P1 fitted with quick shift?

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2012, 05:52 PM
PPower01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1 fitted with quick shift?

Hi All,

I was having a look at short shifters and found out that Subaru do a OEM short shifter kit.

Now, the dilemma I'm faced with is if the P1 was fitted with a short shift kit as standardseeing as the gear throws are tight as is, or not?
If so, is it worth going for a Subaru OEM quick shift kit or for an aftermarket one such as CDF or GFB etc.

Any information would be useful.

Thanks
Old 03 July 2012, 07:06 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personal choice but they do put more strain and stress on the syncro`s so in reality could shorten the life of the box
Old 03 July 2012, 07:12 PM
muttleyturbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
Personal choice but they do put more strain and stress on the syncro`s so in reality could shorten the life of the box
How does it pure more train on the syncros (not a dig, just genuinely wondering). The only way I can think of it putting more strain on the box is that you are more likely to miss a gear but as long as you're careful I would have thought it wouldn't make any change to the stress the gearbox/syncros are put under?
Old 03 July 2012, 08:19 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

have a look at you gear stick to see if it looks like the one in the link, if so no need to upgrade. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/subaru-imp...item35bde59334
Old 04 July 2012, 02:55 AM
PPower01
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. I'll have a look.
Old 04 July 2012, 11:01 AM
PPower01
Scooby Regular

I called Prodrive who had told me that the P1 did not come with a quick shift, nor do any of the other models (classic - new age.)

Last edited by PPower01; 04 July 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04 July 2012, 11:43 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PPower01
I called Prodrive who had told me that the P1 did not come with a quick shift, nor do any of the other models (classic - new age.)

have you looked at your gear stick?
Old 04 July 2012, 02:35 PM
PPower01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my94wrx
have you looked at your gear stick?
I haven't yet as I'm currently away. I also bought the car completely standard so I would be suprised if it had one.

Is the quick shifter the one you've provided in the link above?

Last edited by PPower01; 04 July 2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04 July 2012, 11:59 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Thats not correct the RB5 was fitted as standard with quickshift as is the RB320.

The shift on the MY99/00 cars (P1) is quite quick as it is, the quick shift is only slightly quicker again i.e. slightly less movement. I like it and have it fitted to my 2006 Sti, (which i got after my RB5) it just gives the car a slightly more special feel. I have the prodrive unit fitted, but i dont think you can get that anymore.

Regarding, synchros etc. i have never had any problems, but i suppose the reasoning is that if you make a very quick change with a quick shift you could beat the synchros and cause damage over time.
Old 05 July 2012, 05:05 AM
PPower01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beastie
Thats not correct the RB5 was fitted as standard with quickshift as is the RB320.

The shift on the MY99/00 cars (P1) is quite quick as it is, the quick shift is only slightly quicker again i.e. slightly less movement. I like it and have it fitted to my 2006 Sti, (which i got after my RB5) it just gives the car a slightly more special feel. I have the prodrive unit fitted, but i dont think you can get that anymore.

Regarding, synchros etc. i have never had any problems, but i suppose the reasoning is that if you make a very quick change with a quick shift you could beat the synchros and cause damage over time.
Thanks for that Beastie.

Subaru still produce the quick shift kit (PN:C1010FA002)

With regards to the synchros, I would not think that there'd be any issue with damaging over time as you're only reducing the throw thus reducing the time taking the synchros to engage... So I can't see what mechanical issue there'd be.
If Subaru use it on the track, then I would have expected them to have gone through vigorous tests to approve and sell it to the general public.
I could be wrong though.
Old 05 July 2012, 05:35 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Thanks for that Beastie.

Subaru still produce the quick shift kit (PN:C1010FA002)

With regards to the synchros, I would not think that there'd be any issue with damaging over time as you're only reducing the throw thus reducing the time taking the synchros to engage... So I can't see what mechanical issue there'd be.
If Subaru use it on the track, then I would have expected them to have gone through vigorous tests to approve and sell it to the general public.
I could be wrong though.
I would say you need to be an absolute animal with your gear changes, before you could damage anything. It could be just an urban subaru myth, as i said the actual difference is not much, but enough for you to know its special. A very small movement of your hand is enough to change gear, and if your giving it some, you tend to keep one hand on the gearshift most of the time.

The P1 throw is already quite short.
Old 05 July 2012, 07:25 AM
PPower01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beastie
I would say you need to be an absolute animal with your gear changes, before you could damage anything. It could be just an urban subaru myth, as i said the actual difference is not much, but enough for you to know its special. A very small movement of your hand is enough to change gear, and if your giving it some, you tend to keep one hand on the gearshift most of the time.

The P1 throw is already quite short.
You're right there with the shift being short on the P1 already. Guess I'll have to try out the quick shift!