 09:39 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mike P
Removing and replacing the cable shouldn't be too hard - I've just taken mine out as I've switched HU and the new one reads MP3's, so no changer required.

Mine ran under the passenger side front seat, then into the boot via the base of the backseat. There are other routes you can use, down the centre via the transmission tunnel, for example.

You'll almost certainly have to take the rear seat out, which is pretty easy, then pop some of the carpet fixings to give you some wiggle room. To save time lash one end of the old cable to the new one with some electrical tape - as you withdraw the old cable it'll pull the new one into position.
Cheers chaps, hopefully they'll be a few hrs 2morrow in which to do it.