Notices

Calling all past and present scooby owners flat battery cure ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2013, 07:50 PM
submentalbass
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all past and present scooby owners flat battery cure ?

Hey all new here.

I've also got same problem, damn flat batteries! I have a 2004 WRX STi Type UK.

It all started three months after bought the car. It was a cold November night, I went to use it and click click click damn flat battery.

I locked it up and checked all out next day. I am in the motor trade myself (mechanic) who cant fix his own bloody car!

I got a new AC Delco battery from a local dealer, started the car up with a volt meter across terminals - bang on the button 14.4 volts. Lovely, job done. I let it idle for a minute then slowly but surely the alternator stopped charging back down to 12 volts. WTF?

I assumed the alternator was up the pictures so ordered a new one and bolted it on that night. I turned the key, measured the voltage and then 'oh great its stopped charging', then turned the lights on and 'oh wow', now its charging. Then I finally learn about smart charge after talking to Subaru UK.

Oh great all I have got to do is drive with the fan on or side lights JOB DONE. I think not!

Three months later flat battery, cell indicator clear. Order replacement, 3 months later another flat battery, so now I'm looking into another battery, get it changed once again and guess what, it's gone flat yet again.

Now on my last tether, I start looking at battery drain when I find there is 150MA draw from battery from some thing. I start pulling fuses SBF No 5 alarm and Immobilizer. Oh great, must have a battery drain but unable to work out why it is.

I start browsing Google and find an Evo forum saying 180MA drain from tracker ? So investigate further, phone RAC Trackstar and get told it won't be the tracker. Phone Subaru UK and ask is the tracker linked in to the Immobilizer system, and get told yes it is.

Back to RAC Trackstar and get to speak to a technical guy there who informs me that it takes six hours to shut down. Also the tracker has a mobile sim card in so you can call it to see if it's in sleep mode. Call wont be able to connect when asleep and when awake it makes all kinds if noises like a dial up modem, so try it leave six hours.

Call it, it's all shut down. Unlock, connect ammeter and drain is only now 30-40 MA. Okay, so it's going to sleep. Okay, let's get a bigger better battery. Banner 60 AH designed for Asian car market that's the kiddo. Still not sure, I call out my auto electrician to confirm everything, leave the car sitting for three days with ammeter in the window and does not move from 20 MA.

He cant find anything, so now being paranoid bought a C-Tek, use the car at least 3 times a week and charge every 2-3 months overnight until around 7 months later, left one weekend for 3 nights and click click click. Battery tester out, cell short circuit WTF is going on?

Yet another battery under warranty. This time before bolt to car fully charge it with C-Tek and been 2 months OK with use at least 3-4 times a week.

Some one out there must have the answer. RAC Trackstar did do a one hour shut down. Board now unavailable, they want £299 to supply and fit a new unit which I do not mind paying if it works and stops this flat battery saga.

I love the car apart from being paranoid about flat battery issues. This thread has come up and some one must know the answer. I am 80% sure it's the tracker causing these issues. I have also purchased an in-car voltmeter to measure voltage when driving, LED type, and never stops charging unless sitting at idle with lights on, heater on full, rear screen de-mist on, or air con, but with a little rev, perfect 14 volts.

The alternator can supply the car its needs, I was also informed, from the moment you put the key in the ignition the tracker is awake. When you remove the key from ignition it starts its 6 hour draw on a nice charged battery and draws how many volts or amps in total I am not sure, but I feel that's whats killing our Scoobys' batteries and sucking them dry but would love for some one to come forward and say the tracker is the culprit !

By the way, I'm hopefully going to speak to a Subaru technician tomorrow and get his input. PS, our cars do not like AC Delco batteries

Last edited by submentalbass; 23 April 2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 23 April 2013, 07:58 PM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

holy wall of text batman
Old 23 April 2013, 08:02 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phew! Couldn't quite make it all the way through your post so I'll just say that the Trackstar not going into 'sleep' mode was a well known problem on those cars. My 03 STi had that problem but I got a replacement unit just before the warranty ran out but not after the dealer had replaced the battery as they were unaware of the true problem at the time.
Is the Trackstar still active? If not, rip the damn thing out?
Why would a Subaru not like a particular make of battery?

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 23 April 2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 23 April 2013, 08:51 PM
submentalbass
Scooby Newbie

yea sorry peeps for the long post tracker still active as peace of mind due to theifing toerags and ac delco batteries went through 3 of them in the space of 9 months either a whole dodgy batch or just plain and simple was not using it enough and going flat my tracker is going into sleep mode test it by calling it may just be extremely un lucky !
Old 23 April 2013, 09:01 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

******* hell! They've got to be the world's longest ever sentences, have you never heard of punctuation?. So connect a Ctek battery conditioner every time you park at home mate and you won't need to post again
Old 23 April 2013, 09:06 PM
Scooby Jo
Scooby Regular

Could be a dodgy tracker unit. I ended up with a dud battery which Tracker Uk claimed was responsible for setting off the tracking unit several times a day. I actually had to ask them to switch it off a couple of times so I could get some sleep

I replaced the battery with a decent one, it still continued so they replaced the tracking unit Switch provider if Trackstar are wanting £300, there are deals out there, it may be cheaper to switch than pay up
Old 26 April 2013, 02:12 PM
submentalbass
Scooby Newbie

So replacing the tracker worked for you Scooby jo and john d spoke to kinghams Subaru who also said replace the unit think I may have to bite the bullet as got life time subscription. As for Paben what ever !!! may be its not possible to constantly plug in the c tek think about that one !!!
Old 26 April 2013, 02:34 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by submentalbass
So replacing the tracker worked for you Scooby jo and john d spoke to kinghams Subaru who also said replace the unit think I may have to bite the bullet as got life time subscription. As for Paben what ever !!! may be its not possible to constantly plug in the c tek think about that one !!!
I used a 'smart' charger during the problem time and although it saved the battery many times, was not the real answer. I'm surprised it's gone this long without being replaced by previous owner!

JohnD
Old 26 April 2013, 03:16 PM
submentalbass
Scooby Newbie

john d after you got the tracker replaced did it seem better with out smart charger really just want to book it in have it changed but its £300 squids lol. My last battery lasted 7 months plugging it in every 2 months over night to fully charge and still ended up with nakerd battery short cell
Old 26 April 2013, 09:44 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by submentalbass
john d after you got the tracker replaced did it seem better with out smart charger really just want to book it in have it changed but its £300 squids lol. My last battery lasted 7 months plugging it in every 2 months over night to fully charge and still ended up with nakerd battery short cell
All was well after the new unit.
As I don't use the car an awful lot, I still occasionally put the charger on to freshen the battery but it takes no more time to reach full charge than it does on the wifes Mazda3!

JohnD
Old 26 April 2013, 10:50 PM
submentalbass
Scooby Newbie

Thats just what i wanted to hear going to phone rac trackstar and get them to stick new tracker in been racking my brains for ages now and been informed the unit going in will shut down in half an hour thanks john d made my night
Old 26 April 2013, 10:54 PM
submentalbass
Scooby Newbie

Ps ill report back once all fitted and give updates for all to view about battery issues just hope my 2 month battery has not sufferd to much may have to go and burn some v power ;-)
Old 28 April 2013, 11:21 PM
Scooby Jo
Scooby Regular

Hope you get it sorted, mine's my daily drive so never needed to charge the battery and the unit works great
Old 30 May 2013, 06:44 PM
submentalbass
Scooby Newbie

Hey all just a update new tracker fitted and shuts down in 25 mins. Drawing a current of 70 Millie amps in awake state and 20 Millie amps in sleep state. I have also ditched the banner battery which when fully charged was only reaching 75 percent of its capacity now got a Bosch S4 and fully charged its at 95 percent so fingers crossed for a few months and see how it goes
Old 30 May 2013, 07:48 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Had the same Problem with mine, new trackstar fitted and new battery, still goes flat after about 10 days, feel like ripping the tracker out and chucking it away lol
Old 30 May 2013, 10:09 PM
Bad_HatHarry
Scooby Regular

Mine turned out to be my turbo timer, ripped it out in the end, and its been fine.

Mines a classic though, but you would,nt think a little led would drain it so quick.
Old 31 May 2013, 10:03 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

my blob had the same problem, every time i came to drive it after a couple of weeks the battery was flat. I fitted a battery disconnect switch in the end, and that solved the problem.