Notices

hi, im new here, hoping someone can help me...

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2013, 05:20 PM
mef82
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi, im new here, hoping someone can help me...

Hi, i own an Impreza Catalunya, and over the last week or two something has been causing tge car to sort of drag, and creating lots of heat under the car. Ive had all the calipers replaced, and still the problem persists. Ive had the handbrake checked, with no problems. The problem is causing the engine to get hot quick, although the temprature gauge is staying where it should be. I also get a clunking sound from somewhere every now and then, especially cornering. Any ideas what it could be? Any suggestions would be most appreciated as its driving me insane!
Thanks,
Mark.
Old 12 August 2013, 05:49 PM
Cammy5106
Scooby Regular

Wheel bearing
CV joint
without seeing it hard to say but they do warm up quickly

Does it free wheel on a slope or does it stay still like the brakes are on ?
Old 12 August 2013, 05:57 PM
mef82
Scooby Newbie

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Basically it feels like something is holding it back, thats why i got the calipers replaced as i thought one ot more may have seized (this has happened before and it solved the problem last time) but this time it made no difference. Had the car on ramps earlier and wheels move freely with handbrake off, as they should, so ive ruled that out. The car seems to be holding itself very slightly when brakes are off, and generally using more revs than usual to power the car, also an obvious sharp increase in fuel use. The heat that is being generated underneath the car is that bad that i have to stop every half hour to let it cool down, this never happened in the 3 years i have owned this car until now. The clunking noise is intermittent, usually at low speeds cornering and going over speed bumps.
Old 12 August 2013, 06:03 PM
Cammy5106
Scooby Regular

Do you think its a boost issue and do you have a boost gauge fitted is it reading normal ?

Did you have a look at the drivetrain when it was on the ramp and check the propshaft diff and so on ?

One of my mates Newage had the internal parts of his rear silencer fall to bits recently and this caused his car to hold back, not saying yours is the same but could cause the exhaust to heat excessively if blocked too.
Old 12 August 2013, 06:30 PM
Athame1
Scooby Regular

what is getting hot?
Old 12 August 2013, 06:50 PM
mef82
Scooby Newbie

I have a boost gauge and its reading normal. Shaft etc all seemed ok, i have a cobra sports cat and race tube on the back, its just a pipe basically and it all seems clear. Athame1, i dont know what is getting hot underneath but the heat comes through the seats within about 15 mins of driving, and when i get out of the car with shorts on i can feel the heat on my legs! This has all started after a 300 mile journey i did a couple of weeks ago, not been right since... Self diagnostics is coming up as clear too...
Old 12 August 2013, 07:05 PM
Cammy5106
Scooby Regular

I think if I was you and it was mine I would try and drain the gear oil out the box for a look. if heat is coming from the transmision tunnel area all that is there is exhaust and gearbox and prop shaft.

Any whine noises coming from the box when driving ?
Old 12 August 2013, 07:19 PM
mef82
Scooby Newbie

I recently had the car serviced including the gear box oil being changed, and every other fluid on the car. Theres no whining from the gears etc, just the heat and the intermittent clunk.
Old 13 August 2013, 01:40 AM
Athame1
Scooby Regular

radiator top and bottom hoses both hot when running and hot underneath?