quick question about inlet manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2012, 05:26 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question about inlet manifolds

hi

My plan was to stick my inlet manifold from a V3 wrx wagon onto the V5/6 sti heads of a new long engine.

I am led to beleive this will not work...? Can anyone confim please?

Many thanks,

Ash
Old 14 March 2012, 05:41 PM
WMS
Scooby Regular

Don't even think about it, much easier to fit your heads to the v5 bottom end
Old 14 March 2012, 05:50 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WMS
Don't even think about it, much easier to fit your heads to the v5 bottom end
Thanks for the quick reply! well the long engine i am getting is complete in that repect so only be using auxilaries from my old (broken!) engine where possible.

So i will have to buy V5/6 inlet, anything else to go with them..... Dreading the answer to this!!
Old 14 March 2012, 07:11 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

Or should i be asking if there is ANYTHING off my v3 inlet that will go onto V5/6 inlet??

thinking i will need new throttle body, coil pack, injectors... etc? Bloody confusing!
Old 15 March 2012, 10:46 AM
WMS
Scooby Regular

Its not that simple, the whole wiring loom/ecu for your car is setup differently so it really isnt a conversion anyone ever does, to swap the heads over will take a few hours to do and is a straight forward job. Trust me I build Subaru engines for my living.
Old 15 March 2012, 12:04 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WMS
Its not that simple, the whole wiring loom/ecu for your car is setup differently so it really isnt a conversion anyone ever does, to swap the heads over will take a few hours to do and is a straight forward job. Trust me I build Subaru engines for my living.
Thanks again for getting back to me thing is the heads of the new engine are built up with Cosworth cams and springs etc so don't really want to be taking everything to bits.

I have bought an inlet manifold from a V5 sti complete with loom, injectors, throttle body, coil packs. Hopefully this will solve a few problems at once!
Old 16 March 2012, 10:58 AM
WMS
Scooby Regular

This is the last time I'm going to reply, it's not that simple, I really, really wouldn't try doing it.
Your first post said "i'm led to believe this won't work, can anyone confirm"
You've asked for advice, ive given it.
If your not going to listen, dont ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16 March 2012, 11:42 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

as above 99/00 loom,ecu everything is different. you need everything from a 99 car to put into the earlier shell. its not worth it
Old 16 March 2012, 11:55 AM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WMS
This is the last time I'm going to reply, it's not that simple, I really, really wouldn't try doing it.
Your first post said "i'm led to believe this won't work, can anyone confirm"
You've asked for advice, ive given it.
If your not going to listen, dont ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
woah, ok ok! I was trying to gain an understanding of what the problems would be and if the V3 inlet fits the V5 heads. They don't so i bought a V5 inlet with loom, injectors etc etc. Don't really want to swap heads and stuff as it is a brand new forged 2.1 with uprated valves, springs, cams. I have no where to work on the car so the garage is doing the transplant for me and for the price of the extra labour i thought i may as well supply them with the suitable V5/6 parts rather then having them split and change out the heads on both engines, etc. £100 for complete V5 inlet wasn't too bad and yeah i need to look at new engine management but selling my old Apexi should mean there is very little loss there. I'm sure i will run into more problems like sensors not plugging into the new loom but for the price of second hand sensors and the number of breakers there are these days it's not the end of the world.

I have no doubt in my mind that you would run circles round me if we were side by side working on an engine each (embarrassingly so!!), but with the greatest respect being told it is difficult and don't do it without much in the way of an explanation as to why (loom, ecu, inlet which i went and bought as i said) wasn't really enough of an argument to to change my mind.

If anyone wants to give me specifics like the ignition won't link up, none of the V3 sensors will work with new loom, turbo inlet won't fit, V3 intercooler won't fit, none of the clocks will work, please do!! i await with baited breath and clenched buttocks!!!
Old 27 October 2012, 09:59 PM
redscoobymann
Scooby Regular

Did you get this work done as I'm doing exactly the same thing today and need to figure out the wiring to fit the v5/6 inlet manifold. I think I can make everything work but the plug to the throttle sensor and idle control are different so I need to figure this out.
Old 28 October 2012, 01:23 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seeing as you need to fit your shiny new stroker engine

http://www.carldavey.co.uk/product.php?id=16

Mick