ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   DIY Engine builds...how hard are they? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/972874-diy-engine-builds-how-hard-are-they.html)

Kedlestone 24 April 2013 06:49 PM

DIY Engine builds...how hard are they?

As above, how difficult would it be to do a DIY engine build? I'd be looking to swap out my newage WRX lump with a stronger forged STI block to run a safe 400 with the flexibility to take it to 450 in the future. I want to build it myself as a process of learning and the satisfaction of a DIY build of course.

I have access to garage ramps and bodies to help so no issues there. Is it also worth it financially or would I be safer putting it in more experienced hands when weighing up costs?

Cheers chaps:thumb:

chasey 24 April 2013 07:04 PM

If your asking this question then I would advise not to attempt it, or find someone who knows what they are doing and learn off them.

wms-racing 24 April 2013 07:11 PM

Just phone me and ill build you one ;-)

wagonwill 24 April 2013 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by wms-racing (Post 11069201)
Just phone me and ill build you one ;-)

New Sti short engine fully forged can be bought off this guy at good prices seen his ads on ebay :thumb:

markyboywrx 24 April 2013 08:06 PM

pm me a price please?..... forged looking for 350 bhp and a strong stong engine......

chopperman 24 April 2013 08:15 PM

Pulling it apart is easy, putting it together again is harder but the real tricky part is sizing pistons, rings to bores , checking bearing clearances, where to put assemble past ect. If you do a diy i suggest you at least get an engine builder or decent engineering shop to do this part.

scoobaru mad 24 April 2013 08:19 PM

There's no such thing as a "cheap" engine rebuild. Rings, head bolts, gaskets, belts, bearings etc etc. plus the builders labour/profit.

Prices may be good compared to others, but no. Rebuilds are anything but cheap lol.

Good on you for wanting to give it go bud. But I'd go the expensive route an get a reputable tuner to build it.

Fudgey 24 April 2013 08:48 PM

Ive rebuilt several engines, although not a a boxxer lump but inline 4's.
I did get an engine machine shop to bore and hone the block, polish the crank and supply heavy duty bearings tho.

But the actual assembly i undertook.

So long as you are meticulously clean and as said oil the bearings etc as you fit them then its not really that difficult.

Gapping the rings and actually fitting the piston/rod/ring assembly can be a bit tricky but that is the hardest part imo.

If your running the standard cams then dialing them in is not necessary as there are timing marks on the belt.

There is info out there on torque settings etc

And as you said, its the best way to learn!
There really isnt that much to engine.

Now, i have never rebuild a transmission before, but should mine fail then i wont hesitate to give it a go. Should i cock it up, then ill pay someone else to do it.

Just my 2p worth, we all have to learn somewhere, and you wont learn a thing getting out the chequebook!

Edit: ps, the last engine i built was a very custom zetec turbo in my old sierra, most things were a one-off but it made 397bhp / 386lbft and had a lot more to go, but i had a boost control issue to sort first, but unfortunately the car was written off before i got chance to get it back on the rollers...

Adz_0121 24 April 2013 10:03 PM

I am considering this....EJ20 WRX engine is out the car after spending two hours today will get onto checking sump tommorrow, More of a DIY maself but loved ma cars since i can remember not being able to reach the pedals, Ive rebuilt a few turbos maself and they running sweet till this day however im a lil confused to what it is that is required....if anyone can enlighten me on BOTTOM END REPAIR, pictures and procedure it would make my day :)

Alan Jeffery 24 April 2013 11:04 PM

Ignoring the engineering and technique issues of which there are many, the main problem with your average DIY set up is being able to get the parts clean enough, as in spotless. Above many other engines, Subaru parts have to be really really clean when building.

daz1968 24 April 2013 11:12 PM

I rebuilt a cosworth yb engine and just took my time, I gave the block crank and pistons to a good machine shop, they machined the block and crank and then I assembled it all, but as above cleanliness is very important. I also rebuilt the head but again I stripped it then had all machining done and just reassembled it myself. The satisfaction is good when it all fires up. But a lot depends on your own skill and patience. It's not cheap if you do it wrong. Main thing is get the manual and measure everything carefully and take no shortcuts. I wouldn't hesitate to do a subaru engine myself.

Fudgey 25 April 2013 08:25 AM

Nor me. and btw, dishwashers make excellent parts cleaners!

just dont tell the missus - they dont understand lol

Adz_0121 25 April 2013 08:44 AM

Haha loving the dishwasher tech..Nice one... Btw you refer to a manual for this is that readily available or does anyone have a link to it that would be very greatful

Infected by sti 25 April 2013 11:14 AM

+1 for the dishwasher ;)

Kedlestone 25 April 2013 02:59 PM

Thanks for the opinions chaps, I'll take all in for consideration. It does sound like the hardest parts are the tricky bits ie gaping and such. Hmm time for a think.