ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2014, 10:00 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Speaker upgrade

I have recently changed the hu for alpine double din unit.
A mate of mine has given me some infinity reference series 6x9's and also some 6.5" component woofer speakers. I don't have any crossovers or the tweeters with the component speakers, can I just replace the woofer units in the front doors, and wire them straight to the block connector for the original woofer speakers?

I know I need to make spacers for the door speakers.
Old 07 January 2015, 12:04 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes is the answer regards the woofers. Whether you'll notice much difference over the OEM is debateable. Try just the installing the new HU with the stock speakers and see how it sounds. Fitting 6.5" is a hassle - worth it but only if you are going the whole hog with matching tweeter/crossover/amp etc.
Old 07 January 2015, 04:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Unless you buy 3-in-one speakers.......
Old 17 January 2015, 10:35 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Fitted them shortly after I posted this.
When I posted I had already changed the hu for the alpine one. That definitely made a difference in sound quality, but the speakers did still distort easily.
I bought myself some spade terminals, and a roll of builders merchants sound deadening
Knocked up some brackets to fit the 6.5 infinitys and set about the install.

It does sound a lot better, but then the stock sound system in my Volvo is fantastic and this set up can't live with it on bass levels, but some CDs can be played at max volume without distortion now. If I were to get in the car after my wife had used it and left the stock stereo and speakers on, my instant first reaction would have been to hit the power off button as quickly as possible, but now the sound quality is much improved.
Having read that it wasn't really worth changing the rear door speakers, I decided to anyway as I had some 5.25" Jensen speakers that I had kept for the past twenty or so years but had never used. They looked a lot better quality than the standard speakers, so figured I would try them but didn't expect much, but they seem to be as good sound quality as the infinitys I put in the front, and definitely worth changing them. I did also sound deaden the rear doors whilst fitting these, but did not need to make adapter spacers.

Last edited by WRXrowdy; 17 January 2015 at 10:36 AM.