Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

system for my P1

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2003, 01:53 AM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was looking to maybe buy a full system for my P1. Any body got anything to offer ? something with screen would be good but not essential. Must have some bass though................
Old 09 September 2003, 08:41 AM
gene1
Scooby Regular

yhm
Old 09 September 2003, 09:31 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

For bass in a P1, I would seriously consider fitting a small (8 or 10) sub in the side panels next to the rear seat. You'll avoid the challenge of getting bass into the cabin through the solid bulkhead, but it will be a slightly more tricky install...
Old 09 September 2003, 09:56 AM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've got 2x12" subs in the boot of my P1. For what it's worth I have to have them loud to get the bass through the rear seats. If you've stripped your car out you'll find you have a rear seat, a heavy rubber mat and a piece of plastic behind the seat. Quite a lot of sound proofing!

Because of the level I have to run the subs at the boot rattles like a pig. What I was thinking of doing was removing the rear speakers and using the holes as speaker ports. Chiark's idea of using the rears sides is a good one but it's probably best to buy 2nd hand rear side panels to cut holes in, not your own.

Lastly when you run the power and the phono wires for the amp to the boot, don't forget to put them down separate sides of the car.

(on the P1 there is a nifty little place you can get your power lead from the battery through to the cabin, if you want I'll take a pic of it. It makes the install look professional and like it should be there)
Old 09 September 2003, 01:16 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Mickle, that should be a fairly standard grommet if it's the one with the aircon in it?

A pic would be useful either way, and I'll put it in the FAQ...
Old 09 September 2003, 01:22 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Chiark - It has got air-con, I didn't use the air-con grommet though because it looked a bit close to the pipes. I used a hole up the top on the passenger side. It's where 3 metal pipes go through, there is a forth hole sealed up, I snipped the end off and the 8 guage wire fitted through like a glove. Will get a pic...
Old 09 September 2003, 03:41 PM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

thanks a lot for your help and advice, all pics would be most welcome. I have built systems in all my other cars and have a good understanding of the wiring and builds. As you say though, that rear seat is well sound proofed, gonna be a pain in the ***.
Old 09 September 2003, 03:53 PM
jimbob2
Scooby Regular

I might be tempted to sell my complete system - all Alpine - big amp, expensive head unit, 6x9s in the rear shelf, components in the front doors, 6 cd AINET changer - open to offers around £500
Old 09 September 2003, 04:47 PM
white scooby
Scooby Senior

Got two diamond m6 10's going spare and a genesis minblock amp if thats any good to you - also got a genesis stereo 100 amp useful for powering some nice front components. . . mail me if your interested.

Simon
Old 14 September 2003, 02:42 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

nick I completely disagree.

the enclosure volume is not impressive and tend to be made out of fibreglass which unless is one inch thick, is not rigid enough.

boxes are not just about volume either, there is shale to consider.
I would be far happier removing the rear speaker which ports the sub far more effectively, and allows you a better choice of sub.
Old 14 September 2003, 03:12 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Fair enough Adam - I just know that trying to get bass into a saloon is not easy, but I'm spoiled by having a wagon now

I have mounted 8" drivers in the panels next to a rear seat (admittedly of a fiesta) and had great results. A guy I know has put 2 JL 10W6s in the panels next to the rear seat of a 200sx with good effect...

Shale, or even shape , is admittedly important but mostly IMHO to avoid standing waves.

You don't have to make the enclosure out of fibreglass - mine is a hybrid of 18mm mdf + fibreglass reinforced with mdf. Loads of opportunities

I'd rather have bass in the cabin if at all possible, that's all
Old 15 September 2003, 10:57 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

if we are correcting typing mistakes, I would like to know who has been steling moss, I mean whats the point when moss can be grown for free? (know it should be steal but you didnt add an "a" so I improvised.

You can add speakers to good effect but the quality is never going to rival a decent box, and the room you have available isnt easy to work with.

It would also mean hacking about P1 rear quarter panels which is not advisable in terms of being easy to replace them.
Old 15 September 2003, 11:28 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Very true.

At the end of the day, you pays yer money and takes yer choice. Good point about the panels: I never hack something about until I know that I can get a replacement easily, and I prefer to have the replacement *before* I do the hacking. An insurance policy, if you will...