Speakers upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2020, 11:11 PM
Marklythgoe1983
Scooby Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Speakers upgrade

hi
I bought my 05plate blob eye yesterday an the stereo is shocking I've already got a pioneer touch screen to go in but what size speakers are fitted to the front doors rear doors and parcel shelf area im looking at going for hertz speakers running off amps not sure which ones to go for yet
Old 27 August 2020, 04:47 PM
TheWaterboy
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had same issue, on my 3rd set of speakers now (including originals).

Fronts are 5.25 inch but you can fit 6 inch with adaptors
Rear ares 4.5 inch (I've seen adaptors allowing bigger but haven't done so myself)
There aren't any on the parcel.

What I would say make sure you use sound deadening, it makes the world of difference (no rattles and much imrpoved bass)
The following users liked this post:
Old 28 August 2020, 09:50 AM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklythgoe1983
hi
I bought my 05plate blob eye yesterday an the stereo is shocking I've already got a pioneer touch screen to go in but what size speakers are fitted to the front doors rear doors and parcel shelf area im looking at going for hertz speakers running off amps not sure which ones to go for yet
When I first got my 03 seven years ago I quickly swapped in my Alpine 9884 HU which made a big difference, and then upgraded the speakers to some £50/pr Alpines which were a definite improvement again. However, I did what everyone else recommends and used MDF speakers to go from 5" to 6" up front and 4" to 5" in the back. The problem with doing this is the MDF spacers then clout the door cards and mean you get increased reverberation and rattles etc. I'm sure there are ways to get around this but when those speakers started to fail I replaced them with higher spec Alpine units in the correct size. Not only did they fit so much better, they sound way better too. If you're making your own spacers then fair enough but if you're buying then that adds cost, and IMO you're better off spending that extra on higher spec speakers. I got mine in a sale from Car Audio Centre and went with SPG-10C2 for the back and SPG-13C2 up front. Relatively they're not even that high up the range, but they are really good and I wish I'd gone that way to start with. I see they're only about £40 a pair now too.

This is a link to fitting them and what they look like installed if it's any help for you:
https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/for...8&postcount=85
Old 28 August 2020, 10:03 AM
TheWaterboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ST-X
When I first got my 03 seven years ago I quickly swapped in my Alpine 9884 HU which made a big difference, and then upgraded the speakers to some £50/pr Alpines which were a definite improvement again. However, I did what everyone else recommends and used MDF speakers to go from 5" to 6" up front and 4" to 5" in the back. The problem with doing this is the MDF spacers then clout the door cards and mean you get increased reverberation and rattles etc. I'm sure there are ways to get around this but when those speakers started to fail I replaced them with higher spec Alpine units in the correct size. Not only did they fit so much better, they sound way better too. If you're making your own spacers then fair enough but if you're buying then that adds cost, and IMO you're better off spending that extra on higher spec speakers. I got mine in a sale from Car Audio Centre and went with SPG-10C2 for the back and SPG-13C2 up front. Relatively they're not even that high up the range, but they are really good and I wish I'd gone that way to start with. I see they're only about £40 a pair now too.

This is a link to fitting them and what they look like installed if it's any help for you:
https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/for...8&postcount=85
I ended getting these from a breaker (JDM spec) realy well made speaker and sound is leagues ahead of other aftermarket I've used Pioneer Carrozzeria TS-J160A.

The following users liked this post:
Old 28 August 2020, 03:36 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

hi
Budget?
Old 28 August 2020, 04:39 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

hi
get some pictures up of your car mate, I might see you around Liverpool 👍
Old 08 September 2020, 08:32 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWaterboy
I ended getting these from a breaker (JDM spec) realy well made speaker and sound is leagues ahead of other aftermarket I've used Pioneer Carrozzeria TS-J160A.

Made in Japan...you’ll struggle to get new Pioneer co-axials like that over here these days
Old 08 September 2020, 01:43 PM
Marklythgoe1983
Scooby Newbie

TECHNOPUG i don't really have a budget when I was young and stupid I had a 8k build in a 206 but now older an a little more sensible dont want to go spending no more than 100 front 100 rear
Old 08 September 2020, 01:49 PM
Marklythgoe1983
Scooby Newbie

johno01 were abouts in liverpool you from this is the only pic I have since I removed the stickers
Old 08 September 2020, 09:39 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

TECHNOPUG i don't really have a budget when I was young and stupid I had a 8k build in a 206 but now older an a little more sensible dont want to go spending no more than 100 front 100 rear
Rear speakers are a waste of time. Just spend all the money on front end installation with components. 6.5" can be persuaded to fit.
Old 09 September 2020, 08:36 AM
TheWaterboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johno01
get some pictures up of your car mate, I might see you around Liverpool 👍
There you go.