Notices

What boost in PSI does.......

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2002, 10:21 AM
Maxed_Motors
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My brother just bought a standard subaru its a v reg 99. What the standard boost it will be running at ??

On my car it runs 7 but you can safely turnb it to 10 withought alktering ecu etc

What can his be turned up too withought problems ?>?
Old 28 May 2002, 10:24 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13.7 PSI. A sensible increase is to 16 PSI with a Dawes Devices product from www.performanceexhausts.net if all you want to do is increase the boost.
Old 28 May 2002, 10:41 AM
Maxed_Motors
Scooby Newbie

basically a bleed valve then ?

can you not turn the boost up via teh actuator or is this not feasable on a subaru ??
Old 28 May 2002, 10:50 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Its not a bleed valve. I forgot what the terminology is because I'm stuck with a cold. The turbo spools up much quicker than a bleed valve.

[Edited by Katana - 28/05/2002 10:50:58]
Old 28 May 2002, 10:56 AM
Maxed_Motors
Scooby Newbie

so the product that is 35 pounds which is a "pressure Valve" that looks like a bleed valve but works on pressure instead buy this and run 16PSI safely ?
Old 28 May 2002, 10:57 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The boost control is closed loop - tightening the actuator makes it peaky then fluctuant and is horrible unless you remap the map sensor - HKS FCD is an example, but you then need discipline about what boost level you want to run as this raises the fuel cut also. Bleed valve only increases peak boost unless you remove the factory boost controller from the setup. The Dawes does that, but arguably gives quicker spool up than a bleed valve. It is a much better solution and more the money cannot be beaten. I am assuming you mean a UK model Subaru not an STi or WRX.

[Edited by john banks - 28/05/2002 11:00:17]
Old 28 May 2002, 11:02 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Dude, trust me on this one. Ahh, I remember now, its a bal and spring device.

Get yourself a Dawes and a Bleed Valve and compare it yourself if you don't believe us. I've got the Dawes running at 17 psi on an early model and I still haven't got any problems (touch wood).

If you want to find out more about this device, click on to performanceexhausts.net . The info is there. Alternatively, talk to Jamie, he's a friendly bloke and he'll give you an honest opinion.

But if you got cash to spend, ask him for an Electronic boost controller. Personally I see it as a bit frivalous when I can get the same result by using a device that only costs aroun 30 quid.

[Edited by Katana - 28/05/2002 11:04:28]
Old 28 May 2002, 11:02 AM
Maxed_Motors
Scooby Newbie

yeh it is a uk version and he wanted to know standard boost and whot it can be easily upped to so if he orders teh 35 pound dawes device puts that in and away he goes or do things also need altering ?

Dunno if this is normal too when he boots it in first and put into second the car jurks before going again in second like lag all ovber again can a dump valve get rid of this ?
Old 28 May 2002, 11:20 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

There's already a dump valve in the Turbo Scooby. But yeah, thats the spool up which can be minimised when you fit in a Dawes. When you change gears, you lose a bit of pressure from the turbo and it has to spool up all over again. Thats why some people get the Dawes, not to increase boost (cough) but to minimise lag.

Want to get rid of the lag all together? Get yourself an anti-lag kit(not road legal).
Old 28 May 2002, 11:25 AM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

Can't comment on the impreza specifically but I had a bleed valve fitted to an MR2 turbo and a twin turbo GTO and then had an HKS EVC IV and the difference was huge. The EVC IV alters to hold as close to the boost as possible for your setting. It was especially noticable on the GTO as boost really dies off before the redline. With the controller set to .9 bar I was still getting .8 by the redline. With the bleed valve I was getting .85 at normal revs but it was off to just under .5 by the redline.

As I say I don't know the boost characteristics on the impreza well enough to know if it would work as well on it but a good electronic controller has proven well worth the money both times I've used it.

A nice little extra feature is the overboost button too if you like to play. It lets you set an overboost level that will run for 20secs when you press the button for the little extra kick. Wasn't really relevent in my case as I just got the info on maximum safe boost for the mods I had and then ran .1 bar below all the time

The greed for power was too much.