ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Install advice for P1.....

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2000, 12:14 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andy

If you are serious about a 5 channel amp I can recommend the new Kicker Impulse IX405D. This has the normal 4 amplifier plus an additional sub amp but all in the same casing. Obviously, the head unit needs to have 3 pre-outs (front, rear, sub). See:
Old 09 June 2000, 08:18 AM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi All,

As I've now ordered my P1, I need to get some advice on my ICE install.

First question is, are the speakers supplied with the car any good. The press release and the dealer makes out that they are uprated items over the standard car. Is this true?
Are they worth replacing?

Secondly, I am going to be installing an Empeg MP3 head unit (http://www.empeg.com), which will require 4-channel amplification. Can anyone recommend me a good 4-channel or maybe 5-channel amp?

Thirdly, where would you suggest siting the amp. Is there room under the passenger seat?

Finally, as the P1 rear seats won't fold down, the sub box from my current Impreza is for sale (it can only be inserted through the rear seats). It has 2 x 12" woofers, with a Kenwood KAC-823 amplifier bolted on the back. It does take up quite a lot of room, but sounds good to. It was custom designed for the space, using the Bassbox 5 software. If anyone is interested, just leave a message here, and I'll drop you a mail.

Thanks,

Andy.

Old 09 June 2000, 11:05 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Whether or not the amp will fit under the seat depends on the amp you buy. Heavier amps tend to be better as it suggests they have larger power supplies etc. This is not ny any means a golden rule.

I have never come across a standard car at ANY price point that has decent speakers. I would recommend changing these, but only the front ones. I would ditch the rear ones altogether and and use the gap to port a new subwwofer box through the shelf, making a huge difference to the bass.

Amps under seats are not generally a good idea due to neatness, access to thieves and air flow. I would recommend a foutr channel phoenix gold amp or possibly a soundstream, again, look at importing from america. Orion are also excellent but there are individual makes which are fantastic that few people will know about such as audio art.

I say this to everyone who needs advice but that is because I believe in the recommendation. Call Audio Images in Bradford and ask to speak to Khalid, 01274 733 633. No matter where you are the country it will be worth the trip. Khalid can make anything look standard, and put any component anywhere, speneding on how much you want to spend.

Anyone taking the advice would do well to mention my name saying that you know me through the subaru community. They tend to get a lot of time wasters, and mentioning me will let them know you are serious.

Hope this helps.
Old 09 June 2000, 09:21 PM
Neil Scott
Scooby Regular

Andy,

The P1 speakers are just fractionally less crap than the standard UK Turbo speakers so I'd change them if I were you (I think they are Addzest units). Also, the rear seat can be easily removed from the P1. Behind it is the same hole that you'd have if you folded down the standard folding seats except there is some sound insulation and a 1" (approx) square bar which is fitted across presumably for stiffness. This can also be removed. Maybe I'm on the wrong track here but why does the box need to be fitted from inside the car?

Neil.
Old 09 June 2000, 09:39 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Ive had fitted a Pheonix Gold 4 channel amp on the back of the rear seats of my P1. I didnt want to lose any boot space so Ive had 2 x 8" JL Audio subs fitted in the rear parcel shelf and JL VR600's in the front doors.

I'm more than happy. Lots of bass and lots of boot space.

Jonathan
JOnathan
Old 10 June 2000, 12:27 PM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

Hi Neil,

To answer your question concerning fitting the bassbox from inside the car.

When I fed the Thiele-Small parameters of the subs into my enclosure design program, it told me that the volume required was going to be rather large.

Rather than compromise on the frequency response of the box, I chose to make it the correct size (as far as the program was concerned). This meant that the box was too big to fit into the boot through the rear opening, but it did fit when passed through the rear seat opening.

A happy side effect of this was that the box was remarkably difficult to remove, a fact that was obviously noticed by the tea leaves who removed the rest of the stereo equipment once balmy evening last summer.

Although the box does take up most of the space in the boot, the frequency response does go so low that you can no longer hear the bass, just feel it.....

I have to admit that I probably won't install this to the new car, even if I could get it to fit. My days of 'Max Power' stereos have now passed me by. As long as I can get reasonable bass from whatever I finally install, then I'll be happy.

One idea I'm currently entertaining is to use the sub box with my home cinema setup. I can just imagine The Matrix being pumped out in DD glory with two 12" subs. I'm not sure the neighbours would approve though

As far as my final choice of kit is concerned, then I'm thinking along the same lines as Jonathan. I reckon bolting a 4-channel amp to the back of the seat, and then having some subs in the shelf, and new fronts is probably the way to go. Simple, but effective.

Cheers,

Andy.