Notices

Stone Chip City!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2002, 01:28 AM
DaveUK300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Gave my car the full-on salon treatment today....wash, wax, polish etc., and was amazed at the amount of stone chips and dings on the front of the car...some parts look like they have been shot blasted!

Most of the roads I drive on are pretty decent so its not like i'm on a rally track everyday and I'm not one for driving up close to everybody infront so i'm a bit confused....Is this a common problem with scoobs (WR Blue MY01 variety)? cos it looks like i may have to respray my bonnet and front bumper soon....should i approach my dealer?

TTFN
Dave
(off to bed now as its far too late to still be playing on the pc!!)
Old 17 May 2002, 10:12 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

it's a problem with all scoob paintwork I think, my example looks pretty poor at the front end as well, DBM so it shows up quite well!

Old 17 May 2002, 12:22 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Dave,
My WR Blue MY01 has quite a few stone chips on the bonnet and also some down the sides on the doors etc.I spoke to my dealer to see if I could wangle it on the warranty and was told that stone chips aren't covered which I knew anyway (Although it was worth a try!)
I have to say that I'm not impressed with the paint quality on these cars! (My last car,an eight year old BMW coupe had better paintwork and less stonechips!!!!)

Cheers

Nick
Old 17 May 2002, 12:44 PM
carpet
Scooby Regular

my UK300 looks the same mate !!! not happy, need to get touch up paint me thinks
Old 17 May 2002, 04:09 PM
dicky ticker
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

i have a DBM. gave it a good clean yesterday and noticed that the front end has more chips than harry ramsdens.
Old 17 May 2002, 04:38 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

I have been pushing and pushing my dealer

Even with the promise of an Sti order in 6 months he wouldn't budge

So Iv'e just got it back from a body shop with a bill for £350 but it looks great again

I am now considering Armourfend Group BUY

Phil
Old 17 May 2002, 08:29 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

I think the secret here may be with regular waxing to keep the paint supple. If the paint is hardened/oxideised it is brittle and will chip easily. Put it this way, I picked up 2 nasty chips in the first 500 miles before I had given the car 4/5 coats of wax. It may be a coincidence (or good luck), but touch wood, I haven't had any since and I have now done over 2,500 miles
Old 17 May 2002, 09:32 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Had six Imprezas between us, no stone chips to speak of on any of them.

And no, waxing doesn't make the slightest bit of difference i'm afraid.
Old 17 May 2002, 09:48 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Cool

I just had my bumper resprayed as part of an accident repair - unfortunately they also did the whole bonnet! As it was scratched up on the fron just above the badge - some kind soul went straight across the front of me on a roundabout.

Bye bye to all those chips and believe you me there were plently of them (MY99).

T.

Old 18 May 2002, 11:10 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've just got my car back from the paint shop following the second bonnet and front wing respray. When I got the car from new, some ******* keyed it within a month I left it for a few weeks, and by then it was covered in stone chips.

Had it painted around a year ago, and within weeks, had the usual stone chips and dinks in the bonnet bumper and front wings. Around three month ago after cleaning it I was amazed again, at all the stone chips and rust in the bonnet . Had a look around the car, and the paint work was terrible!!! Had the whole car painted again, minus the roof and once again it looks lovely

I've never had a car with such crap paintwork (mostly Fords before) but hopefully now it's been painted it might be the end of it!!

Cheers Phill C