Cheers Chiark

Great FAQ Mate, just the ticket

[Edited by BigRed - 9/5/2003 8:20:27 PM]
Old 04 September 2003, 06:54 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

OK as you lot probably know i have a rockford RFD 2215 in a 2.5 CuFt box in the boot of my scoob, just a quick question really.

When the sub is running and i drop the rear seats down in my scoob, the bass is MUCH better than that with the seats up, have any of you chaps had this problem. Is it worth removing the rear speakers as they are redundent anyway or is there a way of porting the sub from the boot into the cabin.

Thanks for any advice.

Lea
Old 04 September 2003, 09:48 PM
zero77
Scooby Regular

Lea,

I think you will have probs with getting good bass in the car with one sub, I had three subs once (all 10" diamond) and I was still not getting as much bass in as I was with my golf running a single 10" MTX. I hear that free air subs work well, mounted under the parcel shelf, but they don't go as low as subs designed for boxes.
Old 05 September 2003, 08:22 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

As Zero says, there's a bit of a problem getting sub bass into the car. Try removing the rear speakers and having just holes in the rear shelf as that works for some people.

...or leave the seats down
Old 05 September 2003, 04:30 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Removing the rear speakers will improve the sound quality

I have two Diamond M512's running off a Genesis Monoblock........... with a fair bit of power but the Subs still dont sound great...then again I want to be able to hear when I'm over 50!!!

I have had the subs in with and without the rear speakers - rear speakers add didly squatt and the sound is poorer from the Subs

btw I have them facing the boot - front facing through the seats would be nice - but I have all my amps connected to a board which sits where the rear seats rest and I didnt want to rewire and alter two Genesis amps!!!
Old 05 September 2003, 07:40 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Some nice idea's here, i'm going to remove the rear speakers and see if it makes any difference , how do you get the rear seat surround out, i hear that theres bolts to be undone, but were?Do you have to unclip the plastic trim on the rear quarters?

Actually managed to get some power out of my Viper amp today, and it can kick some serious ***,it to rattles the car like crazy,bit wooried about the windscreen visibly shaking i've still got to re-earth the system, got the cable today 0 guage stinger cable, looks like the weather is goinging to be crap over the weekend so the job will have to wait a little longer

Thanks for the replies

Lea

PS I had a single 15" MTX sub in a 3.5 CuFt box in a rover 214, this sounded brilliant, good DEEP bass with no rattle problems, shame the car was'nt more reliable though

[Edited by BigRed - 9/5/2003 7:48:45 PM]
Old 05 September 2003, 08:16 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Have a look at the FAQ - I think I put instructions in there - http://www.chiark.com/scooby/icetoc.asp

Good luck !
Old 13 September 2003, 08:26 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi all
Removed the rear speakers today and it has made a hell of a difference, the OEM speaker had actually been torn by the sound pressure from the sub.No wonder there was so much rattling going on.

Also re-wired my system today and checked ALL the connections. Put a new earth in using the 0 guage cable and found a good earth point, used a cordless Dremell tool with a grinding and wire brush attatchment to get a good clean surface and everything seems fine now, i can finally get some REAL power out of the Viper amp, boy does it kick hard now

So i think i've finally cracked it, I hope, I'll find out Monday when i have a good chance of cranking it up on the way to work and back.
Old 14 September 2003, 12:56 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Brilliant, thanks for the feedback - have to FAQ that