Notices

Power-FC vs 1000cc sidefeeds - runs like ****.. :(

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2012, 12:32 PM
95Kaira
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power-FC vs 1000cc sidefeeds - runs like ****.. :(

Morning lads. I've got a 1995 WRX import that was running fine on the power-FC ECU. (The MAF version).
I'm in Shetland and hoping to travel to the mainland for mapping once I've got all my bits and pieces together, but I need the car to run so it can be driven there. Bear in mind it costs the bloody earth to get a human and a car from Shetland to Aberdeen...
I put my 1000cc side-feed injectors in yesterday, and carefully followed the FC-FAQ instructions and every post I could find on any forum etc, and adjusted the injector values as I understood it - (old cc/new cc)x100, which I figured was 380/1000 x 100 = 38%. The latency value of the stock 380's as far as I can find is around the 0.6ms mark, and the new ones are 0.75 so I set the correction to +0.16 (because it only goes up in 0.02ms intervals).
it runs like crap, missing on 2 cylinders most of the time, fouling the plugs and smoking like crazy.
I've cleaned the plugs etc but its not helping. I changed each injector one at a time, so there shouldnt be any misplaced plugs etc. I was really careful with o-rings and so on, so it shouldnt be that.
Anybody with some real experience with power-FC's help me out???
Old 31 March 2012, 08:54 PM
95Kaira
Scooby Regular

Please?? :O
Old 01 April 2012, 09:09 AM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Are they phase 1 injectors or phase 2 injectors with a fitting kit. If the seals have not sealed they will be filling the bore with petrol giving you the same effect as your having.
Old 01 April 2012, 09:47 AM
95Kaira
Scooby Regular

Sorry yes I should have mentioned that. They are phase 2 with the fitting kit. I fitted the collars to the injectors before putting them in the rails, but maybe I should have fitted the collars to the rails first... I checked all the seals and they were totally unmarked, so maybe its a fitting issue...
Any tips on getting these things in and out sensibly? They're always a helluva tight... Changed injectors quite a few times in the past and never had problems, but they dont seem to be easy to remove..

Thanks for your reply mate.
Old 01 April 2012, 10:38 AM
95Kaira
Scooby Regular

Should mention that on either side, one plug was pretty black and wet, and the other was totally caked black and dry... Does that indicate anything?? :O
Old 01 April 2012, 11:54 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This might be clutching at straws but worth mentioning...

When you made those changes, you did press the NEXT button to get out of the last parameter you changed... and then NEXT again, to save the settings?!
Old 01 April 2012, 12:39 PM
95Kaira
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
This might be clutching at straws but worth mentioning...

When you made those changes, you did press the NEXT button to get out of the last parameter you changed... and then NEXT again, to save the settings?!
Can't recall exactly, but every time I went back into that menu, the changes I'd made we're still there.. My afr gauge doesn't seem to read worth a damn at the best of times so I'm hoping to put a wideband in instead soon. Going to take the injectors out again and see if there are any clues there.... Thanks again.
Old 01 April 2012, 12:41 PM
95Kaira
Scooby Regular

Actually, I don't think I did press Next like u said. I'll double check that when I'm at the garage next. Worth a try!
Old 01 April 2012, 02:15 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Worth doing. But seeing as the changes were showing upon going back in, should be okay anyway.

But yeah, defo rule that out buy making the changes again and pressing NEXT twice.
Old 01 April 2012, 03:29 PM
95Kaira
Scooby Regular

Default re Power FC

Done that. Pressing Next while 'on' one of the parameters of the injector settings actually doesnt seem to do anything. I have to use the arrows to move the cursor, and the only way out of the menu is pressing the 'back' button or whatever it was called.

I removed the injectors just now, and I found one lower o-ring had been nicked slightly along its outer edge, just a few millimetres, so I replaced it, and another was ever-so-slightly misshapen, but not obviously damaged, so I replaced that too. Made sure the injector 'caps' were seated properly on top of the injectors and screwed in securely, but she still runs ilke ****. I imagine the plugs will need cleaned or replaced again after the few minutes of ****ty running she did, but I'm out of time today to deal with them. Didnt notice any change or improvement so far.