Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2012, 09:24 AM
l8rns
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What oils to use on a full service? Advice Please

Hi,

I am new to this forum, so i jus want to say a big hello firstly to everyone,

Secondly i want to do a FULL major service on my car inc ALL the oils etc, But i would like to know what the best/advised oil is to use and the quantitys that i need, as i have never owned a subaru , i have have had many evo's in the past and would just like abit of help

ok i have a 2000 X reg (bug eye) sti Jap import with a 6 speed box.

So if anyone could help me it would be much appriciated

THANKS!!
Old 12 March 2012, 10:57 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have never serviced a subaru before then I would suggest going to a dealer as they can be tempremental and you can cause engine damage.
If you want a full service then I would take my car to Prosport in Stockport, there isnt much Pete doesnt know about these cars, their number is 0161 432 9999, yes it will cost you more than doing it yourself but it gets done properly, that is the main thing

Tony
Old 13 March 2012, 12:18 AM
l8rns
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Tony,

what i forgot to mention is that i need to get all the bits for the service and i know a guy the will do it but i just want to make sure i buy the correct bits lol

so if anyone can help please do

many thanks
Old 13 March 2012, 07:42 AM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Import car parts do service kits e.g oil and filter, air filter, fuel etc.

I have just done a full service on my bug and replaced :
Oil and filter
Gearbox and rear diff oil
Coolant
Air filter
Pollen filter
Spark plugs
Fuel filter

I bought the oils from opie oils because at the time they were a good deal, you will have to have a check though because they are not always the cheapest.

I got the remaining items from import car parts / trusted sellers on eBay.

As for servicing , I always service all my cars and the girlfriends and the scooby is the easiest to work on with routine maintenance tasks (not the plugs though). When your mechanic mate is doing the work make sure he per fills the oil filter and crank the engine with crank sensor disconnected to build up pressure before firing up for first time.
Old 13 March 2012, 11:40 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above. The Impreza is as easy to service the general items as any other car.
Things to remember: Plugs will need the removal of the air box on one side and the screen wash bottle on the other. Got to get the socket extensions right to remove the plugs - can be a bit awkward. Thinking about it is worse than actually doing it!
Pre-fill filter and preferably crank engine until oil light goes out, to prime oil galleries, as above post. The crank sensor is awkward, under the alternator. Moving the belt cover helps a bit. If you time the order of doing things, it's best to crank engine with the plugs out, to reduce load (dip the clutch as well) The check engine light will be on for the first few starts after re-connecting sensor - this is normal. The 6 speed box has two drain plugs - under the front diff and on the small sump at bottom of gearbox, covered by a plastic shield. Gearbox takes 4.1 litres Rear diff needs little explanation and takes 0.8 litres

Engine - 4.5 litres 5/40 full syn or 10/40 semi syn.
Gearbox and rear diff. - 75/90

So, you'll need 5 litres of each.

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 13 March 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 13 March 2012, 01:31 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Millers is a good choice as above although for an STI I would recommend 10w 40 fully synthetic
Old 14 March 2012, 09:00 PM
l8rns
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Guys,

What brand oils do i get?

Also what bout spark plugs?
Old 14 March 2012, 09:15 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Millers! Lol. You'll get different recommendations based on what people use. I swear by Millers which I've used in all my imprezas, it is top end stuff. Others use Shell Helix, Motul, Fuchs. The Shell Helix isn't on par with the Millers IMHO, the others are. Use any of the four listed and you'll be fine.
The only spark plug I would recommend is the NGK PFR7B for car running moderate power levels. You would be okay with the NGK PFR6B but if you have any mods the 7Bs will be a better bet as they'll handle more power.
Old 14 March 2012, 09:34 PM
l8rns
Scooby Newbie

Thanks!

i just checked on ebay and its sayin them spark plugs are for the 92-2000 shape, are they the correct ones for my bug eye sti import?
Old 14 March 2012, 09:45 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by l8rns
Thanks!

i just checked on ebay and its sayin them spark plugs are for the 92-2000 shape, are they the correct ones for my bug eye sti import?
It's what I've got in my car (running 435 bhp). You should be able to get them from any motor spares shop.
Old 14 March 2012, 11:29 PM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by l8rns
Thanks!

I have PFR6B's in my bug , as they seem to be the recommended choice however I notice from a user manual I acquired in PDF form that PFR6G is the spec of choice - not sure on the differences.

As for oils , you will have to make your own mind up on that as everyone has their own preference. I have used millers CFS in the past, just put some fully synthetic shell helix ultra in my bug