Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2002, 06:35 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my mates offered to sell his component speakers to me on the cheap from his Celica. 2 questions:

1. They're 5 1/4" inch cones - will they fit in the front doors OK? What's the best size to slot straight in without having to put a mounting in?
2. What's the best location to mount the tweeters? Are those little grill things next to the door handles tweeter mountings, or just for show?

Cheers
Old 23 September 2002, 08:29 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best thing to do with the tweeters is stick a blob of bluetack to the back and have a listen to them stuck on the A-pillar, then the dash, (firing upwards), and also on the doors. Go with whichever sounds best. I'm not convinced that the doors is the best place for them.
Old 23 September 2002, 08:43 PM
mikey f
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure about 5.25". Normally 5" go in the door but you need to use a mounting block. Use the vauxhall astra mounting cones thaty are available from halfords etc for the 5" speakers and locate the tweaters in the door (assuming its an MY98 or newer.. forgot that bit.
Old 23 September 2002, 09:28 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

i ALWAYS forget that bit - it's a MY00

If those door mounts are for tweeters that'd be the easiest place to put them. No cutting to mount them flush in the dash.
I want to keep the pillars free, really, for my boost gauge

Not too bothered about how good it sounds, it's only in the car. I was gonna just by coaxes anyway, until these were offered cheap.

Cheers
Old 23 September 2002, 09:39 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

i dont have luxury of tweeter mounts thingies as MY97 & i was guna do in triangle bit by window but have ended up with tweeters in the side bit of the floor panel which doesn't really get in way (so far fingers x'd) is outa sight so scum dont get tempted & in my ignorant opinion sounds pretty good, but then a fat mans wet fart sounds better than original shyte! Also shudn't b too expensive 2 replace the panel if i do end up pulling out 2 sell if i get rid of car wot am i saying
Si
PS is angled up as used the infinity tweeter angle mount thingies that came supplied
Old 24 September 2002, 09:02 AM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

I've decided to go for the tweeter mounts in the door, and just point them up a tad. It may not be the best place for them but as you say, scum can't see them, and they gotta sound better than a single unit!

Where do you hide the crossovers? I never had components before. How big are the crossovers? Can both fit in the glovey, or one in each door pocket without being seen. I don't use the door pockets for anything else.
Old 24 September 2002, 12:47 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Er dunno exactly where they put mine but it is either behind door panel or the behind where the tweeters r but wither way it aint takin up any storage space
Si
Old 24 September 2002, 02:36 PM
bendillon
Scooby Regular

put my JBL's in the tweeter piont drilled a big hole and they move to the angle i wanted, they look as if they sould be there.
1 hour to fit both, not bad for a half wit
try hot gluin them behind the mount looks good as well.
Old 24 September 2002, 03:01 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

bendillon, got any pix of that? would like to see it. Sounds a scary idea!