Notices

Advice on back box, BOV and general mods for hawkeye WRX

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2012, 12:18 PM
NickD86
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on back box, BOV and general mods for hawkeye WRX

Hi people, fairly new to the forum after buying an '06 hawkeye wrx just before xmas as a little present for meself :-) upto now i love it (with the exception of it being too quiet). Xmas is out the way and im looking to start modding it. Ill list the mods im generally going to be looking for below..any advice would be appreciated:

STI style spoiler (possibly the carbon one off scoobyworld)
Panel filter
Backbox (for now, been lookng at afterburner vortex, ninja 2 and tornado) i'd like it loud, but preferably with a bung to quieten it if the neighbours at my flat take offence because the garage is directly beneath them.. Losers)
BOV (hks ssqv maybe? £280 for a bov is too much but Ive seen them on ebay for around £100..will they be genuine or fakes?)
Advice on smoking head/tail lights.

Any info on the above, or with anything else you would recommend would be a big help :-D

Thanks
Nick
Old 08 January 2012, 12:22 PM
NickD86
Scooby Newbie

Oh yeah and if any1 knows any good sites for some new rims..probably looking at black or anthracite. If any1 has replaced the standard 17" wheels with 18", is there a noticeable difference in the ride quality? I'd like 18's, but im happy with the ride at the min on 17's and wouldnt want to make it too firm like my mates civic type r (backbreaking at times)...
Old 08 January 2012, 12:37 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Sound like good plans mate, although be prepared to get flamed by some on here if you are thinking of fitting a VTA BOV.
Old 08 January 2012, 01:04 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

[quote=NickD86;10418606]Hi people, fairly new to the forum after buying an '06 hawkeye wrx just before xmas as a little present for meself :-) upto now i love it (with the exception of it being too quiet). Xmas is out the way and im looking to start modding it. Ill list the mods im generally going to be looking for below..any advice would be appreciated:

STI style spoiler (possibly the carbon one off scoobyworld)
Panel filter
Backbox (for now, been lookng at afterburner vortex, ninja 2 and tornado) i'd like it loud, but preferably with a bung to quieten it if the neighbours at my flat take offence because the garage is directly beneath them.. Losers)
loudest would probably be the Blitz Nur Spec R
BOV (hks ssqv maybe? £280 for a bov is too much but Ive seen them on ebay for around £100..will they be genuine or fakes?) Dont go for A BOV there is no need
Advice on smoking head/tail lights. Leave tailight alone front ones you can de tango though

maybe also think of a walbro fuel pump / decat / VF43 from a hawk STI and a remap

plenty of mappers on here

Steve

Last edited by stevemoir; 08 January 2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08 January 2012, 01:05 PM
mogs132
Scooby Regular

sounds good im in the same boat bought a hawkeye not so long ago and love it.
some people on here have pritty strong opinions on dump valves but i love the sound of them.
i also looked at the hks but soo expensive i bought a new japspeed one, and absolutly love it, would prefer it if it blew off at lover revs but about 4-5k its like a quiet chatter but above 5 k revs it proper dumps sounds really good, well chuffed for 60-70 quid, thats on an sti tho duno if it would be different on a wrx?
Old 08 January 2012, 01:11 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

My advise is gfb deceptor bov as can be adjusted between recirc and v.t.a so best of both worlds. Stay away from cheap ssqv unless you def sure its not a copy. Exhaust wise my japspeed 3inch system sounds nice and can be bunged but not as loud as a nur spec. Map recomended tho with and change of system. Rear lights id try get some blobeye ones. This is all my opinion tho and all that maters is that your happy with how it sounds and looks.
Old 08 January 2012, 01:14 PM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

I've got a full japspeed aystem up for sale if your looking including bung.
Old 08 January 2012, 09:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Great idea, fit a VTA BOV, ruin your fuelling, and possibly your engine. Good plan
Old 09 January 2012, 09:06 AM
mogs132
Scooby Regular

just out of interest as im still new to impreza but how does it ruin fueling?
Old 09 January 2012, 09:16 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The map is set to run with an amount of air returned via the recirc BOV and alters the fueling to account for the that. If you fit a VTA you will run rich momentarily when you come off boost as that air is vented rather than recirc'd. Some people fit VTAs and have no issues, other get all sorts of problems with hesitation etc.

Scaremongers will also talk about bore-wash, but the amounts of over-fueling being considered here it is only an issue if there are other problems to compound it such as an over-fueling car anyway, or leaking injector. It is worth considering that the safety margin in the factory maps means that most imprezas can be leaned out if remapped as the fuel map runs too rich in my opinion.
Old 09 January 2012, 12:15 PM
NickD86
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by nortonscooby
My advise is gfb deceptor bov as can be adjusted between recirc and v.t.a so best of both worlds. Stay away from cheap ssqv unless you def sure its not a copy. Exhaust wise my japspeed 3inch system sounds nice and can be bunged but not as loud as a nur spec. Map recomended tho with and change of system. Rear lights id try get some blobeye ones. This is all my opinion tho and all that maters is that your happy with how it sounds and looks.
Hmm might leave the BOV for now then, as for a remap, theres a guy at silverstone autosport in deeside who is gonna sort it for me in the spring or sumthin (unless any1 has any recommendations), i've switched from a 1.2 fiesta so i'm still in the honeymoon period when it comes to how it goes/handles..so i'm gonna concentrate on the visual/audio side of things first i reckon

Originally Posted by birchy2010
I've got a full japspeed aystem up for sale if your looking including bung.
Just gonna go with a back box for now mate thanks

Originally Posted by alcazar
Great idea, fit a VTA BOV, ruin your fuelling, and possibly your engine. Good plan
Surely if they were that bad nobody would use them? or are they just better for more highly tuned rides? Soz i'm new to all this

Has anyone had a scoobysports back box, any thoughts?

And how about the ride difference in switching from 17's to 18's?

Nice 1 every1
Old 09 January 2012, 04:34 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The reason why VTA BOV's are fitted usually falls in 2 categories:-

1) Some owners really like/want that whoosh noise...

and/or...

2) When going FMIC, it's much easier to run a VTA than a recirc (as you don't have to faff around with contriving a recirc pipe back to the turbo intake). It'll be mapped for, so no worries (unless the VTA BOV is of ****e quality/worn out, and starts to creep open when on boost.

Last edited by joz8968; 09 January 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09 January 2012, 04:44 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

If your having your car mapped then have it mapped with the VTA dump valve if you want one, then it can be corrected to suit it and will be fueling correctly. Shouldn’t get any problems then.

Had mine mapped with the HKS SSQV on cos I’m a chav and like the noise! No problems since!
Old 09 January 2012, 06:05 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Dont want to upset any member but be honest guy how many of you against v.t.a had them fitted on your rs turbos,uno's and 5gtt's back in the day? I personally got standard recirc on my scoob but not against v.t.a each to there own and as ive said if its your car and you happy stuff everyone else.