Notices

DIY Engine builds...how hard are they?

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2013, 06:49 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Engine builds...how hard are they?

As above, how difficult would it be to do a DIY engine build? I'd be looking to swap out my newage WRX lump with a stronger forged STI block to run a safe 400 with the flexibility to take it to 450 in the future. I want to build it myself as a process of learning and the satisfaction of a DIY build of course.

I have access to garage ramps and bodies to help so no issues there. Is it also worth it financially or would I be safer putting it in more experienced hands when weighing up costs?

Cheers chaps
Old 24 April 2013, 07:04 PM
chasey
Scooby Regular

If your asking this question then I would advise not to attempt it, or find someone who knows what they are doing and learn off them.
Old 24 April 2013, 07:11 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Just phone me and ill build you one ;-)
Old 24 April 2013, 07:39 PM
wagonwill
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by wms-racing
Just phone me and ill build you one ;-)
New Sti short engine fully forged can be bought off this guy at good prices seen his ads on ebay
Old 24 April 2013, 08:06 PM
markyboywrx
Scooby Regular

pm me a price please?..... forged looking for 350 bhp and a strong stong engine......
Old 24 April 2013, 08:15 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Pulling it apart is easy, putting it together again is harder but the real tricky part is sizing pistons, rings to bores , checking bearing clearances, where to put assemble past ect. If you do a diy i suggest you at least get an engine builder or decent engineering shop to do this part.
Old 24 April 2013, 08:19 PM
scoobaru mad
Scooby Regular

There's no such thing as a "cheap" engine rebuild. Rings, head bolts, gaskets, belts, bearings etc etc. plus the builders labour/profit.

Prices may be good compared to others, but no. Rebuilds are anything but cheap lol.

Good on you for wanting to give it go bud. But I'd go the expensive route an get a reputable tuner to build it.
Old 24 April 2013, 08:48 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

Ive rebuilt several engines, although not a a boxxer lump but inline 4's.
I did get an engine machine shop to bore and hone the block, polish the crank and supply heavy duty bearings tho.

But the actual assembly i undertook.

So long as you are meticulously clean and as said oil the bearings etc as you fit them then its not really that difficult.

Gapping the rings and actually fitting the piston/rod/ring assembly can be a bit tricky but that is the hardest part imo.

If your running the standard cams then dialing them in is not necessary as there are timing marks on the belt.

There is info out there on torque settings etc

And as you said, its the best way to learn!
There really isnt that much to engine.

Now, i have never rebuild a transmission before, but should mine fail then i wont hesitate to give it a go. Should i **** it up, then ill pay someone else to do it.

Just my 2p worth, we all have to learn somewhere, and you wont learn a thing getting out the chequebook!

Edit: ps, the last engine i built was a very custom zetec turbo in my old sierra, most things were a one-off but it made 397bhp / 386lbft and had a lot more to go, but i had a boost control issue to sort first, but unfortunately the car was written off before i got chance to get it back on the rollers...

Last edited by Fudgey; 24 April 2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 24 April 2013, 10:03 PM
Adz_0121
Scooby Newbie

I am considering this....EJ20 WRX engine is out the car after spending two hours today will get onto checking sump tommorrow, More of a DIY maself but loved ma cars since i can remember not being able to reach the pedals, Ive rebuilt a few turbos maself and they running sweet till this day however im a lil confused to what it is that is required....if anyone can enlighten me on BOTTOM END REPAIR, pictures and procedure it would make my day
Old 24 April 2013, 11:04 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Ignoring the engineering and technique issues of which there are many, the main problem with your average DIY set up is being able to get the parts clean enough, as in spotless. Above many other engines, Subaru parts have to be really really clean when building.
Old 24 April 2013, 11:12 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I rebuilt a cosworth yb engine and just took my time, I gave the block crank and pistons to a good machine shop, they machined the block and crank and then I assembled it all, but as above cleanliness is very important. I also rebuilt the head but again I stripped it then had all machining done and just reassembled it myself. The satisfaction is good when it all fires up. But a lot depends on your own skill and patience. It's not cheap if you do it wrong. Main thing is get the manual and measure everything carefully and take no shortcuts. I wouldn't hesitate to do a subaru engine myself.
Old 25 April 2013, 08:25 AM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

Nor me. and btw, dishwashers make excellent parts cleaners!

just dont tell the missus - they dont understand lol
Old 25 April 2013, 08:44 AM
Adz_0121
Scooby Newbie

Haha loving the dishwasher tech..Nice one... Btw you refer to a manual for this is that readily available or does anyone have a link to it that would be very greatful
Old 25 April 2013, 11:14 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

+1 for the dishwasher
Old 25 April 2013, 02:59 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the opinions chaps, I'll take all in for consideration. It does sound like the hardest parts are the tricky bits ie gaping and such. Hmm time for a think.