Notices

Gear gaiter and surround solutions for 6 speed in a classic?

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2012, 03:27 AM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear gaiter and surround solutions for 6 speed in a classic?

Hi guys, have been trawling the net trying to find a way of making the 6 speed gear *** with captive reverse look o.e fit in a classic. Best I have come up with so far is to fit an early newage centre console and heater controls etc.. Don't mind doing that but the conversion I have seen was in a facelift classic, mines a pre facelift so not sure if it will work?
Has anyone got any other suggestions?
Cheers
Old 23 September 2012, 11:23 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine uses the standard facelift classic plastic parts, with a cheap red leather gaitor, (bought from a local carshop).

I removed the old gaitor and the plastic "welded" bits that held it in place. I then unpicked the stiching on the leather one, and bored holes in it at the correct places.

Once it was in place, I fixed it by slipping bits of 2mm styrene sheet, drilled appropriately, over the fixing pegs and "welding" with a solvent I use for models.

The neck of the gaitor fastens with a single press-stud and JUST goes over the lower part of the lifting mech.
The rest of the gaitor fastening is velcro. None of the fixings are visible when in place.

The whole job cost me under £10.
Old 23 September 2012, 12:45 PM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Cheers Alcazar, so I just need to find a leather subaru gaiter suitable for lift up reverse then get busy with the craft knife and superglue and sandwich the new gaiter over the pegs. I hadn't thought about re-using the pegs, cheers buddy
Old 23 September 2012, 01:11 PM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Also I take it I will need to fit a facelift centre console as I have the big chunky rubber style gaiter at the moment. Does anyone know if the facelift console it compatible with the early dash? I believe the facelift also has mirror controls mounted in the console so would need to blank them off I suppose?
Old 23 September 2012, 01:33 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

I just used my original gator. I dismantled the mechanism & rebuilt it with my original gator. Bit fidley but didn't take too long & looks OK.
Old 23 September 2012, 03:56 PM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
I just used my original gator. I dismantled the mechanism & rebuilt it with my original gator. Bit fidley but didn't take too long & looks OK.
Cheers for that Rich, do you find the gear lever is alot longer than the original 5 speed one?
Old 23 September 2012, 04:07 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wotagr8bigchief
Cheers for that Rich, do you find the gear lever is alot longer than the original 5 speed one?
I think it is slightly longer but you don't notice it when driving. I think on mine it looks longer than it is as there is more lever above the gator than on the original set up.
Old 23 September 2012, 05:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

No need for the facelift console, mine looked like that when I had it 98 UK car.

Also, mine was NOT made for a lift reverse, but it fits.
Old 22 December 2017, 09:33 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Old thread I know but I'm in the middle of a 6 speed conversion and would like to know a good looking solution. The old 5 speed leather boot didn't fit too well with the 6 speed shifter and actually got ripped apart. Would it work buying an aftermarket 6 speed shifter boot and then gluing the lower part to the classic boot surround?

Something like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-STITCH-...RYOBLv&vxp=mtr

Are they just snapped around the 6 speed shifter with that button? Didn't get the 6 speed boot with my gearbox so I don't know how they are supposed to sit.
Old 23 December 2017, 12:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Mine was press-stud fit at the top, and it's TIGHT.

At the bottom I unpicked the stiching around the base to extend it, removed the old one and pierced the new in the right places, then plastic-welded bits of styrene sheet over it to hold it.

It was a generic one from Wilco Motosave and still looks good.
Old 24 December 2017, 05:27 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used those jf customs versions on both my wrx wagon and my legacy. They are very good, thick leather and a big improvement on standard.
The I've found that the original gaiters are glued in place, so I've always peeled off the old one and then stuck the new down. If nothing else it keeps it in place when you're getting it back together.
Old 24 December 2017, 08:00 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Sounds good, they're cheap enough to buy and try at least.

I'm curious about the different OEM gaiters, I know it's a different part for the facelift interior which of course has to do with the the different base/surround but they also appear to be different at the top.

Early gaiter https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/par...var=0&dc=&gen=

Facelift version https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/par...y=&searchPart=

The early one has the button to fasten it but the updated part doesn't seem to have it? So the question is if j-f-customs have different versions for pre 2005 and after.

The holder for the gaiter is a different part number for the later cars but I have ordered a Perrin reverse lockout as the one I got with the box was rattling and the silver color was partly worn off but I'm not sure if that works with both kind of gaiters.
http://www.scoobymods.com/attachment...6&d=1088393273

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...ut-lever-black

I have only been in a newage STI many years ago so I have no idea what they look like inside and their differences

Last edited by Turbovin; 24 December 2017 at 08:05 PM.