Crossover settings

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 1999, 04:25 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

All you ICE experts out there..

I just wondered what settings you were using.

I have a 6.5" component set up-front, currently set to highpass at 70Hz.

10" Sub lowpass at 100Hz.
Old 12 November 1999, 10:11 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

subs are two push pull tens in a tiny isobaric box. Paper cone therefore really hard hitting. Used a low pass 24 db cross over built into phoenix gold amp, set roughly to 200 Hz, non linear dial prevents me knowing exactly.

Since so much punch comes from subs, sixes in front probably start at around 120Hz again cant really say exactly.

Dont like boomy bass, and the way its set up, dont get any distorion from anything anywhere. Going to dynamat the roof though!

[This message has been edited by Adam M (edited 12-11-1999).]
Old 12 November 1999, 11:20 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Compared to my current setup, do you not find that you can "hear" the bass coming distinctively from the rear ?

If I take too much bass away from the fronts it makes it painfully obvious the sub is in the boot.
Similarly letting the sub handle higher frequencies makes its position apparent

?
Old 14 November 1999, 03:22 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Since it is impossible to get stereo bass, I can only assume that this is happening because you have taken too much from the mids and sent it to the subs so that the sub is in the realms of midbass.

I know what you mean but the only remedy is to do what you already have and move the xover point further down, thereby removing punch from the sub. Its a comprimise but since its subjective, its your choice.
Old 25 November 1999, 08:23 PM
yee_har
Scooby Regular

I thought the advice in these circumstances was to keep your x-over points roughly where they should be (say 80-90 hz) and reverse the sub phase i.e. run the amp's '+' and '-' outputs to the "wrong" sub terminals.

In cases such as you suggest this normally gives a dramatic improvement. "Wow - bass up front".

(Some head units er...including my Pioneer P99R...allow you to do this thru' software and the difference between "normal" and "reverse" phasing is pronounced)
Old 25 November 1999, 11:21 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

funnily enough was mucking about with the settings tonite...then saw your post !

tried 200Hz..yes more punch.

and my sub has always been in 180 phase..why this is better is beyond me ?? but just doesnt sound right otherwise..

perhaps you could explain
Old 26 November 1999, 12:55 PM
yee_har
Scooby Regular

> "perhaps you could explain"

Er...not really....just a case of that's what I saw when I was reading up on things before my install.
Then I installed components and a sub running off a 4-ch Rockford amp and the amp. manual also advised it (reverse phase).
Having moved on to an active front end using an "option laden" HU, trying both "normal" and "reverse" phasing proves "reverse" to be best (in my case).
Somebody'll have a techie answer no doubt!
Old 26 November 1999, 02:10 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Changing the phase doesnt always sound better, I find that it varies from song to song but if it sounds better then great. I would guess that it is related to the acoustics of the car and the path length of the sound from the sub to your ear.
Reflections off various points in the car will create and interference pattern with maxima and minima. By changing the phase, you have shifted the pattern (or possibly changed it completely - have to think about that one some more) so that your ears are now closer to a maximum, therefore the bass is now louder.
Old 27 November 1999, 12:38 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Lee,

Current settings...

Front Speakers - Highpass 100Hz
Rear Speakers - Highpass 80-90Hz (Can't remember without looking in the boot!)
Subs - Lowpass 100Hz

Andy

Ps - I'm getting two enclosures for my Subs now!! That should stop the push/pull effect I didn't want!!!