Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

how about 6x9s

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2004, 10:35 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 02 imprezza with vibe 12ich sub / amp and infinity kappa in the front which are amped buy a PG amp but the sound is still really lacking seems to be no depth in sound I have a set of infinity 6 X 9s in loft would these make a difference and how ould i fit them i.e in the door or get some speaker wire and put them in the rear shelf
Old 03 January 2004, 10:45 AM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

Rich

As far as I'm aware they won't fit in the doors without a bit of effort (i.e. some cutting might be required) and the end result won't be brilliant.

Best off going for the parcel shelf option. Depending on the depth of the magnet you could mount from below for a stealth install or fabricate a MDF parcel shelf and mount from above.

cheers

Steve
Old 03 January 2004, 10:51 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

do you know of any one who has done this so i can get some instructions - will the speaker cables be easy to get out of the door to extend

[Edited by WRX_Rich - 1/3/2004 10:51:53 AM]
Old 03 January 2004, 12:02 PM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

Yep, H8NS K did this not so long ago. I'd forget about the wires from the rear doors and run fresh speaker cable from the amp.

If you must use the existing wiring from the doors then I'd take the cover off the door pillar to see where the wires for the rear doors come from. Still think that your 6x9's will need to be driven than fed from the headunit, though.

cheers

Steve
Old 03 January 2004, 06:00 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

cheesr only problem is its only a 2 channel amp, I thought it might be a bit ott with 6x9s (amped) and a sub any way

it really does sound crap, I had a mini cooper s and that sounded so much better a really full sound, This sounds like ts missing a huge range of sound

This is the first one I had done at a audio shop - first thing I noticed was how thin the power cable was from amp to battry and this is feeding 2 amps I ve already had to re fit the speakers with dyno mat and rehouse them as they ratteled so much... I will never let so called experts near my car again

[Edited by WRX_Rich - 1/3/2004 6:43:28 PM]
Old 03 January 2004, 07:07 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Smile

I had some good tunes in my Cooper Sport, which was mainly helped by the 6" speakers on the rear shelf - the sound bounces well off the rear window ( it was also backed up by an 8" sub which just about fitted onto the rear shelf aswell )

For this reason, you can normally hear rear shelf speakers better than rear door speakers from the front of most cars. I agree with the point about running decent cabling from an amp though. Head units are rarely powerful enough to run 6x9s properly, especially if the max power rating of the speakers is over 200 watts.

I have also read on other threads that subs get drowned out in a 4dr Impreza's boot unless they're really well powered and/or you have no speakers in the rear shelf so that the sound can come through the speaker holes. This is more reason to get a second amp or replace your existing one if you need to power 6x9s enough to compensate for any loss of sound from your sub(s).

I'm not claiming to be an expert - I'm just repeating what I've been reading here over the last few weeks as I'm also in the process of improving my Impreza's sounds. Hope it helps

[Edited by DJNafey - 1/3/2004 7:09:35 PM]
Old 03 January 2004, 10:08 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

so what is involved in putting 6x9's in the parcel shelf, can I just cut the holes in the shelf and fit the speaker, I have always bought "steath shelves" or fit them in the doors
Old 04 January 2004, 12:08 AM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Smile

In my MY96 WRX (and all 4dr Imprezas I assume, though I'm not sure if the new ones are different), there is an adaptor plate that converts a 6x9" hole into a smaller round hole that the OEM speakers are fitted in. I'm not sure how easily the adaptor plate comes out but I would be surprised if it needed any cutting - probably just a tap with a mallet.

You can then fit the speakers in the top of the existing shelf, make a new shelf that tries to hide the speakers under acoustic carpet or the most 'invisible' option is to fit the speakers from underneath and leave the standard round speaker grilles on the top so that it looks standard but only certain types of speakers are suitable for this. Still, if you already have the set that you want to use, it should be easy enough for you to try it.

[Edited by DJNafey - 1/4/2004 12:11:13 AM]
Old 04 January 2004, 01:04 AM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

Herein lies the problem. MY01+ have no rear speakers OE or otherwise. The metal supporting shelf as viewed from the boot has 6x9 ish shaped cutouts but the parcel shelf itself sitting above this is too flimsy to support any substantial speaker.

So as far as I can see it, (amplifer aside now) you either remove existing parcel shelf and replace with new MDF one with 6x9s recessed in these, or mount the 6x9's from underneath the metal parcel shelf and bolt directly to the metal.
Old 04 January 2004, 10:57 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

using the other post about at the momment I see how it would be done - will build som mdf spacers this week to put them in next weekend

cheers guys