Loses power and engine juders

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2012, 03:55 AM
WAZ WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Loses power and engine juders

Hi guys,

I have a friend who has a turbo 2000 which as far as im aware is practically standard except for a nurspec full 3 inch stainless steel system, and an hks induction kit with a purple label maf sensor and a hks ssq bov. Whilst hes driving after a full throttle around 3k revs the engine starts to shake and juder and loses all power and eventually cuts out.

This has only started happening over the last few days, not to mention this person has had his car 4 aprox 6 months and hasnt serviced the car! Which i know that should be 1 of the first things on his list, but surely the car shouldnt judder, lose power and eventually cut out? Also this doesnt happen all the time either.

My guess is something to do with the coil pack or possibly the maf sensor but i just thought id ask you guys for what my fellow scooby mates may think it could possibly be.

All help and advice would be appreciated, thank you

Waz

Last edited by WAZ WRX; 29 July 2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 29 July 2012, 10:26 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Most obvious question - is the car mapped for these modifications?
If not, get it mapped; TBH the HKS induction kit will be doing nothing for the car if it doesn't have a separate cold air feed and is mapped in as it'll be sucking in hot air.
I bought one for my old car when I first got it and knew nothing about Scoobs - needless to say, a month later I took it off and sold it and the car ran better.
I'd say the only mod worth making in that list was the Nur Spec, but you say it's a "full system" - do you mean just cat back, or do you mean it's mated to a decat centre, and decat downpipe? Again, it's worth getting it mapped if it's not just a cat back system.

Lastly - I've seen people in the past at my local Rolling Road complaining about similar issues and all were running the same HKS blow off valve, which led to idle problems or stalling. Solution is take it off and put the standard recirc valve back on. I've seen a bugeye, hawkeye and classic all with the same symptoms and all reported by going back to the standard valve the car ran far better.

If the car's not mapped for it it'll completely screw the airflow monitoring.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 29 July 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 29 July 2012, 12:27 PM
WAZ WRX
Scooby Regular

Hi and thank u for the reply. No the car is not mapped, and the car has a decated down pipe and centre section. Before the hks there was a baileys bov on it. As for the induction kit that was an ebay job.
Can i ask where is your rolling road as i also have a T2000 and would like to have it rolling roaded atm to see how much power mine is pushing but then also a remap. What are your charges 4 both? Im based in manchester, once again thank you 4 the reply.
Old 29 July 2012, 04:13 PM
WAZ WRX
Scooby Regular

Ok weve changed the hks back to the baileys bov, and it still seems to be doing the same thing!
It cuts out when it feels like it. We were at some lights eveything seems fine, we were on a hill as we went to set off it cut out, tried to giv it extra accelleration and again it cut out. Like i said earlier he had a purple label maf, could this be the possible cause? Or anybody else have any other ideas
Old 29 July 2012, 04:20 PM
DEATHLYREAPER
Scooby Regular

Get it mapped for the mods !
Old 30 July 2012, 08:29 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Like the man said above it needs mapping.
These cars are not Saxos and you can't just stick stuff on and hope for the best, ESPECIALLY when it comes to airflow if unless you enjoy your car running lean.

You've changed to another dump valve. The OEM valve is a recirc valve and that's what you should fit.
The HKS air filter will be retarding your power and if you're running the wrong MAF I shudder to think how much damage your mate is potentially doing trying to run it with the wrong MAF for the car (assuming he's swapped it for no reason for one off a different car?).

Rolling road depends where you're based. I don't own one, I'm just a regular customer at my local one
Old 20 August 2012, 10:45 PM
WAZ WRX
Scooby Regular

Thanx for the info bugeye scoob,

Just thought id up date that the problem was with the boost solenoid pipes which were cleaned via a thread from the scoobypedia forum and the car no longer judders and runs nice and smooth.
Old 21 August 2012, 08:47 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Ah the old brake cleaner into the solenoid fix eh?
Btw I would still recommend you get the car mapped for the mods above. Happy you solved this one
Old 21 August 2012, 11:59 PM
WAZ WRX
Scooby Regular

the owner is looking to sell the car and more then likely put the standard down pipe and exhaust system on and sell his Nur spec seperately as he's a traitor and seen an evo 4 that he wants to buy! lol each to their own aye! lol