ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

2 fuses?

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2000, 07:57 PM
db
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

With the installation kit I have with the amp there are two fuses, one 15amp fuse to be connected no further than 15" away from the battery connection and another, very nice looking glass encased 50amp fuse, where does this go? It's obviously designed to be 'on show', but where in the wiring should it be placed, before the amp on the power supply (two fuses on the same live feed)????

This is the only thing I can't work out, so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave
Old 19 April 2000, 10:09 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

A 15 amp fuse seems too low to be fitted near the battery!! I think this may be wrong, but I'm sure that either Adam, Lee or anyone else for that matter can correct me!

I have one fuse in the live feed from the battery to the boot. The fuse sits a foot away from the battery, and if I'm not mistaken it's a 60 amp fuse!!! Fair enough I run two 4 channel amps, all being fed by this one live wire via a 1.5 farad capacitor.

I think the amps I run take two 20amp fuses each, thats why I think it will be unsafe to fit the 15 amp fuse to the live feed!!

The fuse is there to protect the car, and not the stereo!! That's why it has to be close to the battery. As well as that, all the otehr stereo equipment will have their own fuses as well!

If I were you, I would double check, the 15 amp fuse maybe for the 'blue' wire from the stereo to switch the amps on, but I'm not sure!

Good Luck Dave!

Andy
Old 20 April 2000, 12:46 AM
db
Scooby Regular

Andy, thanks again,

My concern with the cap is that they are dangerous to touch yes? major threat of shock (or are they not powerfull enough?

The amp I am installing is only for the sub, but I agree, dim lights, not good! Where is a good place to position the cap?

Cheers

Dave
Old 20 April 2000, 07:53 AM
db
Scooby Regular

Thanks Andy,

The fuse and fuse holder are as follows,

The 15AMP fuse (looks like any other car fuse, U shaped) sits in a black plastic clip. Coming out of the clip is an orange wire. The wire is one continuous loop that I am unstructed to cut and splice into the live feed one foot from the battery terminal. One thing that did puzzle me, and I did read the instructions correctly, is that even though the instructions say put this fuse in a dry place, the fuse holder has absolutley no waterproofing to it at all!

The other fuse is huge and without doubt is designed to sit on display (I'm sure you all know what I'm on about), but I'm still not sure where this is supposed to go?

Cheers

Dave
Old 20 April 2000, 09:09 AM
Dan Hack
Scooby Regular

I agree with Andy. 50A fuse is there to protect your car in case of a short-circuit.

I can't really see what the other fuse is for. Normally the amp itself has one (or more depending on model and power) fuses on it's own.
Old 20 April 2000, 09:55 AM
db
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Guys, your all correct.

Just spoke to the shop that sold it to me, and explained exactly what to do, so the 50AMP will be placed 1 foot away from the battery.

Is it worth wirng in a capacitor? If so what sort should I use for the above equipment and where do you put them?

SO many questions

Cheers,

Dave
Old 20 April 2000, 10:39 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I've got the 60amp fuse one foot from the battery, the live feed is fed through the car into the boot. The cable is then attached to a capacitor, and then split into two feed, one for each amp!

Depending on the size/number of amps etc, would decide the size of the cap! You normally only need it feeding the sub amp, but I thought what the hell and did both!

It has stopped my lights from dimming when the bass kicks in!! A bit disconcerting when you're driving at night, and the headlights dim in time to the bass!!!

Any questions, just post on the board, or email me!!

Hope this helps
Andy

Trending Topics

Old 20 April 2000, 01:19 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Yes if you buy one of the really big caps, you will get a very nasty spike, not sure if its enough to kill, but one of my mates says it will remove a significant chunk of flesh!

As will all power related connectors, they should be insulated or under cover.

You dont have to use fuses tho, trips are available like modern houses. I used to run one of those in the engine bay. Looks much more posey than an old fashined fuse, no matter what bits coated in gold!
Plus they are much more sensitive.

Alternative option to a cap is to run a seperate battery (dual charging system) for the audio system. Its worth doing if you are going to pull some serious juice as it takes the demand away from your normal battery.

robski
Old 20 April 2000, 02:22 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

In the hole, which is shown when the rear seats are folded down, I have a wooden board installed.

This is good for two reasons, it stops people breaking into the car, unfolding the rear seats, and getting access to the stereo in the boot, and it makes a perfect place to mount amps, and in my case, the cap as well!

I didn't want to get it wrong, so I got someone to install the cap for me!!

Have a look at