Notices

Engine temp increase on track!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2013, 10:35 PM
Blocks85
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine temp increase on track!!

Evening all, just wanted to know if anyone has come across this problem at all.

I'm running a 352hp newage blob Sti that I use a lot for track. Car is still perfect as ever but when on track for over 10 mins or so the engine temp rises off the half way mark to the 3/4 line and maybe even just above but no where near the red.
Now I was under suspicion that even when the engines red hot with the fans in it stays at half way, but you may be able to tell me if that's wrong.

I've drive it to the nurburgring at eastwr and done 3 days there etc and was fine. Drove back then did japfest so generally the car is perfect.

It seems to shows its head at my local track which is castle combe like when I was on track yesterday(Saturday).
The car gets driven very hard, it will get flat out for 15 mins and pushed to the limit but that's what I love about the car as its amazing especially on track.

When the gauge rises to 3/4 if I got steady for half a lap it will settle back to half so I just wonder is it getting water temp spikes from where the turbo is working hard etc??
I put a new radiator on it last year etc.

I had the car running for like 2 hours at Dover port before we loaded the ferry and it didnt rise above half and was text book.
It just seems to be in track under very hard driving conditions.

Tried to give you all the best ideas of the car and what I've done for the best understanding.

Many thanks for your time.
Cheers Chris

Last edited by Blocks85; 30 June 2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 30 June 2013, 10:47 PM
Jacko4130
Scooby Regular

Get a oil temp gauge fitted and maybe an oil cooler for piece of mind.

i run 429/380 in my blob sti and can get oil temps over 120 degrees without much effort so am in the process of filling a cooler at the moment.
Old 30 June 2013, 10:54 PM
Blocks85
Scooby Regular

That was my thoughts bud, was wondering if my temp increases are due to oil temps then the whole engine generally increasing.

Could be time for an oil cooler to help the old girl when on track.

I use to run 2 oil collets on a saxo turbo track car I had so might follow that idea ish.

Cheers
Old 01 July 2013, 12:13 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

I would have look on the Oil cooler with thermostatic sensor, which should help on the track

Without the Oil cooler we run and we get same as you higher oil temps usually 110-120C,with oil cooler temps are considerably lower around 90-100C

Jura
Old 01 July 2013, 08:52 AM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

oil is at it optimum working temp around 120, around 100 degrees isnt hot enough to burn off water vapour. but too hot is bad, oil will start to break down over 140 degrees.

does your cooling system have any leaks? as the water system is pressureised the water doesnt boil at 100 degrees c, it can run hotter.

fit an oil temp gauge and go from there imo
Old 01 July 2013, 09:39 PM
Blocks85
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for the reply guys, appreciate your time and thoughts.

The cooling system is 100% perfect and free of leaks as I have triple checked it over the last 6 months to give me any idea of what's the problem is.
As mentioned its 99% perfect all the time, just under very hard use on track I.e 15 mins on the red line and no less it shows its head and get a temp increase.

I'm going to look at getting an oil temp gauge and oil cooler.

If the engine temp is going above half to about 3/4 any ideas what sort of water temps that would be?.
Cheers Chris

Last edited by Blocks85; 01 July 2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02 July 2013, 10:39 AM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

the car will tell you when its too hot, so long as your dash all works ok lol

Trending Topics

Old 03 July 2013, 01:24 PM
JuergenG
Scooby Regular

Might be hard to compare, but my JDM V2 WRX hits the cold line somewhere between 30 and 40°C and is at 80°C at a tad above the middle position. Most of the time it just sits there, which seems correct to me, since that is about the temperature, where the thermostat for the radiator opens. So doing the math and assuming it's a linear sensor, I'd say 3/4 would be something around 100°C. I don't think there will be much difference over the different MYs, but you never know.