Notices

Blobeye slow to fire up

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2012, 08:12 PM
Gav1n2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blobeye slow to fire up

Been having a problem with my car for the last few weeks that sometimes it turns over for about 5-6 seconds before it fires up. It cranks over fine and at the normal speed and most of the time it fires straight to life. It's usually fine when it's already warm but if left for 7 hours or so sometimes it's slow at firing up. The plugs are only about a month old, I have cleaned up the engine earth and the crank and cam sensors just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar. I'm planning on changing the water temperature sensor next I think.......

Cheers
Gav
Old 13 April 2012, 08:13 PM
Gav1n2003
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add when it's started it runs sweet as a nut!
Old 13 April 2012, 08:16 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Battery doesn't have sufficient oomph to do the biz any more. My mrs battery was the same, it had 14v when running and approx 12v when off but it wasn't supplying enough amps to start.
Old 13 April 2012, 09:03 PM
Gav1n2003
Scooby Regular

Don't think it's the battery as it has 12.9v even after standing for 2 or 3 days and it's only about 3 months old.
Old 13 April 2012, 09:03 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Make sure you let the fuel pump fully prime with the ignition in the on position before cranking
Old 13 April 2012, 09:04 PM
Gav1n2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
Make sure you let the fuel pump fully prime with the ignition in the on position before cranking
Yeah always do that
Old 13 April 2012, 09:15 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gav1n2003
Don't think it's the battery as it has 12.9v even after standing for 2 or 3 days and it's only about 3 months old.
Fair play about the age of it, but you need a more complex battery conditioner on it to see if it is ok, 12.9v means nothing in the bigger picture, ie. starting.
Old 13 April 2012, 09:17 PM
Gav1n2003
Scooby Regular

Yeah I know what you mean, it's not cranking slow at all though.
Old 13 April 2012, 09:29 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Im with myles on this one,just replaced my battery last week as i was getting 13.89 volts wich is fine till got the amps tested,it was 180 amps,then charged all day it still only had 220 amps in it.it still started but not as it should of done as new batterys have around 520 amps starting power.not saying its defo your battery but get it amp tested mate.
Old 14 April 2012, 01:17 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had similar problems on my 03 STi. on and off for years!
It would go through a period of starting fine from cold then throw a strop and refuse to start cleanly. It would fire but not pick up and would splutter before catching. It would do this for a few weeks then revert to starting fine again! Cleaning both cam and crank sensors, new plugs and a new battery were not the answers. It's been doing this through two re-maps with three levels of tune.
Now - here's a strange thing! For the last year, after stopping the engine, I've wedged the throttle open with a thin piece of wood from the pedal to the seat base. I can leave the car for a week or more and after removing the 'stick' it starts on the button! It did cross my mind that I may have had a dribbling injector which allowed the plugs to foul when attempting to start and leaving the throttle open allowed the manifold/head to 'breath' letting any fuel evaporate, but the problem existed before and after an injector change.
You could give it a try - as bizzare as it sounds!

JohnD
Old 14 April 2012, 02:11 PM
Gav1n2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl heath
Im with myles on this one,just replaced my battery last week as i was getting 13.89 volts wich is fine till got the amps tested,it was 180 amps,then charged all day it still only had 220 amps in it.it still started but not as it should of done as new batterys have around 520 amps starting power.not saying its defo your battery but get it amp tested mate.
Had the battery checked today and it was fine would of been a nice easy fix!

Originally Posted by JohnD
I've had similar problems on my 03 STi. on and off for years!
It would go through a period of starting fine from cold then throw a strop and refuse to start cleanly. It would fire but not pick up and would splutter before catching. It would do this for a few weeks then revert to starting fine again! Cleaning both cam and crank sensors, new plugs and a new battery were not the answers. It's been doing this through two re-maps with three levels of tune.
Now - here's a strange thing! For the last year, after stopping the engine, I've wedged the throttle open with a thin piece of wood from the pedal to the seat base. I can leave the car for a week or more and after removing the 'stick' it starts on the button! It did cross my mind that I may have had a dribbling injector which allowed the plugs to foul when attempting to start and leaving the throttle open allowed the manifold/head to 'breath' letting any fuel evaporate, but the problem existed before and after an injector change.
You could give it a try - as bizzare as it sounds!

JohnD
Yeah thanks for the advice mate, I'll give that a try and see what happens. Does sound bizare though lol.

Gav
Old 15 April 2012, 09:21 AM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Have you run any diagnostics on the ecu? Might flag up something on starting? Will be a "chase your tail" for a bit type of issue though as only might flag when issue happens.
Old 15 April 2012, 09:57 AM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

if happy not battery then get a compression test and leak down test done.
Old 15 April 2012, 10:29 AM
Sy5
Scooby Regular

I'm having the same thing with my02 sti. Subaru are having it soon so I'll let you know what they find.
Old 15 April 2012, 03:00 PM
Gav1n2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swisstonihasher
Have you run any diagnostics on the ecu? Might flag up something on starting? Will be a "chase your tail" for a bit type of issue though as only might flag when issue happens.
No mate I have not run any diagnostics on the ECU as I didn't think it would flag anything up as the management lights not coming on? Can I use any obd11 scanner for that? I was looking at getting a scangauge 2 but I read a lot of people said they weren't working on imports........

Originally Posted by LegacySTi
if happy not battery then get a compression test and leak down test done.
I don't think it's the battery but I don't need the car next week so I'm going to take the battery off and leave it on the battery conditioner all week and see what that does. I don't think it's anything to serious though as its been starting fine for the last 3 days.

Originally Posted by Sy5
I'm having the same thing with my02 sti. Subaru are having it soon so I'll let you know what they find.
Ok mate, thanks that would be good. Hope they fix it for you
Old 15 April 2012, 03:23 PM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

check the hoses going to your map sensor, mine was like this when moved to a syvecs ecu and one of the pipes were kinked.
Old 16 April 2012, 02:08 PM
Gav1n2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevep360
check the hoses going to your map sensor, mine was like this when moved to a syvecs ecu and one of the pipes were kinked.
Had a look today and the map sensor on mine is bolted directly to the throttle body so no pipes.

It's been good for 4 days now and im starting to think it could be related to when there was no V Power and I had to fill up with BP Ultimate!
Old 16 April 2012, 03:30 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Had a look today and the map sensor on mine is bolted directly to the throttle body so no pipes.

It's been good for 4 days now and im starting to think it could be related to when there was no V Power and I had to fill up with BP Ultimate!
Sounds like it's behaving like mine used to.
When you're puzzled, you start to consider even rather unlikely reasons! As it's behaving itself at the mo. there's no telling if my rather strange 'stick' cure would have an effect. All I can say is that since employing the trusty stick, it's never failed to start!
If you don't fancy trying the above, try holding the throttle open VERY SLIGHTLY when you crank the engine.

JohnD

PS Pity you're in Sussex as I could have helped you out re- Scangauge
Old 16 April 2012, 03:45 PM
Gav1n2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
Sounds like it's behaving like mine used to.
When you're puzzled, you start to consider even rather unlikely reasons! As it's behaving itself at the mo. there's no telling if my rather strange 'stick' cure would have an effect. All I can say is that since employing the trusty stick, it's never failed to start!
If you don't fancy trying the above, try holding the throttle open VERY SLIGHTLY when you crank the engine.

JohnD

PS Pity you're in Sussex as I could have helped you out re- Scangauge
I will give the 'stick' a try if the problem persists mate dont worry about that lol, I do use it every day though usually so it will be agro doing it every time I use the car. I have been holding the throttle wide open for a few seconds every time I start the car since you mentioned the stick thing anyway so it could be that thats causing the problems. I will have to try starting it normally if the problem doesnt come back again with me doing that each time.

Yeah it is a shame about the scangauge because it looks like a good piece of kit. I have just been on the phone to UKOBD to ask if I buy one and it doesnt work if I can return it and apparently if it doesnt work on my car and it's not because the unit itself is faulty I cant return it as it comes in sealed packaging so they wont give me a refund!
Old 16 April 2012, 11:14 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Yeah it is a shame about the scangauge because it looks like a good piece of kit. I have just been on the phone to UKOBD to ask if I buy one and it doesnt work if I can return it and apparently if it doesnt work on my car and it's not because the unit itself is faulty I cant return it as it comes in sealed packaging so they wont give me a refund!
Yes, it comes in a bubble pack. It's a useful gizmo but not as good as the PSi3 unit I used before. I only replaced it as in cold weather the display sometimes failed or showed gobblegook! I still have the PSi3 to occasionally check the air/fuel ratio as I can't find the code to programme that into the Scangauge.

JohnD
Old 28 July 2012, 08:54 AM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

I just did a search, read this post...

My 05 STI has been slow to start up, runs fine, no bother at all...

Went away for a week and the battery was dead upon return.

So new battery today if i can get to Andrew Page....
Old 28 July 2012, 09:07 AM
Sy5
Scooby Regular

Check and clean engine earths. The 2 on the inlet manifold. This is what caused mine to play up. I did this before Subaru had it and they found no fault and cars been fine ever since.
Old 28 July 2012, 05:35 PM
Gav1n2003
Scooby Regular

Mine turned out to be a bad batch of fuel, I ran the tank down to empty and filled it up with V Power and it's been fine since.
Old 28 July 2012, 06:07 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

How old is your fuel pump, is there a non return valve somewhere in the fuel system?