ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

for any ice experts here

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2002, 05:37 PM
gaz turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can this be done????

i want to put on the back shelf of my impreza 2 6x9 speakers replacing the ****e ones there now and in the middle of the shelf put a 12" sub can it be achieved??????????

;-) :-)
Old 04 November 2002, 06:11 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

6*9's can be fitted to the rear shelf - its a squeeze, and you will need to make some spacer brackets to get them to fit. Basically you need to make a plate that fits the original fitment holes and then mate this to the speakers.

what you are suggesting would require the complete removal of the current shelf and a new one being made to fit the three speakers, including the sub. This could probably be done quite easily, but I wouldn't recomend it. The reason for this is that you will end up with overkill at the rear of the car. The 6*9's would be wasted, and would rob the sub of its power. You would also be running a free air sub, which would be hampered by the moving volume created by the 6*9's. The best route would be to ditch the 6*9's, take out the original rear speakers, and have a sub in a box in the boot. Put the best quality speakers you can in the front (probably something along the lines of a focal component set) and the sound will be much better than a shed load of speakers sitting on the rear parcel shelf. Don't forget, a sub mounted on the rear shelf is going to fire directly at the glass, and will distort and reflect unless you get one that is designed for such a purpose.

hth
Dave
Old 04 November 2002, 10:43 PM
gaz turbo
Scooby Regular

many thanks mate
Old 06 November 2002, 01:44 PM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

One thing to consider is that you will be cutting a 10" hole in your rearshelf.
Now personally I would class this as a 'kin stupid idea. Most cars use the rear shelf as part of the structural intergrity of the shell. You will be chopping out a large section of this, reducing the stifness of the body and probably causing all sorts of grief.
Old 06 November 2002, 02:18 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

My advice would be with chockymonster - I wouldn't cut steel at the back of the car!
Old 07 November 2002, 10:32 PM
gaz turbo
Scooby Regular

no i was going to get a new shelf fitted with all the kit in a stealth shelf i think its called or is that even more stupid i dont know
Old 08 November 2002, 12:32 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

I'd contemplated putting a 'stealth' shelf in the rear a while ago. The Idea was that some 6*9's would sit above the current shelf, but utilising the original holes, and then I would just fit a false lid on the top. When I measured it all up, I think it would have blocked too much rear window to make it a viable solution.
Old 08 November 2002, 06:23 PM
Paul STi 5
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Dont do that! Fit a good set of 6's in the shelf and a sub in the boot. Get one that needs a really small box if you need the space.
You never get great output from a free are sub.