Removing Standard fit stereo

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2000, 04:35 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

hello all.

My MY94 WRX Wagon has the standard fit Kenwood head unit in it and I wish to remove it to make way for my shiny new Clarion unit. One thing I've just thought about is that I might need a special cable to convert the clarion ISO to the scooby stereo loom. I am told that the 94 model was when things began to change over to ISO connections. thus I need to check what connections I've got.

So, how does one go about getting the head unit out??? I've had a very quick look and have found that if you pull the cupholders out (yay! I found them!) you can unscrew the facia a bit, is this any help. I've pull the ashtray out and had a bit of a feel and a push but the thing seems to be well and trully snugly fitted into it's hole.

can anyone help me? has anyone got any pics that they could email me?

cheers?
Old 26 April 2000, 05:23 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Assuming you have the older style interior...

As you have already found, you pull the cup holder out and unscrew the top of the bit that ends near the gearstick. With some patience and investigation, you will find that you can eventually free this part from the radio bit and gently twist it around the gearstick gaiter... (sketchy from memory)...

When you have managed to get this face of you will see the radio/ashtray etc cradle is secured by 4 screws... undoe these and the whole unit pulls out (watching for cables as you go... hey presto... a bundle of wires, screws and radio bits!

Just remember to be patient, methodical and careful... you should also try and remember where all the screws came from, so you can get most of 'em back to their appointed homes on reassembly!

Moray
Old 26 April 2000, 05:24 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

PS: Make sure you are working in a dry, dog free area when you do this!
Old 26 April 2000, 05:25 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Moray:
Cheers! I'll have a go at it later.
Old 26 April 2000, 07:31 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Smile

Markus

After you have removed the 2 screws at the top of the trim that you have found, lift up the gear stick gaiter. You will find 2 more screws. Undo these. Remove the gear **** from the gear stick. It just unscrews. You can now lift up the fascia trim and gaiter.

As Moray says you will then find that the head unit is secured into the dash by 4 screws.

I don't know about the Clarion, but on some(most?) head units you will have to remove the surround that comes with it. Then it will fit into the dash with no problems and you will be able to get trim to fit back on.

Hope this helps

Charles
Old 27 April 2000, 09:14 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Also be carefull you don't drop any screws down into the gearbox linkage after removing the gaiter......it's an absolute pig to get it back out !!!!!

Old 27 April 2000, 02:32 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

You local car audio shop will be able to give you a plug/socket sorry cant remember the part no.(Autoleads make them) so you can just plug your replacement unit straight into the impreza loom..cost about £10 whole job will take you about 1/2 hour quickest ice upgrade I'd ever done..

Autoleads PC2-44-4 (just found it)

[This message has been edited by Showtime (edited 27-04-2000).]

Trending Topics

Old 28 April 2000, 09:45 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Cheers to all.

I phoned Car audio direct and ordered lead from them, and I got it this morning. I'v tried the lead and it fits, and it should do as it's the autoleads item that Showtime mentioned.

Once again scoobynet saves the day!

All I have to do now is to wiat for my stereo and then fit it.