Front mount info....

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2012, 11:43 AM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front mount info....

Good Morning chaps and chapesses,

I have been toying with the idea of a front mount for some time now…

There are many, many arguments for and against and that is not the reason I have started this thread! My questions and concerns are as follows,

1. Do I need to buy a new front mount or would a second hand one suffice?
2. Are there any makes I want to avoid, or look for (I note plenty of new fmic on eBay for around £180?.. avoid?!)
3. Is there a special paint I should use (or none at all!) for a stencil on the ic?
4. Is this a simple enough job to DIY? (bumper already cut) I know we all have various levels of competency but my housemate is a mechanic… any special tools needed etc?
5. Will the car NEED mapping again?
6. Is there a chance I could lose power?

Any advice would be much appreciated or anything else you can think of?! …. I have trawled through threads to find all these answer but I am struggling!

Thanks in advance J

Rob
Old 16 February 2012, 12:13 PM
JamieJerkovic
Scooby Regular

I'd be intrested to know the answers to these questions!
Old 16 February 2012, 12:24 PM
greg320
Scooby Regular

all depends what power you want to run, an sti tmic will do you upto 400 ish bhp, it would require a remap with a fmic fitted

Last edited by greg320; 16 February 2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 16 February 2012, 12:27 PM
Hos Hosslehoff
Scooby Regular

The way I see it is if your gonna do it, do it right. I wouldn't touch eBay specials. I have a forge big pipe intercooler kit and a 20g turbo. Even after that and other mods I've only gone from standard 276 to 322bhp. And yes you need to map it after. Second hand is fine providing its clean inside and has no leaks. Job is easy enough if you have the patience
Old 16 February 2012, 12:50 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

First off, any talk of running 350bhp+ on a top mount then your going into the teritory of it being a restriction so i'd stay well clear.

1. New can be had cheap enough, harvey does a very good kit that isn;t mega ,oney, means you'll get all the parts you need and in new condition.

2. as said stay clear of ebay, the inside is far more important than how they look on the outside, alot of the ebay ones are very poor quality meaning airflow inside is crap.

3. personaly looks meh imo, however be aware that any coating on the intercool can reduce how efficient it is (assuming you used bog standard paint, you can get special thermal transfer paints though)

4. depends how good with mechincal stuff, it involves ******* the bumper, cutting a hole in the front wing etc etc.

5. budget for it because you won't know till you fit it and get it on a dyno to find out what afr's etc are doing, it may or may not throw a wabbly, you are best off getting it mapped though so personaly i;d fit then map, not just fit.

6. cheap front mount you may, get a decent one and you wont, car may loose responsivness if not mapped for it though. once setup and mapped they don't make any notisable difference to responce (despite what some camps will claim)
Old 16 February 2012, 12:50 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hos Hosslehoff
The way I see it is if your gonna do it, do it right. I wouldn't touch eBay specials. I have a forge big pipe intercooler kit and a 20g turbo. Even after that and other mods I've only gone from standard 276 to 322bhp. And yes you need to map it after. Second hand is fine providing its clean inside and has no leaks. Job is easy enough if you have the patience

holy cow, that must be lag central
Old 16 February 2012, 12:55 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

Interesting stuff... well it is currently running about 340bhp, more than anything I want it for looks! Might go more power in the future but for now reliability is key....

It was remapped 18 months ago, would it be due a refresher anyway you recon?!
Old 16 February 2012, 12:58 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
First off, any talk of running 350bhp+ on a top mount then your going into the teritory of it being a restriction so i'd stay well clear.

1. New can be had cheap enough, harvey does a very good kit that isn;t mega ,oney, means you'll get all the parts you need and in new condition.

2. as said stay clear of ebay, the inside is far more important than how they look on the outside, alot of the ebay ones are very poor quality meaning airflow inside is crap.

3. personaly looks meh imo, however be aware that any coating on the intercool can reduce how efficient it is (assuming you used bog standard paint, you can get special thermal transfer paints though)

4. depends how good with mechincal stuff, it involves ******* the bumper, cutting a hole in the front wing etc etc.

5. budget for it because you won't know till you fit it and get it on a dyno to find out what afr's etc are doing, it may or may not throw a wabbly, you are best off getting it mapped though so personaly i;d fit then map, not just fit.

6. cheap front mount you may, get a decent one and you wont, car may loose responsivness if not mapped for it though. once setup and mapped they don't make any notisable difference to responce (despite what some camps will claim)

Brilliant info! Re-map is sounding crucial and I wasnt aware of the wing alteration... deffo a garage job I recon then! Harvey has been emailing me recently actually, I will get a quote for the kit off him... sweet
Old 16 February 2012, 12:58 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

at 340 you should see a bit of a hike in power (assuming other parts have head room). Perhaps maybe 10-20bhp.

However, you will pretty much 100% need it mapped when you fit it, when i put that i hadn't realised it was already mapped for a top mount.

the custom map will more than likley not cope with the change
Old 16 February 2012, 02:00 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

Ooo! More power is always good! Well I think it is compulsary to re-map by the sounds of things... never simple is it!!! But worth it to get it right!

Thanks for all the imput Tidgy!