Notices

Any Commercial Vehicle Mechanics on here?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2002, 04:45 PM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As heading says!!! Probs with old Tranny van.Fuel starvation/air in the system one or t'other i think , is there a way of checking?
Old 20 May 2002, 05:54 PM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

bttw
Old 20 May 2002, 05:55 PM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

BTTT I MEAN !
Old 20 May 2002, 10:13 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

what year is the tranny?
Old 21 May 2002, 09:02 AM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

Its a 97 R (smilie front) any ideas?
Old 22 May 2002, 08:05 PM
well hung
Scooby Regular

Just so happens one of my earlier vans was an R reg and suffered a similar problem, started off just losing power and eventually wouldnt break 40. I changed the fuel filter which cost £7 and took me 2 minutes to fit and it was fine. Cause: bad diesel. Hope it helps, Ad.
Old 22 May 2002, 08:11 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

You are ten years too late I'm afraid. I sold my haulage business in 1992. I had 12 HGV mechanics working for me. I still have the phone numbers of three of them though, but I can't pull any strings, if you get my drift......Blutes
Old 22 May 2002, 09:11 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Question

just a few stabs in the dark - is it petrol or diesel?

does it take ages to start when turning over but runs ok when going?

if petrol - does it have a manual fuel pump on side of block or is it electric? if manual / engine driven pump, have the non-return valves blocked / worn out on pump which allows juice to run back to tank overnight? as mentioned, is fuel filter blocked / full (they generally don't look to be full of fuel when running)?

if diesel, is injection pump working OK (non user servicable unless you want big bill for getting back working )? as before, is fuel filter blocked? when was the last time filter housing was drained to let out air & water (runs rough if "burning" water as well)? you slowly collect water from filling stations so can't really avoid it does it start ok if injection pump is primed from inline fuel pump? (might be an idea to fit one eg out of citroen zx as saves battery if you ever have to churn engine over to drag fuel through)

possibility of fuel pipes becoming porous with age and letting air into line or might be damaged with same effect. my dad's about to change te ones on his xantia and garage says they sell approx 5 sets of pipes a month to get round this porosity.

if it runs like a dog when driving (i.e. not starting) it might be things like fuel filter (air filter as well - it might not be allowed to breathe)

if diesel, are the glowplugs ok for starting it - there's ways of checking these with a multimeter or are the injectors ok - do you get black clouds out the back - might be a case of overhauling the injectors (changing the needle & seat rather than the full injector which can be on the steep side)?

this lot might seem like a brain fade but you could find something in it which would help

Apple
Old 22 May 2002, 11:02 PM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, bit the bullet today and took it to a garage, wish I had done a week ago , 10 min job, something todo with an air lock developing at the return fuel pipe going into the injector on no. 4 cylinder.Because the engine sits at a slight angle air is encouraged to develope at this point ??The return pipe was moved to no. 1 cylinder , any air in the system is now self bleeding before it gathers...... the whole problem ,so the guy says, is a ****tier quality of Derv nowadays which is causing a lot of probs with older styli diesel engines.
Hopefully back to speedier Couriering
Colin
Old 23 May 2002, 12:22 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Talking

glad you got it sorted

BTW "Hopefully back to speedier Couriering" - is the tranny white?

Apple