Notices

The first of many questions

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2012, 04:22 PM
simonsaunders
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The first of many questions

For various reasons I need an estate car that can cope with the odd trackday. Considering a blob-eye WRX wagon.

Read lots about baffled sumps, deeper sumps, etc. but what isn't clear is when to upgrade? Will a PPP WRX be alright on something like R888s or is that pushing it? Obviously have a little kitty to make it track-ready, so just need to spend it wisely. No point in rocking up with tweaked suspension if I run a bearing first time out.

Coming from a Caterham, I brake late, carry corner speed and would expect to be lapping as fast as the old girl will let me from day 1.
Old 08 May 2012, 04:34 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

A scoob will feel like a massive let down on a trackday if your normal weapon is a Caterham. Personally if I was using one as a everyday car I wouldn't take it out on track, too much to break and expensive to put right when it does.

Fit a towbar to the wagon, get a trailer, and use it to tow your Caterham to the track
Old 08 May 2012, 05:12 PM
simonsaunders
Scooby Newbie

A common suggestion!

But there is some logic to it... Lots of really cool things are happening for me and I need to go down to just 1 vehicle for a bit. Has to be a 5 door hatch / estate and needs to man up and do the odd TD.

Thought about RenaultSports, but getting into cars in the mid-90s left me with a simmering desire for a warbling Subaru so this seems like a good chance to scratch that itch.

So, back to the baffled sump... When will I need one, if at all?

What else am I likely to break?

Already have plans to go braided hoses, master cylinder brace, proper fluid, proper pads and maybe some ducting. Just need the brakes to stay with me... I hate managing brakes on track. Just want them to work.
Old 08 May 2012, 06:35 PM
wiggy1
Scooby Regular

Don't if this helps but I went from an impreza and just bought myself an Audi s4, it's quality. As for the sump I remember hearing something to do with twinscroll, as the sump has to be smaller than for a normal turbo set up I think, don't hold me to this though!
Hope this helps wiggy
Old 08 May 2012, 07:56 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

Read lots about baffled sumps, deeper sumps, etc. but what isn't clear is when to upgrade? Will a PPP WRX be alright on something like R888s or is that pushing it? Obviously have a little kitty to make it track-ready, so just need to spend it wisely. No point in rocking up with tweaked suspension if I run a bearing first time out.

If your considering fitting a baffled sump, you may as well do as one of your first mods, rather than wish you had. Personal experience on more than one occasion has proved to me Impreza,s do not agree with high rpm on fast corners. There is many theories on the reasoning, but a baffled sump would certainly rule one of them out.
Just make sure it is a proper made one by someone who knows the boxer engine, i've seen quite a few that are half hearted attempts, and simply won't work.
A brake upgrade will be high on the agenda as well, the standard 4 pots fade shockingly fast on track. Even if it's just a big disk kit off godspeed or the likes, the difference is huge. An AP kit or similar is more suited, but it all depends on funds.

Last edited by debbiesonic; 08 May 2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08 May 2012, 08:06 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If buying an Impreza for tracking i would only buy a JDM STI. The UK cars especially WRX's are watered down , we are short changed here in the UK. You will get a much stronger engine and better equipment with a JDM STI, great for track and no need to be worried about the sump. the big difference you'll feel in comparison to a light kit car is the huge amount of tyre wear and and huge amount of fuel you will go through in a scooby.

Andrew

Last edited by apac; 08 May 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08 May 2012, 09:12 PM
simonsaunders
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the input guys. My impression was that new age STI wagons were basically non-existent?

Regarding consumption, all my cars do about 10mpg on track and I got 6 TDs out of £400 worth of tyres on the Cat. Don't suppose that an Impreza is much worse! Funnily enough, tyre consumption was why I asked about the R888s. I can normally get hold of 4 barely legal R888s for £100 so I was going to stick these on spare rims and run them right down (and drive home on legal road rubber).

I don't want to baffle unless it is basically mandatory. Never see that money back again so it needs to be very highly recommended and the definite solution to the starvation problem. If it is genuinely a problem in the first place.
Old 08 May 2012, 10:20 PM
GORDON GT SERIES 11
Scooby Regular

i think what apac meant was buy a newage sti saloon as the only newage wagon made were bugeyes
Old 08 May 2012, 10:36 PM
simonsaunders
Scooby Newbie

But I need a 5 door hatch / estate! :-)
Old 08 May 2012, 11:21 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

"I don't want to baffle unless it is basically mandatory. Never see that money back again so it needs to be very highly recommended and the definite solution to the starvation problem. If it is genuinely a problem in the first place."

It's certainly not a not a definite solution to engines letting go
You hit the nail on the head though.... Is starvation the problem? Not starting all that again, but finding a low mileage car would be a bonus.
Old 09 May 2012, 07:42 AM
apac
Scooby Regular

You can get classic shaped 'estate' jdm sti's up until 2000. 2001>on sti's cars have stronger revised engines and gold brembo brakes, so they are a much better package. the bestt deals are the bug eye JDM sti's which come in 'estate' shape, better turbo, exhaust manifold, intercooler,brakes, 6 speed box, etc etc .
I get about 9mpg on the track (at a guess) and 18mpg around town off boost, i have R888 tyres which are awesome but are a little under £700 for a new set of 17". Medium compound will get you a number of track days and 6k miles or more. I have non road legal ones too which i swap around with my street use tyres so i get even wear on all. the worst wear is on the front, and especially front near side if there are lots of right turns.
There is no need for a baffled sump imho. Spend the money on some coil overs or an exhaust and engine remap
Andrew
P.s i've owned a UKMy99 turbo and now own a 2003 Blobeye JDM STI Spec C. my brother has owned 4 imprezas.

Off the top of my head on Pistonheads(although not an estate)....... http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3886388.htm

Last edited by apac; 09 May 2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09 May 2012, 07:42 AM
apac
Scooby Regular

double post

Last edited by apac; 09 May 2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: double post