ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

CD changer position question

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2000, 11:13 PM
AJC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Having just changed from a 4 door to 5 door Impreza I'm now wondering where to get my Sony CD Changer fitted.
Having had a good look around and try some different positions with the changer in the boot I'm none the wiser.
Does anyone else have a CD changer fitted in the boot of their 5 door and if so where? Ideally I reckon it needs to be towards the front so that the luggage cover hides it from prying eyes.

I also had a look under the front passenger seat but reckon that even if it did fit then the air vents wouldn't do it much good and changing the CD cartridge would be nigh on impossible.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew
Old 09 August 2000, 06:22 AM
aziz
Scooby Regular

Try some heavy duty velcro strips (hook & loop) on the back of your rear seat you can then access the changer by simply tilting
the seat forward to change your CD's ,the changer will also be at the front of your
luggage compartment and will be hidden by
the over head retractable cover .

Good Luck
Old 10 August 2000, 08:52 AM
AJC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Aziz,

Thanks for the tip, I'll investigate further. The only thing is that the changer would then be at an angle, rather than vertical or horizontal. I don't know if this would affect it?

Andrew
Old 10 August 2000, 09:07 AM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Mine's under the front seat, facing backwards so you change the cartridge via the rear door - which is fine once you've done it a couple if times and can do it by feel, rather than grovelling on your knees.

One slight hitch is that it restricts legspace slightly for the left rear passenger - but how often do you carry 4 adults any distance? The other is that you then can't change the cartridge if you've got the seats folded down - but this is probably preferable to having mountainbikes etc. bouncing around on top of it in the boot - not to mention the time the 12-pack of Stella burst!

Old 10 August 2000, 10:07 AM
AJC
Scooby Regular

Question

Is there any problem with the air vents causing it to overheat? I quite like the idea of fitting it under the seat but wasn't sure about this.
Also does the seat need to come out in order to fit it? (Almost inevitable, I would think).

Thanks

Andrew
Old 10 August 2000, 03:03 PM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Andrew,

You should be able to use your Sony CD changer unit whilst fitted at any angle. If it is like mine there are two round buttons on each end of the CD changer unit with a slot on each one shaped like an arrow.

These arrows need to be pointing vertically upwards no matter what angle to rest of the unit is. All you do to position the arrows correctly is put a 10p piece into the slots and turn the button. This is what Sony recommend in the installation manual.

Cheers

Sean

Old 10 August 2000, 03:25 PM
AJC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sean,

Thanks for the info, I know about these dials on the side but I thought that Sony recommended that the unit is either vertical or horizontal.
Anyway, I've taken the easy way out and I'm taking the car into have the unit fitted by a 'professional'. He also suggested the back of the rear passenger seat so it seems that is where it will probably go.

Thanks for everyone's help and ideas.

Cheers

Andrew