Subaru Question

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2013, 08:09 AM
kevaldo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru Question

Hi Guys,

I sold my old jap spec bug a while back before I moved to Australia. No I'm here and the Aussie forums just don't cut the mustard like this one. I'm wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions regarding a 2007 WRX.

I have convinced the Mrs to now let me have a scooby once more, she liked the Holden Commadore, until I told her the engine size options. 3.6 or 6.0 V8, although I would love a go in a V8. She was like well I actually like the 2007 shape Subaru.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-2007-14705988

Thats just one for example I have pulled off the local listings. Now for my questions regarding this particular model.

In terms of the 2.5 litre engine, how durable are they? Please do not tell me this is the model cadburys made the pistons. The jap models are 2.0 right? I am also considering playing with it alittle bit when we get one, new brakes potentially, are they 4 pots on it? Bhp increase (300bhp approx) although they use kW as a measure of power. Are there any issues with the gearboxes? Anything esle I should be aware of when considering purcashing one?

Thanks for the help guys,

Kev.
Old 01 May 2013, 08:39 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sadly mate yes the 2.5's are the one with cheap pistons that like to melt, WRX and STI ones.
However, it tends to be at higher levels than 300bhp when they do this.
I'm not sure about how the WRX version compares to the STI but I've seen a number of STI hatch engines melt pistons when taken above 350bhp.
Jap ones are indeed 2.0. and on STI's I believe they're twin scroll too (not sure about WRX models).

WRX models have 4 pots which are questionable at best even on the standard power.
Going to 300bhp you'd be best off seeking out a set of used Brembos, K-Sports or equivalent.
Personally, having tried all 3 I settled on K-Sports.
You'll see near 280bhp on the standard TD04 with the right mods, but a VF24 or 28 will put you in the early 300's with little issue. For a little more TD05 16g (front entry), VF34 or VF35, the first and last being a lot cheaper and easier to source than the second.

Gearbox will be absolutely fine with 300bhp, it's the torque element that kills 5 speeds - venture into 340-350+ ft/lbs and you'll find it'll probably kill itself, although the later ones like yours are the strongest design Subaru made.

Oh, and whilst I'm admittedly biased - Go for a blob or a hawk - they're better looking
Old 01 May 2013, 08:54 AM
kevaldo
Scooby Regular

Yeah I thought it was the case with this particular model. There so much more expensive over here aswell. I can't seem to find any import places that stock imprezas, there all either Skylines or Evo's.

Yeah brake wise I was thinking of Wilwoods from the states as its close. I just sold a TD05-16g before I left the UK haha. Yeah I was thinking a potential Hawk, but its convincing the Mrs because it has to be a newish car.

I mite have to go back to the V8 Holden instead haha. You should hear them things rumble by.

Cheers for the Advice pal.
Old 01 May 2013, 09:04 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Yeah the Wilwood brakes are supposedly pretty decent and lightweight.
You've also got the Alcon lightweight versions too although they tend to attract a silly premium!

If you're in Oz, might be cheaper and easier to get on the boat to Japan and go get one .
I know what you mean about the Holden's but honestly I find they look a bit "Lotus Carlton" (i.e. 90's styling) for my liking.

In terms of new car, just remind her that Subaru tend to be more reliable than Vauxhall
Old 01 May 2013, 10:16 AM
kevaldo
Scooby Regular

Yeah I know but there are alot of import issues and such like tar tax, import tax, luxary car tax etc.. Its not worth it as I've considered it. I mite have to go to the darkside and convince the Mrs an Evo would be the better option as there are thousands avaliable.

The new ish Holden Commadore V8 6.0 sounds unreal haha and with 580 bhp out of the box would be some fun but yeah there not exactly styled the best but there getting better.
Old 01 May 2013, 10:53 AM
dpravo
Scooby Newbie

I know this is a Subaru forum and I shouldn't be encouraging it, but you're downunder now, get some good old fashioned aussie muscle in the form of a VE SS Commodore! Big roads need a big engine!
Old 01 May 2013, 02:36 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

"Luxury car tax"? Bloody hell - have they seen a Scoob?
Old 01 May 2013, 03:09 PM
kevaldo
Scooby Regular

I've looked into bringing all sorts in, it all depends on the agent dealing with the import and how they decide exactly what the car is worth here, not what I paid for it in the UK or Japan for example. If they say it costs over $60,000 then I have to pay a lot more tax. I mite see if I can get an agent to cost it up for me or I buy a 580bhp beast. I heard one tear past me before in the city sounded unreal.
Old 01 May 2013, 03:57 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

What I know JDM WRX(from 2007-2008 hatchback) have too 2.5L,only older pre 2007 has have 2.0L

Not sure if I would buy 2.5L just due some issues with them,but seems those issues are only with UK models,on USDM or others are not the issues with them,if you are looking on Nasioc people there running stock 2.5L in fairly high bhp without the issue

Really if you can stretch to the JDM or STi,you will be much more happy

Good luck there

Jura
Old 02 May 2013, 09:38 AM
kevaldo
Scooby Regular

Yeah I have just posted up on the rexnet forum and they had said the exact same issues experienced with that specific car here in Australia as well as the UK.

They even have a tread like we do on the engine fails. http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index...ailure-thread/ - There it is for anyone else who fancies a read.

They posted up - I assume you're only referring to WRX and not STI's.
Current generation (2008-2013) WRX's come with:
- identical EJ255 as UK model
- 2 pot sliding brakes front, single pot sliding rear
- 08 WRX's were pretty much fail, big changes to the 09 model, with a bigger turbo, to bring power much closer to the STI's. http://www.wrxtuners...-vs-09-a-29127/
- style wise, 08-10 were non-wide body. MY11+ wore the same wide body as the STI.

So I have to find a 2009 model now for the right money....oh the joys.

How's it going Jura pal, what you driving these days?
Old 02 May 2013, 08:21 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevaldo
Yeah I have just posted up on the rexnet forum and they had said the exact same issues experienced with that specific car here in Australia as well as the UK.

They even have a tread like we do on the engine fails. http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index...ailure-thread/ - There it is for anyone else who fancies a read.

They posted up - I assume you're only referring to WRX and not STI's.
Current generation (2008-2013) WRX's come with:
- identical EJ255 as UK model
- 2 pot sliding brakes front, single pot sliding rear
- 08 WRX's were pretty much fail, big changes to the 09 model, with a bigger turbo, to bring power much closer to the STI's. http://www.wrxtuners...-vs-09-a-29127/
- style wise, 08-10 were non-wide body. MY11+ wore the same wide body as the STI.

So I have to find a 2009 model now for the right money....oh the joys.

How's it going Jura pal, what you driving these days?

Hi there

This AUS WRX is very similar spec to the JDM version(JDM version has come too with 2 sliding pots at front and single pot at rear),engine wise yes WRX have EJ255 and STI have EJ257,both have AVCS

Shame about the same issue with engines,seems USDM version are not affected with this issue(or yes too,but they're not widely publicised as over here in UK)

As I said,STI will be mine choice or JDM STI

We are still have wagon and still looking for more and more power,hopefully everything will be soon finished and wagon will be on road,hopefully with 600bhp

Jura
Old 03 May 2013, 07:26 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

US have the same issue you see it from time to time on NASIOC - re frequency my guess is tuned slightly less because the grade of fuel they tend to have is so much lower than ours.
Old 03 May 2013, 09:02 AM
kevaldo
Scooby Regular

So to cut a long story short there is no point in getting one of that particular model. We will have to save some more pennies and buy the model above or get one from Japan (Maybe). Cheers for the info guys.