Notices

CONFUSED.COM (and not the website!)

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2012, 07:55 PM
MK1ITS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up CONFUSED.COM (and not the website!)

Hello all

Firstly apologies for not updating my engine rebuild thread; to cut a very long story short I couldn't get the camshafts bolts off so took it to Carnetix in Melton and they assisted, having to actually drill the bolts out.

I then came across an engine builder (Ashley Wilks from Wilks Engines in Shipley) who offered to do the full rebuild for £1300ish including fitting the engine. The work was completed about 3 weeks ago, great service and great bloke, and then a few weeks ago during the run-in period, the engine sounded very rough on start-up, almost as if there wasn't any oil in it (for the record the rebuild was standard parts without a replacement modine after a big end high speed failure). This noise disappeared after a minute and all was well for another week (Monday just gone) and it started again at 550miles just on start-up, again disappearing after a miles drive.....

The oil and filter was changed on Wednesday this week and although I haven't heard the 'rattling' sound since, a diagnostic today at Carnetix by Greg confirms that there is definately a sound coming from deep within the engine, however the engine has to be stripped once more to ascertain the cause.

Frustrating but Ashley has been very helpful in that the car will go back in next week for the repair to take place, whilst I stay over in a B&B within the area until the work is complete.

Anyway, the main point to this thread is that moving forward, we will now be fitting a new modine (not sure if this caused the issue - for the record, it was a new oil pump).

I also have a oil temp gauge, boost gauge and oil pressure gauge brand new in box sat at home and feel as though it would be wise to fit them.

The car is running standard apart from an exhaust from ScoobyClinic and I'm happy to keep it that way.

What parts do I need to fit these gauges to the car and can anyone show me a link to the parts that I need? They are the Apexi EL2 series gauges.

And before I buy a modine, is there any benefit to fitting a standard modine against a row oil cooler? If anyone has any pics of an oil cooler and an oil modine in situ that'd be awesome.

Thanks as ever for all your help guys....seems like this subscription to this club was worth every penny.....

Old 15 June 2012, 02:28 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Did the big ends go originally. If yes do it right or do it twice, using old modine is a big no no, I hope you're not going to say the crank as been reground.
Use well known subaru experts such as api.
Old 15 June 2012, 08:03 AM
MK1ITS
Scooby Regular

Yes mate, let go at high speed.

I'll pass the info on about the changing the modine and that what Ashley is going to do on every Subaru rebuild he does going forward. Carnetix in Melton dont change the modine though, they just clean it out. I might call round ScoobyClinic etc today and see who does what.

Regardless, another modine is on the cards.
Old 15 June 2012, 09:23 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We clean them too!, there is nothing in there for oil or debris to get trapped. It is a simple coil of tube that the oil goes through inside a water jacket. Similar to a central heating tank at home. Doubtful whether the oil is cooled by the water, or the oil heats up the water..................

We run our hot organic cleaner through them for hours, it ticks away all day. AND with modine's costing over £200 + VAT these days it is a significant saving. [ A proper Mocal oil cooler kit from us is only £280 + VAT.

I hope your warranty repair is a simple enough thing, it needs doing properly and you might be in that B & B for a few days.

Good Luck, David APi
Old 15 June 2012, 01:39 PM
MK1ITS
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info David.

The information on this website is very 50/50 at times. Some people swear by changing the modine, others dont.

I'm going to spend the money and change it so it's ruled out 100%.......unless a new unit can have debris? lol
Old 28 June 2012, 05:06 PM
Telephonewire
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=MK1ITS;10665833]

I then came across an engine builder (Ashley Wilks from Wilks Engines in Shipley) who offered to do the full rebuild for £1300ish including fitting the engine. The work was completed about 3 weeks ago, great service and great bloke, and then a few weeks ago during the run-in period, the engine sounded very rough on start-up, almost as if there wasn't any oil in it (for the record the rebuild was standard parts without a replacement modine after a big end high speed failure). This noise disappeared after a minute and all was well for another week (Monday just gone) and it started again at 550miles just on start-up, again disappearing after a miles drive.....

The oil and filter was changed on Wednesday this week and although I haven't heard the 'rattling' sound since, a diagnostic today at Carnetix by Greg confirms that there is definately a sound coming from deep within the engine, however the engine has to be stripped once more to ascertain the cause.

Frustrating but Ashley has been very helpful in that the car will go back in next week for the repair to take place, whilst I stay over in a B&B within the area until the work is complete.

How did you get on with the repair?
Was the noise cause by something that Ashley did not do correctly first time around?
Was there any additional charge for the repair?
How has the car been going since?
I am looking for a good quality / reputable engine builder and this guy sounds like he may have the right qualities?

Regards, Telephonewire
Old 02 July 2012, 10:12 PM
gazzas scooby
Scooby Regular

How did you get on with the repair?
Was the noise cause by something that Ashley did not do correctly first time around?
Was there any additional charge for the repair?
How has the car been going since?
I am looking for a good quality / reputable engine builder and this guy sounds like he may have the right qualities?
Old 28 September 2012, 05:41 PM
wimpa
Scooby Regular

Yes any updates ?
Old 01 October 2012, 12:16 PM
MK1ITS
Scooby Regular

Well the car went back to Ashley who advised that I'd spun a bearing. His thought was that I'd drove the car a little too hard and been impatient but this truly wasn't the case. The discussion was left there as I like Ashley and did ask him to be honest with me if he'd made a mistake, but regardless, he repaired the car. I had to buy a new modeine and get the car back to him and collect so quite some costs on my side and his.

The car has done 2000miles on the 3rd engine and all seems OK.
Old 01 October 2012, 01:23 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear its finally sorted!