ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Rear Shelf Replacement MY02

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2003, 10:24 AM
DavaP
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone have a good reference for removal of the rear shelf to build an MDF replacement? I can see that I have openings in the metalwork below the shelf for the speakers.

I am most concerned about the removal and refit of the centre seat belt as this is the one I need to use for my kiddy seat.

I seem to remember an airated black box with some sort of induction coil in it below one of the speaker holes too. Am I ok to just relocate this? What is it?
Old 16 April 2003, 10:43 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

You need to:

- remove the rear seat base
- remove the rear seat back
- remove trim from rear side of doors
- remove trim by side of rear windows
- remove parcel shelf

Bit of a ball ache really. Also, IIRC, the amplifier for the aerial is under the driver's side blanking plate for the speakers so you may need to relocate that if you're planning on fitting speakers there.

Regarding the centre seat belt, I have to admit ignorance but rear seat belts are very straightforward as there's no pretensioners or anything else to worry about. There's normally a big bolt, just make sure that you don't cross thread it when you put it back in.
Old 16 April 2003, 10:59 AM
DavaP
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply.

I found the Aerial amp on the passenger side previously when a cable started rattling so that shouldn't be a problem.

I presume I have to remove the belt at the bottom so that it can fit through the original shelf before I can remove it.

I have a nice long weekend to experiment.
Old 16 April 2003, 12:47 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I thought that thing under the speaker blanking plate was the aerial amp! Oh well, wonder what that is then...

Take a couple of pics during the work if you can, as it might help people in the future . Mine's a wagon, so I'm not absolutely sure on the MY01+ saloon. (My old saloon was an MY00)

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 18 April 2003, 11:23 AM
Jas W
Scooby Regular

do you know how to get the top half of the seats out on a my99
Old 18 April 2003, 04:32 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Yep.

Take the base of the seat off. (2 bolts)

Take 3 bolts off at the bottom of the back. Note - there's definitely 3, one's in the middle.

Remove by lifting off the hooks at the top of the seat.

When refitting, make sure you get the seat on the hooks before refitting the bolts.
Old 21 April 2003, 05:15 PM
MR_MAJ
Scooby Regular

I want to do the same project on the same car!

Which size speakers are you thinkin about fitting in? 6x9's?? I didnt think there'd be so much work involved, it looks quite easy as the holes are already there and the only thing opposing is the carpet which covers the holes.

Let me know how u get on and if you have any tips!
Old 21 April 2003, 07:35 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Some 6x9s fit, others don't. Just be warned, that's all

If they don't fit from the top, don't butcher the metal - fit 'em from underneath. Quite a few people have done this with good results...

Old 23 April 2003, 10:30 AM
DavaP
Scooby Newbie

I didn't get round to doing it this weekend, I bought the MDF but got carried away with other projects. I was not going to go for 6x9s, rather some sort of 8" or so component system. My plan is to make the shelf first and then see what dimensions will fit into the precut metal holes. This will depend on the height of the shelf etc.

I WILL do it and I WILL post pictures.
Old 23 April 2003, 11:08 AM
MR_MAJ
Scooby Regular

What thickness MDF have you gone for? Did you decide where you will move the 'black box' which is under the right port, maybe relocated it to the absolute right handside corner..
Old 23 April 2003, 11:24 AM
DavaP
Scooby Newbie

I went for 3/4" or 18mm.

I really would like to know what the box is before moving it. Last thing I want is all the airbags going off!! Chiark thinks it is somehting to do with the aerial amp but I found the powered aerial amp under the plastic cover over the rear left window support. It may still be to do with this though. I will let you know if I find out.
Old 23 April 2003, 02:14 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Have a quick prod with a multimeter and see if there's any continuity between wires and the aerial on the back screen?

Max @ Maximum impact thinks it's the aerial thingy - that's why I thought it was that. But I don't know where it is in my 5 door, so I can't have a look to check
Old 23 April 2003, 02:16 PM
MR_MAJ
Scooby Regular

Im gonna measure the boot up today and take note of all the dimensions. What measurements did you get for the shelf, and will you round the edges off or keep them 90 degrees?

Also as ive got all my systems from my old car sitting in my room doing nothing, I want to integrate it into the boot, im looking to build it using MDF and then carpeting over the wood to get a nice flush finish. It includes a 15" JL sub, and 2 amps.

Not quite sure how il get the corners done? i know the square pieces will be easy to cut.

Im sure that box is something to do with the aerial, if i find out what it is il let u know.
Old 23 April 2003, 02:26 PM
DavaP
Scooby Newbie

I got a piece cut at 1400 x 400 which is a little over size. I will place the old shelf on top and trace the original lines for starters. A jigsaw will make it the same profile as the original and then I can modify accordingly for the best fit/height. Only when I assess the height of the shelf above the openings in the metalwork will I decide on the drivers and cut the holes.

Obviously my new shelf will just be cut in 2 dimensions but the OEM one has variable heights. It will depend on the mountings as to how it will have to be cut or packed out below.
Old 15 May 2003, 07:17 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Just thought I'd dredge this thread up as I remembered reading it. I am convinced that the little black box is related to the aerial as it is made by clarion, and has two leads going straight to the rear screen aerial from it. I relocated mine into the box section just behind the baack seats at the front of the parcel shelf, by taking off the large metal bracket. It hasn't hurt the radio reception, and no other gremlins have surfaced.

Well worth the effort of mounting some 6.5" components (infinity 605cs) into the back shelf. With fairly moderate amplification (Phoenix Gold QX150.4), sounds great.