ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Front speaker wiring

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2004, 10:49 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front speaker wiring

I've decided to amp up the front speakers as well as the rears and can't decide which way to go about it.

Do I,

A - Connect the from the amp to the original front wiring near the harness?

or,

B - Disconnect the original fronts at the harness and run new speaker wire all the way through the doors to the speakers?

Obviously, option A seems the easiest and tidiest - What is the best way?
Old 13 April 2004, 11:25 PM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Taff107
I've decided to amp up the front speakers as well as the rears and can't decide which way to go about it.

Do I,

or,

B - Disconnect the original fronts at the harness and run new speaker wire all the way through the doors to the speakers?

The original subaru wiring loom is not going to be up to much in hifi terms - there's a fair chance it's not even copper. I haven't yet tried myself so don't know exactly how much work is involved but it would certainly be best to run new speaker cables direct from your amp given the time.

Whether the original front speakers would be worth the extra effort I'm not sure.

On a related note I'd be interested to know what speaker cable people recommend that will fit through the existing front door gromets and whatever particularly if bi-wiring? Most of the stuff I've seen in Halfords and the like seems to sell on the bigger is better approach.
Old 13 April 2004, 11:29 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

I've already put in some Infinity components up front and hadn't even thought about the thickness of the wire to connect them, to be honest. You can guarantee that it'll be a hell of a job to squeeze some decent cable to them through the grommets.........
What does put me off is the fact that by adding new cable, I'm increasing the chance of getting interference, which is one of the reasons that I'm 'adjusting' the system (and I tried everything ensuring good earth; good RCA's; RCA's away from power etc)

Last edited by Taff107; 13 April 2004 at 11:33 PM.
Old 14 April 2004, 10:38 AM
Ale555
Scooby Regular

I´ve put new cables in my scoob for the third time (better and better...).
Its not such a big prob to do a new wireing (?).
If you need pics, ask...
Old 14 April 2004, 10:45 AM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

use route B. if you send too much power through the beel wire that is OEM wiring, you will just get a **** load of resistance as the speakers draw the power. you could end up burning the wire... and the last thing you want is a fire in your car!

sending better wiring through the doors is the only way to go if your amping them. you shouldnt get anymore noise or interferance, as they are able to handle what you throw through them, and some of the better stuff, is also shielded. i'm using QED Original in my P1. @ £2ish per metre, it may seem expensive, but then my speakers will take upto 400w RMS at 3Ohms!

hope this helps
Old 14 April 2004, 10:53 AM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

eric, bigger is not always better matey. you can use a much thinner silver wire and gett a better sound then a massive copper wire...

the thing to look at is the area of conducting material (some wires have really think casings to shield the wires, but they may not have a lot of strands in the wire itself) and wehter its wound or not (if they are are sprialled together under the casing, this is usually allows for more strands to be packed into a smaller area, and as a result, allow for more resistance etc to get thourhg without throwing tantrums and distorting the sound).

hope this helps...
Old 14 April 2004, 12:46 PM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jag_h
eric, bigger is not always better matey. you can use a much thinner silver wire and gett a better sound then a massive copper wire...

the thing to look at is the area of conducting material (some wires have really think casings to shield the wires, but they may not have a lot of strands in the wire itself) and wehter its wound or not (if they are are sprialled together under the casing, this is usually allows for more strands to be packed into a smaller area, and as a result, allow for more resistance etc to get thourhg without throwing tantrums and distorting the sound).

hope this helps...
Absolutely - that's what I was getting at. I'm tempted to get some of the teflon / silver plated copper stuff HU1 from

http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/ipl_cables.htm
Old 14 April 2004, 01:02 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Taff107

Do I,

or,

Option B: If the amp is in the boot, then you've got a job on to route the cables anyway. Seems a shame to compromise by reusing the original speaker cables.

Vindaloo.
Old 14 April 2004, 02:08 PM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

eric in my other car, i use QED silver aniversary SEE HERE @circa £5 p/m its damn expensive but my god does it make everything sound good! and its not too think either, still easy to route through the car...
Old 14 April 2004, 06:57 PM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

eric in my other car, i use QED silver aniversary SEE HERE @circa £5 p/m its damn expensive but my god does it make everything sound good! and its not too think either, still easy to route through the car...
Yes - I know the stuff. Good idea and it is nice and tough. Might pop into Richer sounds later in the week. Can you remember how much you used? I'd want enough so that I could get to underneath the passenger seat and the head unit so that if I get an amp later I can use the same cable.
Old 15 April 2004, 01:24 PM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

Got some Audio Innovations 'Ultra Micro' from Richer Sounds at lunchtime. Silver plated copper like the QED, slightly thinner and I think with a less highly specced sheath. £2.50 a metre and may be thin enough to biwire if that doesn't look too much hassle. Doubt it would make a huge difference though and I'm unlikely to bi-amp the fronts.
Old 30 April 2004, 10:58 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I may have been too hasty in recommending a stressful course of action...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...t=speaker+wire

Sounds like the factory grommet/wiring is a real pig to work with. OTOH I'm hoping to run 14 gauge into the doors this w/e. Wish me luck.

In the meantime... HELP CHIARK! Is it possible to undo the cable tidys on the door and/or body that strap the body/door conduit to both IYSWIM?

J.
Old 01 May 2004, 04:06 AM
rockinRu
Scooby Regular

use route B. if you send too much power through the beel wire that is OEM wiring, you will just get a **** load of resistance as the speakers draw the power. you could end up burning the wire... and the last thing you want is a fire in your car!

sending better wiring through the doors is the only way to go if your amping them. you shouldnt get anymore noise or interferance, as they are able to handle what you throw through them, and some of the better stuff, is also shielded. i'm using QED Original in my P1. @ £2ish per metre, it may seem expensive, but then my speakers will take upto 400w RMS at 3Ohms!

hope this helps
A fire caused from speaker wires...?

My god man...get a grip.It ain't possible with store-bought garb.