Stealth Box Install

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2002, 01:09 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

All,

Just got my Stealth box for my RB5, and had a few questions for people that have already fitted them before.

Do you simply remove the velcro adhesive tape and put the box in the final position ? It has velcro on the bottom and all the side edges that have contact with the car. It's a lovely fit Well pleased so far Bit confused to the best way of fitting it though. Why don't they send instruction with them ??

Any advise appreciated, cheers Phill C
Old 29 June 2002, 03:32 PM
DaveMcC
Scooby Regular

You don't need to stick anything to the car. You'll find the box comes with the "hook" side of the velcro strips stuck to it - just remove the other (outer) strip (not its adhesive backing paper, but the whole strip).

You'll need to get some more velcro from Halfords - you need the wide roll of velcro which costs about £5 (in my local Halfords it was on a separate display stand, and not with the other adhesives, velcros etc). Again you use only the "hook" side (you can tell easily - the "hook" side sticks very well to the scooby boot carpet!). Stick this to all the bits of the box which contact the boot carpet, except the bottom which doesn't seem to need any more (I think I added 3 long strips of it).

Next you're ready to place box in boot - might take a couple of attempts to position it right. Mine hasn't moved at all since I did this - it's well and truly stuck.

Dave

PS Thanks to TBMeech for showing me how his was fitted

[Edited by DaveMcC - 6/29/2002 3:34:22 PM]
Old 29 June 2002, 04:13 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just noticed that there isn't any sticky side to the second part of the Velcro, the fluffy side. I wonder why there isn't ??

So you think that simply adding a couple of extra thick strips would help ? I did noticed that the bits already attached to the box did sort of stick to the side of the car

Just of to Halfords to have a look

Cheers Phill C
Old 29 June 2002, 06:10 PM
Luke
BANNED

Red face

No way should you just use velcro.... It needs to be Bolted/strapped down. That box can do "Wonders" in a accident.
Old 02 July 2002, 08:43 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well I couldn't find the big Velcro strips in Halfords and did try it with the stuff supplied, and surprise surprise the box came un-stuck and was floating around the boot!!

Has anyone else bought one of these and did it differently ??

Cheers Phill C
Old 02 July 2002, 01:36 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Dave No worries!

I wouldnt be too worried about using velcro, if you use the stuff as Dave said from Halfords it will stick the thing tightly down, it wont come away even with a lot of force, had mine like this for about 7 months and it's never come off under normal driving conditions.
Old 02 July 2002, 09:25 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I bought the thick stuff after troolling around four Halfords and eventually finding it. £5.99 and sticky back ??? Cut the hooked bits up and tried sticking it to the carpet on the box and it came striaght off Got some Bostik out and tried gluing it all on and think I've just made a huge mess.....Surely I doing something wrong here ?? I haven't even tried fitting it in the car, and think I failed already

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looked behind the panels in the boot and there doesn't appear to be anywhere accessable that I can bolt it too HELP!!!!

Cheers Phill C

Trending Topics

Old 03 July 2002, 03:52 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Think of the force of someone, ah, rear ending you at 30mph plus. That box will want to move. VELCRO WILL NOT STOP IT, and with the weight of it it could take out the back seats.

There is a picture on the web of someone decapitated by a sub box in an accident.

STRAP THE (*")(*)(!"£ THING DOWN!
Old 04 July 2002, 12:35 PM
AliG
Scooby Regular

Question

Where do you get these stelth boxes from? and how much are they ?

also anybody gaot any pics?

Alistair
Old 04 July 2002, 12:44 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

I got mine from http://www.stealthbox.co.uk and it cost £159. It is a lovely fit and IMHO well worth the money. Took almost two weeks to come though.

Could take a picture later, if you so desire ?

Cheers Phill C
Old 04 July 2002, 12:50 PM
AliG
Scooby Regular

Question

That would be lovely but tell you what I am going to go to Donington on Sundy so should be able to get a look at someones then so dont go to too much trouble

Cheers

Alistair
Old 10 July 2002, 07:08 PM
n5pug
Scooby Regular

Chiark,
If a car were to rear end you the box is going to go backwards not forwards. However if you ram the thing into a lamp post or such like, do expect the box to come through the back seat and take your head off.
you are right to say BOLT IT DOWN though
just my 2 pence worth
Old 17 July 2002, 02:18 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Blimey Phil, Ive got one of these too...

Just velcro isnt the answer, on right hand hairpins the box would fall inward (ive a heavy Infinity 12inch sub) and then drop back down on the straights (I could hear it!) what i found is that it was stuck well enough to the carpet but the box was lifting the carpet with it! I double sided taped the carpet down but that didnt seem to work....

Ive now added a loop of velcro to stop the thing lifting but have to say im not mega happy with it.

Dont wanna go drilling the car especially as i want the ability to remove the thing at a moments notice so as i can make use of the boot....

FWIW Im was going to put a pic of my box up but its 285k and Adobe have removed the 'Optimise Image' option... help!)

Jon.