advise please

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2012, 09:12 PM
nathanj1102
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advise please

hi people just brought a wrx jap import
what suggestions do you lot have on what exhaust i should fit and what engine mods are a good idea for a bit more power but still being safe on the engine
thanks
nath
Old 12 March 2012, 11:01 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Which model year?
Old 13 March 2012, 09:03 PM
nathanj1102
Scooby Newbie

its a 97 on an r plate
Old 14 March 2012, 02:49 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

97WRX is a very nice and much underrated car. I saw the pics on general, very nice and tidy example - make a great sleeper as it is with the low rear spoiler and standard look. Of course, plenty of options to make it as subtle or outrageous as you want :-)

Engine and transmission, the car comes somewhere near 280bhp as standard. There are some mods you can make to raise this to approaching 350bhp before it starts getting expensive.

Decat and large bore exhausts are popular and everywhere. Pretty much every impreza in the world has an aftermarket exhaust on it and I think yours is no exception by the looks of the pics. So it is worth working out what you've got, and whether you want it louder / quieter / more free flowing.

The turbo is a VF22 which is a very capable turbo and can run 330-340bhp. So I'd recommend sticking with that unless you're changing everything!

The weaknesses in the standard setup that you'd need to rectify to run near this sort of power are the intercooler and the fuel system. Fix these and a remap should get you to 330-340bhp or so.

Intercooler options are an STi top mount intercooler and fittings which is a nice subtle upgrade or a front mount intercooler which stops heat soak and is the best for keeping charge temps under control and making power, but can make the car look a bit more aggressive - depending on install etc. Also, an FMIC can sometimes upset the airflow metering into the engine and need a remap to run smoothly after fitting. The intercooler won't release much extra power on its own, but it will help the engine to run more safely with what you've got, and will make a big difference if remapped.

The standard fuel system is probably limited to around 310bhp (varies from car to car). An uprated fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator allow nearer 340bhp, although again you'll need a remap to take advantage.

To go much beyond 340-350 bhp, you'll need: new con rods, new pistons, new gearbox, new turbo, injectors... that's when it starts to get expensive!

Don't forget brakes and suspension as well, though. I've wittered for long enough so I might let someone else talk about those for you!
Old 14 March 2012, 11:31 PM
nathanj1102
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your replie I want to keep the car as standard looking as possible so power would be what I'm after I will look into my options thanks again for your help