ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2000, 12:44 AM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

Until recently I had my changer under the passenger seat of my Legacy GT-B, it has now moved to the boot but has been replaced by an amp under the seat.

It seemed to me that the only time that the changer would get warm from the heater ducts was when it, me and the rest of the car was cold and therefore the heater was on. On the other hand when the interior of the car was hot the aircon (through) the same ducts kept the changers temperature down.

Thus placing the changer/amp under the seat would help stabilise its temperature, rather than cause it to overheat

Paul
Old 13 January 2000, 07:38 AM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Question

Which CD changers have people managed to fit in their gloveboxes? I have only heard of Alpine CHA-S614 changers being fitted here.

Which CD changers fit under the front passenger seat?
Old 13 January 2000, 09:16 AM
Nick Lines
Scooby Regular

Under-seat is not recommended: there's an air vent under there which may make your changer a little too hot for comfort. I think the only option is sadly in the boot for a larger changer, possibly hanging from the parcel shelf.
Old 13 January 2000, 10:16 AM
James Adlington
Scooby Regular

Question

My changer (standard Philips job) is under the front passenger seat & it was my dealer who put it there - should I check with them about the overheating (& get them to move it to the boot)?
Old 13 January 2000, 05:56 PM
Nick Lines
Scooby Regular

Talking

Gusts of hot or cold air aren't going to be that hot or cold: you're probably right! Still, as I'm about to install a changer myself, I may block up the vent, or better still duct it around the changer just in case...

Thanks guys.
Old 16 January 2000, 02:06 PM
aziz
Scooby Regular

Talking

There is an 3 CD in-dash changer made by
alpine , it will save your glove compartment

You can also change CD magazines while driving , try that with an under the seat
or boot installation....

Good luck
Old 17 January 2000, 06:51 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Question

I am thinking of getting the Alpine 3 CD in dash changer. Does anyone have any experience of this player? Is it any good?

Trending Topics

Old 17 January 2000, 07:17 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

I looked at this headunit and thought that the buttons looked too fiddly for easy use.
If you are interested look at
Old 17 January 2000, 08:24 PM
xHammy
Scooby Newbie

If you've got £700 to spare, Nakamichi's MB75 is a 6 CD in dash changer/tuner with a removable amp section on its back.
Old 18 January 2000, 05:35 PM
Andy H
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Fitted the alpine unit to a customers car. he wanted a changer but because of his fire kit in the boot and power units for blue lights under the seats we could fit a normal unit.

We fitted the alpine unit as an alternative and he is very pleased with it. When checking after fitting it the radio picked up both FM and MW as good or better than other units we have fitted and so far he has had no problems with CDs jumping.

Worth fitting if you are short of space.

Andy H
Old 22 January 2000, 12:55 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

The local Alpine dealer tells me that the Alpine 3 CD in dash player is now discontinued.

He also had an ex demo Nakamichi 6 CD in dash changer for £525.
Old 22 January 2000, 05:16 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Doc.

I used to have the Alpine in my glovebox (see
Old 24 January 2000, 08:32 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

pics of my alpine in the glovebox at
Old 24 January 2000, 12:22 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Question

Stef
Do you have any pictures of your glovebox install?

Doc
Old 25 January 2000, 11:19 PM
lee_m
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've fitted the Alpine 3 disc in dash changer (3DE-7887R). Doing it DIY and am lazy so it was ideal. Slots straight in using ISO connectors supplied and that's it! 10mins.
It's got enough power to get your door trim rattling . Disc changing speed is acceptable but beware it pushes the cartridge out half way when it changes, doesn't foul the shifter unless you've got huge knuckles! and beeps a warning whilst doing it. Got usual Alpine sound quality & radio is good too.

As mentioned in the earlier post, buttons are fiddley - but like any unit - you get used to the main controls and can do volume without looking. Maybe look into the steering wheel remote?

The removable panel amounts to the lower half (full width) of the head unit (why don't more manufacturers do like the std Philips jobby and have a pocket sized panel?) and has NO flashing security light behind.

I'm happy enough with it - and can easily change without ripping up loads of wiring.

P.S. Still on sale at edworthys and caraudiodirect
Old 27 January 2000, 05:08 PM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Its worth thinking about a minidisc system. Sony do one - minidisc head unit, with 6 cd autochanger. One of the shops in 'Red Line' do this for £215 complete. Then spend £100 on a minidisc recorder from Richer Sounds, and you can copy all your mates cd's.
Old 28 January 2000, 09:37 AM
Nick Lines
Scooby Regular

Talking

Minidisc is wonderful, IMHO. I don't like in-dash CDs after wrecking many CDs through me not handling the things correctly - it's not the player's fault, it's the problem of where to put a CD once it's out of the unit...

MDs cannot be scratched and are nigh-on bomb proof. For in-dash, they're great.

The price sounds fantastic: a friend has the Sony unit in his car and it is pretty good - they did invent the technology. I've personally got the Kenwood PS970 which is wonderful, but 350 quid (shop around as it should be 500).

Email me if you want more MD evangelism.