Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Anyone heard of or used Jensen speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2014, 12:04 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Anyone heard of or used Jensen speakers?

Stumbled upon a set in the loft the other day, I have had these for about twenty years but not used them. They were a component set that I bought, but I only used the tweeters that came in the set to go along with two 8" pioneer subs.
I have googled them and found a Wikipedia page on Jensen speakers.
Apparently the company was founded in America by the co founder of the very first loudspeaker, and when fender started making guitar amps they were the speakers used, and as such had a good reputation in the 40's 50's and 60's, but stopped making speakers in the late sixties, until they were reissued in the nineties.

Have found a few on ebay, old ones are quite expensive. You can get new ones very cheap, but the ones on ebay that are around the vintage of my speakers seem to sell for quite a bit more than new ones.

Just wondered if it was worth chucking them in the back doors of my impreza.
They are 130mm fibreglass cone woofers, it doesn't say the weight of the magnet but it is quite substantial, measuring 85mm dia, and 20mm thickness.
Total depth of speaker is 60mm.
Power handling of the component set is from 10 to 100 watts
Usable frequency response 70hz - 20Khz
Sensitivity 90db

I have recently changed the hu for an alpine double din unit, and want to upgrade the fronts for focal components, but figured as I have these laying around and given the standard rear speakers paper cone and tiny magnet that they have got to be better than standard speakers.
Old 04 December 2014, 01:35 PM
JayUK91
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you think they'd fetch a decent amount of cash, I'd just flog them and put the cash towards your front Focals.

Once you've got some front components properly sorted it won't be necessary to have anything better than standard speakers in the back.
Old 09 December 2014, 01:57 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

So, just popped round to see a mate of mine, he has very kindly given me some speakers that he had kicking around that he doesn't want.

Infinity reference series 165mm component woofer speakers, minus the tweeters.
Can I hook these straight up to the existing tweeters in the front doors, or do I need crossovers, and ideally replacement tweeters?

And a set of infinity reference series 6x9's, although I am unsure about fitting these, but may play about with making some pods that sit on top of the parcel shelf for them to go in.
Old 04 July 2020, 05:49 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Door cards are fairly straight forward to remove. Plenty on YouTube to show you how to do it. Standard speakers use a connection on the wiring that will need to be replaced, so you will need to get yourself some spade terminals.