ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2004, 03:22 PM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi
Does anyone know what the OEM tweeter kit uses, and could suggest an equivalent alternative?

Cheers
Nick
Old 15 January 2004, 03:26 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God only knows, but you need a set of add on tweeters that have built in crossovers - normally achieved by using a small capacitor on the cheapo way of doing it.

You'd really be better changing front components mate - prices start at around 50 quid?

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 15 January 2004, 03:33 PM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Cheers Nick.

The reason for asking is that I gather that the car (Forester!) already has the tweaters all wired up, just waiting for the speakers.

Do you think this means that the capcitor thing is already done?

I've been trying (with little success) to find out what speakers will fit in the Forester, from some US sites it would seem that Infinity 605cs's would fit - but I'm not sure that its the same for Euro/UK models, and I'm not sure whether they re-used the tweeter wiring already in place.

I put 605's in my second Impreza (using your instructions - nice one ) and found them to be a bit "trebley" (bright?). I got round this in the Impreza by putting a sub in, but realistically that's not going to be an option on the Forester, as one of the key reasons for changing after 3 Imprezas was for the increased practicality (i.e. to have a car that I would le the wife and daughter in, and which we could use the boot :> )

If you've any suggestions, or anyone I could speak to/email who might know I'd appreciate it.

Cheers
Nick
Old 15 January 2004, 06:09 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Ah, I see. I would imagine that they'll be largely the same as the impreza. Whack a door card off and have a look? Now at least you know how subaru do things...

The tweeters will require the cap to be on the tweeter itself, as there's no electronics in the wiring normally.

If you found the infinities too bright - and it's a common observation - then try a different brand... Believe it or not, the kenwood component set that I used to run was not bad, certainly for the money, and wasn't bright.

Where in the country are you?
Cheers,
Nick.
Old 16 January 2004, 08:51 AM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Thanks Nick.

I'll take the door card off to have a look at the size - if it ever stops raining

I'm up in Preston.

Nick
Old 16 January 2004, 09:08 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Well, if you're ever across the other side of the Pennines, give me a shout