Mileage On Classic UK Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2012, 10:57 PM
Kosta
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mileage On Classic UK Turbo

Hi all,

New to this Subaru stuff having been an Evo owners for 4 years. Sold that in February and decided I needed a cheap, fun, practical car for my 2 Border Collies to travel in.

Next week i'm hoping to be picking up a 1999 Classic UK Turbo Wagon

The car has a full service history with lots of bills, and is in very condition. The only niggle is it has done 139k.

What sort of mileage do these engines go to before getting serious problems? The car is standard apart from a decat and STI back box.

Also, is it sensible to modify an engine of this mileage? I was just thinking along the lines of air filter, fuel pump, possibly a VF30 and a remap.
Old 17 May 2012, 11:12 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

Hello,

Personally, it would have to be really well priced to get me to buy it at 139k. The full service history is a must which is good to see it has, but again personally, I would like to see it has been rebuilt at some point.

Evo engines are stronger than scooby engines, vice versa on gearboxes.

Not sure about what modding it would do but if you are going to plow a few hundred extra quid into it with your mods I would use it to find a lower milage example...

But you never know for sure like with any car. Sorry thats not really helpfull I know!

Rob
Old 17 May 2012, 11:23 PM
Kosta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by type-rob
Hello,

Personally, it would have to be really well priced to get me to buy it at 139k. The full service history is a must which is good to see it has, but again personally, I would like to see it has been rebuilt at some point.

Evo engines are stronger than scooby engines, vice versa on gearboxes.

Not sure about what modding it would do but if you are going to plow a few hundred extra quid into it with your mods I would use it to find a lower milage example...

But you never know for sure like with any car. Sorry thats not really helpfull I know!

Rob
It is good money . For what it's costing me i'm going to run it and see how I get on with it. There are lots of big mileage examples for sale on Auto Trader and Pistonheads etc, so I assumed that they must be ok if looked after.

At the end of the day if it breaks, it goes in the bin
Old 17 May 2012, 11:38 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kosta
It is good money . For what it's costing me i'm going to run it and see how I get on with it. There are lots of big mileage examples for sale on Auto Trader and Pistonheads etc, so I assumed that they must be ok if looked after.

At the end of the day if it breaks, it goes in the bin
My 1st impreza was a 99uk turbo wagon with Fsh & totally bog std,and had 129k when i bought it.After i had added all my mods it made 316bhp , and was showing 133k and ran faultless. Wrote it off due to a rear tyre blow out,no drama as I went out and bought a MY00 turbo wagon in the same colour 9 days later.

Last edited by midnight; 17 May 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 18 May 2012, 10:28 AM
BlueBridge Subaru
Former Sponsor

Location: 85-87 Station Road, Queensferry, Flintshire CH5 2TB

My classic turbo 2000 at 175k not been rebuilt , bit of piston slap from cold now , but still drives great .
Old 22 May 2012, 12:47 AM
Kosta
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your input guys.

Is it worth adding anything like a boost controller, and gauges, to keep an eye on things?
Old 22 May 2012, 07:17 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kosta
Thanks for your input guys.

Is it worth adding anything like a boost controller, and gauges, to keep an eye on things?
No need for a boost controller imho but at the very least you should fit a boost gauge so you can keep an eye on how your turbo is running.
Old 23 May 2012, 11:23 PM
Punk3rs
Scooby Newbie

My classic wagon UK is on 146k miles and still drives well (mostly), had FSH when I bought also, I get the same slap as BBSubaru mentioned but when warm it goes away so I'd suggest listening to the car run from cold, there was a few issues when I bought it to do with age/mileage but no expensive parts yet. I've done vac hoses, leads plugs, and the MAF was full of crap so need some cleaning spray. Would also check the service history for cam belt change I would expect it to need one soon if it was last changed around the 100k mark

Last edited by Punk3rs; 23 May 2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 24 May 2012, 08:51 AM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

I stand corrected gents!
Old 24 May 2012, 11:14 AM
RICK...
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chances are if it's still running fine at that mileage then you shouldnt have any problems in the short term. You can find examples with about 80-90k on that have knackered engines because they havent been looked after and serviced regulary.